Week 10 GDT: Chaos in Cleveland

MWil23

Tune in Sunday at 1:00 on FOX, as you see your (checks the internet for record) 2-6-1 Cleveland Browns, marred in frustration

giphy.gif

Take on the red hot 4-4 Atlanta Falcons

tenor.gif?itemid=7614897

Greg Williams is in Charge

bane-gif-19.gif

Here's Dorsey's reaction:

tumblr_ocfcbiNNeG1udwsc5o2_500.gif

How will our depleted secondary do against their vaunted passing attack?

giphy.gif

Our fanbase at the stadium is losing its passion

2ob0.gif

On the bright side, we can always watch the Pittsburgh game tonight...hopefully this guy shows up:

giphy.gif

Our best chance of beating a villain is to become a villain the rest of the way and play spoiler...building on next year:

giphy.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=11629344

Maybe we can ruin things for a bunch of teams the rest of the way:

tumblr_netfuyvc9h1rrkahjo2_500.gif

We may have found our franchise QB:

giphy.gif

Tune in Sunday. There will be football.

BeautifulAccomplishedIrishwaterspaniel-s

20 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The sad reality is, we have forced so many turnovers, it has really covered up some glaring holes, in no particular order:

*DT: We need a run stuffing body inside and another guy besides Ogunjobi

*DE: How many snaps can Garrett play? Also, he's been extremely underwhelming against the run.

*Depth at the LB, S, and CB positions

And the funny thing is...despite all of that, we'd better load up on the OL and WR positions to give our young Franchise QB some dudes and try to address the D via stopgap free agents.

18 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Statistically it isn't quite as bad as that. On a per play basis we are about 25th in yards. We are actually 7th in drives that end in a score at 32.8%. Obviously we have been great at turning the ball over. Overall I would say the run defense has been terrible, the pass defense has been decent, thanks to the interceptions and overall they have been below average.

I think a lot of the failures is on the coaching, not adjusting or not adjusting soon enough. For as much as we send extra people to rush the QB we are 26th in sack percentage, that is a fail. We've also given up twice as many rushing touchdowns as an average defense.

38 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The sad reality is, we have forced so many turnovers, it has really covered up some glaring holes, in no particular order:

*DE: How many snaps can Garrett play? Also, he's been extremely underwhelming against the run.

And the funny thing is...despite all of that, we'd better load up on the OL and WR positions to give our young Franchise QB some dudes and try to address the D via stopgap free agents.

I think we’re gonna have to mix both vets and youth on both sides of the ball.

We need a pass rusher opposite Garrett and depth at LB.  Another 2 corners wouldn’t hurt. Obviously OT and WR on offense

I still think we have enough talent to be better than 30th defensively though.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think we’re gonna have to mix both vets and youth on both sides of the ball.

Oh, definitely. I should have specified and said our "high" draft picks, although if you somehow have a shot at a defensive STUD like Oliver/Bosa, you pull the trigger. We need a game-breaking WR on the outside and viable Red Zone threat. Our lack of any real red zone threats on the outside are a huge issue and problem for this team.

We need a pass rusher opposite Garrett and depth at LB.  Another 2 corners wouldn’t hurt. Obviously OT and WR on offense

We need at least 1 other pass rusher and IMO another rotational guy, unless Avery is that guy (but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being that other LB at some point). The LB play has been very underwhelming, and I think that we've also seen how good Schobert is because of how bad our defense is when he's not playing. I think that Collins gets cut next year, and I wouldn't be surprised if Kirksey was out the door in the next year or so either. I'd like to see us get LBs too, but I've also been saying that since 1999.

I'd rather have average OL play with elite weapons on (especially the outside) on offense than a great OL and mediocre skill players. We've been down that road before. The problem is, right now our OT situation isn't even average. It's a clear weakness, albeit maybe the UDFA kid we have turns into a decent option down the road. He's just not there yet.

I still think we have enough talent to be better than 30th defensively though.

Our lack of ability to stop the run IMO is as much based on scheme as it is anything else. I expected Mahomes to ball out on us due to injuries last week, not to mention he's on fire...but watching team after team gash us in the running game is infuriating. 

51 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Browns don’t need a run stuffing DT. Ppl act like the Browns get destroyed by Blasts, Dives, and traps. They just don’t. Browns give up the 3rd least ypc up in middle at 3.62. League avg is 4.3.  Now anything off tackle they are absolutely garbage. A big ole DT isn’t going to make plays on off tackle runs unless that dude is an absolute freak show. We had Shelton last year and he was never putting his foot in the ground and making plays down the LOS. 

Agree on everything tho

Just now, buno67 said:

Browns don’t need a run stuffing DT.

They at least need a rotational guy who is capable of being some type of 1-2 gap force inside as a 1 tech or rotational 3 tech.

Just now, buno67 said:

Ppl act like the Browns get destroyed by Blasts, Dives, and traps. They just don’t. Browns give up the 3rd least ypc up in middle at 3.62. League avg is 4.3.  Now anything off tackle they are absolutely garbage. A big ole DT isn’t going to make plays on off tackle runs unless that dude is an absolute freak show.

I never said he had to be big. I'm not talking about Danny Shelton or Gilbert Brown, but I am talking about a guy who is strong enough to win at the point of attack. See my above comment about Ed Oliver.

The other reality is that Garrett is absolute garbage against the run. He's young and still has time to develop, but right now, he's a liability there. Ogbah has regressed as well.

Just now, buno67 said:

We had Shelton last year and he was never putting his foot in the ground and making plays down the LOS. 

I don't really care if they make plays as long as they stay in their gap and don't get put on skates if our LB play is good enough. Right now, we don't really have either. It's not all on the LB's or all on the DT's, but there is clearly an issue there. Perhaps some of it is schematic (see, OSU), but I'd like to see us upgrade that DL and LB group as a whole if possible.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

As penance, I can no longer long, non-quality post for the foreseeable future.

After 32-page opus on Hakeem Butler's ankle depth:

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

I said I can no longer long, NON-quality post for the foreseeable future. This post was quality.

the dystpoia of Gotham city is a great reflection on the dystopia of the Cleveland Browns. 

Image result for applause gif

Last week was encouraging.

We can win this week if Baker has a big game.

Better run design for Chubb.

limit mistakes again, 4 penalties must of been a season low.

limit turnovers

the defense actually does something, whether it is making stops or getting turnovers, or holding out to field goals. appareantly the weather is getting worse in Cleveland, hopefully we are better prepared for it than they are. 

it would be Brownsy to be less prepared for bad weather in Ohio than a team from the South. 

hopefully we are healthier for this week, with the retun of Ward, Schobert, Higgins getting more into he game and Randall coming back. Hopefully we see some big nickel as well with Peppers in as WLB. 

Lets get a W.

Archived