Eric Washington impressions?

iknowcool

I'll put more of my thoughts in this thread when I have time to cool down and stuff but... honestly, would I be wrong in saying this guy needs to be fired or have his playcalling duties stripped away?  This is the most talented Panthers defense we've had in awhile other than maybe edge rushers (but the 2015 team wasn't strong at DE either and Addison is better now) yet easily our worst.  He's been bad all season, but he really put on a show tonight.  Dropping everyone in coverage and only a 2 man rush against the Steelers?!  And this was while the game was still in reach.  Leaving Jackson on an island with Brown.  

It was a short week on the road against a good Steelers team, I get it.  But I can forgive the OL for struggling because it actually seemed like an exception.  Washington's scheme has sucked all year and I can only imagine our defense would be even worse in ranking if not for the talent.

18 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

tnf on the road against a good team

these games arent canon

I understand that, which is why I'm not so mad about the loss.  It happens.

Eric Washington has been underwhelming the entire season though.  It's been bad to watch.  Even in the Eagles game, we really only allowed 17 points because the Eagles would dominate TOP and not get multiple possessions.  It's weird because this is the most talented secondary we've had in a long time, and the defensive line is at the very least equal to the ones from 2014-2017, yet we look so pathetic.  

Only sending 2 rushers against Ben one of the silliest things I've ever seen.

I think Washington's playcalling is part of the problem but the other problem is we just simply can't get off the field on 3rd down. Which is caused by the lack of pressure that our front 4 gets. KK has been pretty nonexistent the past couple weeks. Poe doesn't put any pressure and has been underwhelming. Peppers is solid and Addison makes some plays but we don't have any one that scares the offense. As a result, Washington has to blitz. However, he is blitzing way too much.

I don't know what will change but something has to. Giving up 52 points in the NFL let alone against the Panthers D should never happen

6 hours ago, RUN CMC said:

I think Washington's playcalling is part of the problem but the other problem is we just simply can't get off the field on 3rd down. Which is caused by the lack of pressure that our front 4 gets. KK has been pretty nonexistent the past couple weeks. Poe doesn't put any pressure and has been underwhelming. Peppers is solid and Addison makes some plays but we don't have any one that scares the offense. As a result, Washington has to blitz. However, he is blitzing way too much.

I don't know what will change but something has to. Giving up 52 points in the NFL let alone against the Panthers D should never happen

I'm thinking we'll have to go edge rusher in the 1st round for sure.  

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:14 PM, iknowcool said:

I'm thinking we'll have to go edge rusher in the 1st round for sure.  

I think it's definitely a possibility and should be at the top of our list. This year's draft class is shaping up to be very strong in DEs. Guys like Ferrell (probably out of our range - top 15), Sweat, Allen, and Polite look to be strong candidates in the 1st round.

Archived