Troy Aikman: Cowboys need complete franchise overhaul, starting with Jerry Jones

DigInBoys

Well I think Troy is just finally saying the same thing that everyone else has been saying for years (decades, really).  The fact that Jerrah holds his own postgame interviews in the locker room like he is one of the players or coaches is just ridiculous to me (not to mention all his radio shows and other media appearances throughout the season).  Clearly the guy craves the attention and his main goal is to get credit for being a football genius rather than a guy who lucked into billions of dollars in the oil industry who thought it'd be fun to buy a football team.  The only way the Cowboys are ever going to get back to the team they were in the 90's is if Jones (AND his son) steps away from the day-to-day operations/talent evaluations and hires real football people with full authority to run the team the way it needs to be run.  But that will never happen because Jerrah's ONLY desire is for the team to win a SB with HIM running the ship, so he can congratulate himself for pulling it off.

The plight of Dallas fans these last 2+ decades really makes me love and appreciate the owner we have down here in Atlanta!  Arthur Blank is absolutely everything Jerry Jones is NOT; he tries to put the right people in place to make the team a winner and does not interfere with their football decisions (and he's always willing to sign off on whatever checks that need to be written, no matter what).  He's also done all that while being a huge and humble leader in the community, doing all sorts of things for the city of Atlanta that often go unreported.  He also built their new incredible stadium (mandating that it MUST stay in downtown Atlanta) while also doing the little things for the fans like providing reasonable concession stand and ticket pricing.  Really, you can't argue with the success he's had either.  Since purchasing the team in 2001, the Falcons have enjoyed more success in the last 17 years than they had for the entire tenure of the Smith family as owners (from 1965-2001).  His team has been to the playoffs in 8 of 16 seasons, have had winning records for 5 consecutive years (2008-2012), have won 6 playoff games (prior to Blank the team had won 4 playoff games in the previous 35+ years!!!), been to a SB and two NFCCG's, and claimed their one and only #1 seed in the NFC ever (2010)*.  Compare that to the "success" that the Cowboys have had since 2001.

Its just such a real shame about 2016 as that should have been the reward for Mr. Blank for all the great things he has done for this city and franchise.  I felt so incredibly bad for him as the SB slipped away with him down on the field expecting to finally receive his championship.  Say what you will about the Falcons and "28-3" and all that other BS; Arthur Blank truly deserved that Lombardi and I just hope that they can somehow get him one before he passes...

(*Edit - Just remembered that the Falcons actually did get the #1 seed back in 1980)

On 11/9/2018 at 10:19 AM, TVScout said:

Extremely unlikely. The Cowboys won as many SBs as they could given the restraints placed upon the League by free agency and the salary cap.

I think his point was that Jerry ended up running Jimmy Johnson out of town (because he couldn't stand that Jimmy didn't give him the credit for the success of the team) and that they might have won a few more SB's had he remained in control of the organization.  I know Switzer won another one in 95, but it was with Jimmy's players, and clearly he had no notion of how to maintain the team's success after that.  

They probably need the following:

- Jerruh needs to admit once and for all that he doesn't know everything (or much) about football, and hire a GM and let him do his job.

- Hire a GM who will stand up to Jerruh when he starts to meddle.

- Hire a Head Coach who is at least mediocre.  They certainly do not have that right now.  It's amazing to think that both Sean Payton and Mike Zimmer were on the Tuna's staff when he was coaching in Dallas.  It must be horrible for an owner to think he had two guys like that in the building and you let both of them get away.

It's strange that their coaching situation has been so bad for so long.  At one time, they had one of the greatest coaches ever in Jimmy Johnson.  Jerruh couldn't keep his ego in check and he fired Johnson after the guy won two Super Bowls.  This long stretch of pathetic coaching is probably just karma coming back to bite Jerruh in the buttocks.

Eventually, Dallas will get it sorted out.  They are one of the league's iconic teams, and football is more fun when they are at the top of their game and their cheerleaders have something to get excited about.  :D

7 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Well I think Troy is just finally saying the same thing that everyone else has been saying for years (decades, really).  The fact that Jerrah holds his own postgame interviews in the locker room like he is one of the players or coaches is just ridiculous to me (not to mention all his radio shows and other media appearances throughout the season).  Clearly the guy craves the attention and his main goal is to get credit for being a football genius rather than a guy who lucked into billions of dollars in the oil industry who thought it'd be fun to buy a football team.  The only way the Cowboys are ever going to get back to the team they were in the 90's is if Jones (AND his son) steps away from the day-to-day operations/talent evaluations and hires real football people with full authority to run the team the way it needs to be run.  But that will never happen because Jerrah's ONLY desire is for the team to win a SB with HIM running the ship, so he can congratulate himself for pulling it off.

The plight of Dallas fans these last 2+ decades really makes me love and appreciate the owner we have down here in Atlanta!  Arthur Blank is absolutely everything Jerry Jones is NOT; he tries to put the right people in place to make the team a winner and does not interfere with their football decisions (and he's always willing to sign off on whatever checks that need to be written, no matter what).  He's also done all that while being a huge and humble leader in the community, doing all sorts of things for the city of Atlanta that often go unreported.  He also built their new incredible stadium (mandating that it MUST stay in downtown Atlanta) while also doing the little things for the fans like providing reasonable concession stand and ticket pricing.  Really, you can't argue with the success he's had either.  Since purchasing the team in 2001, the Falcons have enjoyed more success in the last 17 years than they had for the entire tenure of the Smith family as owners (from 1965-2001).  His team has been to the playoffs in 8 of 16 seasons, have had winning records for 5 consecutive years (2008-2012), have won 6 playoff games (prior to Blank the team had won 4 playoff games in the previous 35+ years!!!), been to a SB and two NFCCG's, and claimed their one and only #1 seed in the NFC ever (2010)*.  Compare that to the "success" that the Cowboys have had since 2001.

Its just such a real shame about 2016 as that should have been the reward for Mr. Blank for all the great things he has done for this city and franchise.  I felt so incredibly bad for him as the SB slipped away with him down on the field expecting to finally receive his championship.  Say what you will about the Falcons and "28-3" and all that other BS; Arthur Blank truly deserved that Lombardi and I just hope that they can somehow get him one before he passes...

(*Edit - Just remembered that the Falcons actually did get the #1 seed back in 1980)

Arthur Blank probably regrets building that new stadium. Stadium couldn't even sell out for their first home opener 😂 classic Atlanta fans at its best, terrible sports fans. 

Although I appreciate him building the stadium for the road teams fans to visit who actually show interest in football 😂 I Def would like to visit there soon 

20 hours ago, TVScout said:

That is the biggest myth of the modern NFL. Fast forward this to 40:15

They can try to change the narrative to make it sound whatever way they want, but it seems pretty obvious that Jerruh got mad and fired his coach after they had just won their second championship in two years.  It definitely seems like a move that an owner with a massive ego would make. 

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

They can try to change the narrative to make it sound whatever way they want, but it seems pretty obvious that Jerruh got mad and fired his coach after they had just won their second championship in two years.  It definitely seems like a move that an owner with a massive ego would make. 

Did you even watch the video? Jimmy said he was planning to leave the organization long before  Jerry "fired" him. In fact Jimmy was contemplating getting out at least a year before he was "fired".  Jimmy is no innocent victim of a tyrannical boss. He violated his contract as well as NFL regulations by talking about taking the Jags head coaching position.  That is called tampering. It is also unprecedented. Any other coach who talks that way would get fired on the spot. Indeed Jerry not only had cause to terminate he also had standing to sue Jimmy in court. That sort of professional treason is why Jerry will never put Jimmy on the Ring of Honor.

If you are an NFL franchise what would you do with a coach who stabbed you in the back?

Et tu Brutus.

6 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Did you even watch the video? Jimmy said he was planning to leave the organization long before  Jerry "fired" him. In fact Jimmy was contemplating getting out at least a year before he was "fired".  Jimmy is no innocent victim of a tyrannical boss. He violated his contract as well as NFL regulations by talking about taking the Jags head coaching position.  That is called tampering. It is also unprecedented. Any other coach who talks that way would get fired on the spot. Indeed Jerry not only had cause to terminate he also had standing to sue Jimmy in court. That sort of professional treason is why Jerry will never put Jimmy on the Ring of Honor.

If you are an NFL franchise what would you do with a coach who stabbed you in the back?

Et tu Brutus.

You are right. I think that Jimmy got sick of playing the bad cop, which is one of the reasons why he wanted to leave when he did.

Emmitt Smith in the video referred to the Orlando incident:

"It was at a hotel bar in Orlando at 5 a.m. on March 22, 1994, when Jones told SportsDay reporters Rick Gosselin and Ed Werder, "There are 500 coaches who could have won the Super Bowl with our team." A week later, Johnson was out as Cowboys coach."

Archived