Week 10 - New England (7-2) @ Tennessee (4-4) - We are on to Nashville

SBLIII

I rewatched the game in all 22, some of my key notes:
(only watched the O)

• Brady was pretty inconsistent with his accuracy
  • From first drive on he was locked on to Gordon. There were at least 5 plays were i didnt even go through  his reads.
  • Oline was shaky at best but a better play calling could have made up for that
  • The got away from running plays pretty early, made it worse for the OL
  • Play calling was just awfull. So many deep routes. On some plays the called 3 go routes...
  • Worst play on O: Fake to White, Fake to Patterson, Gordon on Go-Route into the endzone. Was double covered.
  • Pretty bad time management just before halfe time. He let the Titans took to much time of the clock
  • Dumb off in the flatzones were uncoverd most of the time
  • Dont know why Brady went to Hollister on 3&4 on a slant. He hardly played meaningfull snaps this year...
  • I think the called only 2 screens all game
  • When dink and dunk flashed it worked pretty well...

Please dont grill me ;)

3 hours ago, Khal Guese said:

I rewatched the game in all 22, some of my key notes:
(only watched the O)

• Brady was pretty inconsistent with his accuracy
  • From first drive on he was locked on to Gordon. There were at least 5 plays were i didnt even go through  his reads.
  • Oline was shaky at best but a better play calling could have made up for that
  • The got away from running plays pretty early, made it worse for the OL
  • Play calling was just awfull. So many deep routes. On some plays the called 3 go routes...
  • Worst play on O: Fake to White, Fake to Patterson, Gordon on Go-Route into the endzone. Was double covered.
  • Pretty bad time management just before halfe time. He let the Titans took to much time of the clock
  • Dumb off in the flatzones were uncoverd most of the time
  • Dont know why Brady went to Hollister on 3&4 on a slant. He hardly played meaningfull snaps this year...
  • When dink and dunk flashed it worked pretty well...

Please dont grill me ;)

Nice post and well done on watching the 22 to provide feedback. I'd query the following with you

"Oline was shaky at best but a better play calling could have made up for that"

I thought there were times the OL completely torpedoed plays. Early in the second, there was play call; Play Action deep pass right to Hogan on a post. The safety for whatever reason bit down viciously on the PA - Hogan had inside leverage and was wide open - possibly a TD, but definitely a big play. Brady didn't even have time to find him, he was ducking with interior in his face. I think other times he had open receivers (good playcalls) but the pressure was too much

Worst play on O: Fake to White, Fake to Patterson, Gordon on Go-Route into the endzone. Was double covered.

Was that the one he threw it miles short? I think that's a throwaway. Worst play for me was either the very first play (White nearly snapped leg on a hospital ball whilst Patterson is open for miles) or any of the forced Gordon ones

When dink and dunk flashed it worked pretty well

Looked to me like they had White covered pretty well. Edelman was open on one underneath route that I remember, but Brady threw a bad ball, and Logan broke it up.

Overall, I completely agree with the rest. Especially the running game point and the gordon point. Worst I've seen Brady for a while.

3 hours ago, Khal Guese said:

I thought one of the big reasons the Titans won was because they prioritized shutting down the screen game to force Brady to do more than just dump the ball off. They shut down a screen on maybe the first or second play from scrimmage that probably knocked the team's confidence in the screen game a little.

Was that the one he threw it miles short? I think that's a throwaway. Worst play for me was either the very first play (White nearly snapped leg on a hospital ball whilst Patterson is open for miles) or any of the forced Gordon ones

Yes, thats the play I meant. He had to throw away cause gordon was the only player behind the LOS. Everyone else was blocking and Patterson was sneaking to the flat.
Pretty optimistic idea i think.

Looked to me like they had White covered pretty well. Edelman was open on one underneath route that I remember, but Brady threw a bad ball, and Logan broke it up.

Dont remember exactly how coverd Julian was but Allen was open very often. Easy completions for ~5 yds at least.

I thought one of the big reasons the Titans won was because they prioritized shutting down the screen game to force Brady to do more than just dump the ball off. They shut down a screen on maybe the first or second play from scrimmage that probably knocked the team's confidence in the screen game a little.

Dont know why. But the second one worked for nearly 12yds.

Overall a really bad showing. And the defense gave them enough opportunities to catch up

I'm not one for conspiracies or stealing signals or anything, but I have to believe there is some merit in this inside-knowledge stuff. Lewis MUST knows some protection calls, teams don't change up drastically from one year to the next - there simply isn't time. I think their D played brilliantly, as did DET's, but I reckon there was a handicap there. It's interesting that no line gave us as much trouble as the TEN one. We played CHI with Mack (albeit slightly hobbled), the JJ Watt-led Texans, and both didn't even get close. 

Play.png

This was kind of a signature play against the Titans. Sometime they changed Hogans route to a Go route.
It made it pretty easy for the Titans to make Brady rattled when you need so much time to getting a open WR.
And mostly White stayed at home and Allen was a dump off.
But never used not once. Brady wanted the deep completion.

On 13/11/2018 at 10:10 PM, Khal Guese said:

Play.png

This was kind of a signature play against the Titans. Sometime they changed Hogans route to a Go route.
It made it pretty easy for the Titans to make Brady rattled when you need so much time to getting a open WR.
And mostly White stayed at home and Allen was a dump off.
But never used not once. Brady wanted the deep completion.

That looks well covered, doesn't it. Can't spot the isolated defender here. 

It's an Ohio concept on the left, with 2 receivers and 3 defenders - if the safety takes Edelman. There's even a 4th available (the right LBer who looks to be back pedalling)

And it looks something like a follow concept on the right, with a deep dig. Again, well covered. Corner backing into his deep zone so has Hogan, can't tell if the defender near Allen is blitzing or covering Allen, but even if he's blitzing, there's the rat (safety/LB) there to pick him up (that's probably what is happening).

White should absolutely been in play

Jap, the titans did a very good job covering those plays. And McD keept dialing it up again and again.
As I said, when used the dink and dunk worked pretty fine.

And it looks something like a follow concept on the right, with a deep dig. Again, well covered. Corner backing into his deep zone so has Hogan, can't tell if the defender near Allen is blitzing or covering Allen, but even if he's blitzing, there's the rat (safety/LB) there to pick him up (that's probably what is happening).

Allen was open. He blocked him for one sec. than Cannon picked him up.
The defender you mentioned reacted pretty slow. Could have been a fast hit to Allen for at least 5yds.

8 hours ago, Asciimo said:

I don't think brady likes throwing to allen and for good reason. Remember the pre-Gronk days with Ben Watson? he was never utilized correctly here.

I think it's about time that Thomas E Brady started throwing to people he doesn't like, if they're open. How many forces to Gordon, when Hogan and Allen are open? There's 3 I can think of. 

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think it's about time that Thomas E Brady started throwing to people he doesn't like, if they're open. How many forces to Gordon, when Hogan and Allen are open? There's 3 I can think of. 

You think Brady doesnt like Hogan and is avoiding throwing to him?

9 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

You think Brady doesnt like Hogan and is avoiding throwing to him?

Not sure. I think he's starting to get a bit uncomfortable with him. I initially thought it was Hogan not getting open, but he's actually been open a fair bit. 

6 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I initially thought it was Hogan not getting open, but he's actually been open a fair bit. 

Has he? I haven't noticed myself. Each time he has gotten separation he has had to push off (and has gotten called for it a few times). 

16 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Totally agree on that. Especially when its a riskless throw. If he doesent want to throw it downfield, okay nevermind.

But otherwise its damaging the team chances on the following downs.

Archived