TNF GDT: Carolina Panthers at Pittsburgh Steelers

Malfatron

4 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

It’s an overreaction because you’re using one game, a Thursday night game at that, to confirm your view of them. The Steelers aren’t 31 points better than the Panthers.

What does a Thursday night game have to do with anything?

21 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Shades aren't needed. Reid did three things you can't do as a defender.

Dive head first (leaving your feet/Launching)

Did above move at a QB Sliding feet first, giving himself up!

Did above two while making contact with said QB head whether accidentally or not.

Couldn't be more clear cut and deserving of a Flag. Now immediate ejection? That's debatable, but not the flag.

The only thing I will quibble with you there on is the fact that Ben did slide very, VERY late (basically at about the same point Reid began to lower his shoulder for the hit).  You can't simply always side with the QB by saying he slid and gave himself up if the QB is going to wait until contact is imminent before dropping down.  That just puts the defender in an impossible position because its not like they can just stand there and assume the QB is going to slide, otherwise some QB would just run right past them.  

Long story short, if you are going to give yourself up you need to do it clearly and unambiguously so that the defender knows in time to pull up from any contact.  If you wait until a split second before the defender is about to make contact then you shouldn't get a free extra 15 yards out of it.

The other stuff about leading with the head and making contact with the head are still valid though, under the current rules.

14 hours ago, iknowcool said:

I forgot about the play where Cam, not the defender, somehow got flagged for the play above.  The Reid ejection was a joke and probably had more to do than just that play (he was also apparently drug tested for the 5th time last night).  And the NFL's consistency continues to be horrendous.  The Reid play was by the rule books a penalty, but he 100% shouldn't be fined considering they already went overboard with the ejection.

Again, watch when Cam actually begins his slide; its literally at the same moment the defender begins his tackling motion.  How on earth is the defender supposed to pull off of contact if he is already committed to contact when Cam even starts to slide.  When the defender started his hit Cam was running past him.  Had he not began that motion, Cam would simply have kept running for a bigger gain.

What are we asking defenders to do exactly?  Just not attempt to tackle QB's down the field, assuming they are going to slide?  I will repeat myself, if a QB wants the protection of the slide rule then they need to make it clear they are giving themselves up BEFORE the tackler initiates contact, NOT once contact is already imminent.

We're not talking about a defender tackle upright or high. They are literally diving towards the ground intentionally knowing said QB is Sliding. Let's not pretend otherwise. Reid knew what he was going to do from the jump. Punish the QB one way or the other for scrambling. 

Only difference here is what I call the Mike Vick rule. Are they diving head first where contact is allowed (Stupidity at it's finest) or feet first where you're protected by rule.

Reid like most defender's know exactly what their doing when diving head first at a sliding QB. Trying to make contact so they regret making said Run again. 

38 minutes ago, megatechpc said:

Again, watch when Cam actually begins his slide; its literally at the same moment the defender begins his tackling motion.  How on earth is the defender supposed to pull off of contact if he is already committed to contact when Cam even starts to slide.  When the defender started his hit Cam was running past him.  Had he not began that motion, Cam would simply have kept running for a bigger gain.

What are we asking defenders to do exactly?  Just not attempt to tackle QB's down the field, assuming they are going to slide?  I will repeat myself, if a QB wants the protection of the slide rule then they need to make it clear they are giving themselves up BEFORE the tackler initiates contact, NOT once contact is already imminent.

Well for starters don't completely drop your head so you can see what is going on. Sure, there will still be contact but if he keeps his head up and doesn't try to hit Cam late then he can at least attempt to pull off and while there may be contact refs usually don't flag the play (not that they flagged the play we are talking about but they 100% should have) if the defender attempts to avoid as much contract as possible.

11 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Where did I say it wasn’t a penalty? He said he slammed Bens head, that is different from saying he was his head to slam.  

The way you talked about it, you made it seem like it was stupid that Reid even got flagged.   But if that's not what youre saying, fair enough.

I agree he didnt slam Ben's head on purpose, and as stated, I dont think he shouldve been ejected....and i hope he doesnt get fined (but he will).   However, that's where the league is at right now.    QB's are coddled.

6 hours ago, showtime said:

What does a Thursday night game have to do with anything?

The NFL is random as it is, Thursday nights are as random as it gets. The road team is at huge disadvantage. Unless you  think the Steelers are that much better than the Panthers which is just as ridiculous. 

Archived