Troy Aikman: Cowboys need complete franchise overhaul, starting with Jerry Jones

DigInBoys

8 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Emmitt Smith in the video referred to the Orlando incident:

"It was at a hotel bar in Orlando at 5 a.m. on March 22, 1994, when Jones told SportsDay reporters Rick Gosselin and Ed Werder, "There are 500 coaches who could have won the Super Bowl with our team." A week later, Johnson was out as Cowboys coach."

That incident happened several weeks AFTER Jimmy had decided to leave. It just made him leave sooner. His plan was to run one more draft then exit stage right. We must remember Jimmy had his own agenda which was to put himself into position to take Shula's job in Miami. 

Be careful what you wish for.

56 minutes ago, TVScout said:

That incident happened several weeks AFTER Jimmy had decided to leave. It just made him leave sooner. His plan was to run one more draft then exit stage right. We must remember Jimmy had his own agenda which was to put himself into position to take Shula's job in Miami. 

Be careful what you wish for.

I can't imagine the annoying stress for an NCAA National Champion and two-time Super Bowl winning coach like Johnson to work under the constantly meddling Jones. That team was built proper, they could've run off five SB's in a row if Jones hadn't messed it all up. 

8 hours ago, TVScout said:

Did you even watch the video? Jimmy said he was planning to leave the organization long before  Jerry "fired" him. In fact Jimmy was contemplating getting out at least a year before he was "fired".  Jimmy is no innocent victim of a tyrannical boss. He violated his contract as well as NFL regulations by talking about taking the Jags head coaching position.  That is called tampering. It is also unprecedented. Any other coach who talks that way would get fired on the spot. Indeed Jerry not only had cause to terminate he also had standing to sue Jimmy in court. That sort of professional treason is why Jerry will never put Jimmy on the Ring of Honor.

If you are an NFL franchise what would you do with a coach who stabbed you in the back?

Et tu Brutus.

Yes I did watch it.  I am still of the same opinion.  Maybe Jimmy didn't want to drag their dirty laundry out into the press?  I don't know.  All I do know is that he assembled an incredible team (admittedly, thanks in part to the Herschel Walker trade) and went on to win two Super Bowls.  After he left, what has Jerry Jones accomplished?  He was able to wring out one more Super Bowl win with Jimmy's team under another coach, but other than that, Cowboys fans have had to deal with mediocrity most of the time since then. 

12 hours ago, TVScout said:

Did you even watch the video? Jimmy said he was planning to leave the organization long before  Jerry "fired" him. In fact Jimmy was contemplating getting out at least a year before he was "fired".  Jimmy is no innocent victim of a tyrannical boss. He violated his contract as well as NFL regulations by talking about taking the Jags head coaching position.  That is called tampering. It is also unprecedented. Any other coach who talks that way would get fired on the spot. Indeed Jerry not only had cause to terminate he also had standing to sue Jimmy in court. That sort of professional treason is why Jerry will never put Jimmy on the Ring of Honor.

If you are an NFL franchise what would you do with a coach who stabbed you in the back?

Et tu Brutus.

It is not UNPRECEDENTED

Don Shula was hired by the Dolphins while he was still coaching the Colts.

The Dolphins lost draft picks over it.

Also, Dallas did not win in 1995 with ONLY Jimmy's players.

Deion Sanders was the most important piece on that team, and he was signed by owner and GM, Jerrah.

If Gruden gets credit for winning a Super Bowl then Jerrah gets credit for 1995 (even if it has been a clown show since then)

Every real HC Jimmy/Bill has wanted out because of Jerry's antics ,can you blame them? Only the Yes Men want to stay and stay employed. 

There's not a single other owner in the NFL including the Great Dan Snyder, who does what Jerry Jones does. Not one! Why because their not idiots. They let Coaches coach and GM's GM.

Talk radio, PC, Player Injury report, weekly interviews, GD weekly Podcast? You will hear more from Jerry Jones in a single season then maybe all other 30 owners (not Snyder) combined  probably. He's constantly on TV or in the media saying something, can't shut up. He's a Ego Maniac that I hope lives forever. 

Now go prove how brilliant you are and extend Jason Garrett ,Scott Linehan and Dak Prescott for the next 7yrs!! Please! They Just beat the Eagles, 2nd place NFCE, do it. Do it!!!! 👍

9 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Every real HC Jimmy/Bill has wanted out because of Jerry's antics ,can you blame them? Only the Yes Men want to stay and stay employed. 

There's not a single other owner in the NFL including the Great Dan Snyder, who does what Jerry Jones does. Not one! Why because their not idiots. They let Coaches coach and GM's GM.

Talk radio, PC, Player Injury report, weekly interviews, GD weekly Podcast? You will hear more from Jerry Jones in a single season then maybe all other 30 owners (not Snyder) combined  probably. He's constantly on TV or in the media saying something, can't shut up. He's a Ego Maniac that I hope lives forever. 

Now go prove how brilliant you are and extend Jason Garrett ,Scott Linehan and Dak Prescott for the next 7yrs!! Please! They Just beat the Eagles, 2nd place NFCE, do it. Do it!!!! 👍

This might be literally the worst assessment I've ever read on our front office.

Bill loved Jerry. He, along with other coaches, have defended Jerry multiple times.

Garrett has sucked more power away from Jones than any coach sense Jimmy. The exact opposite of a yes man.

Jerry does talk to the media a lot, but he is basically only GM in name. The trifecta of JG/SJ/McClay run the team now. Which has been reflected by the better drafting and more prudent cap spending.

23 hours ago, FinSting said:

I can't imagine the annoying stress for an NCAA National Champion and two-time Super Bowl winning coach like Johnson to work under the constantly meddling Jones. That team was built proper, they could've run off five SB's in a row if Jones hadn't messed it all up. 

How many Super Bowls did Jimmy win for Miami?

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

This might be literally the worst assessment I've ever read on our front office.

Bill loved Jerry. He, along with other coaches, have defended Jerry multiple times.

Garrett has sucked more power away from Jones than any coach sense Jimmy. The exact opposite of a yes man.

Jerry does talk to the media a lot, but he is basically only GM in name. The trifecta of JG/SJ/McClay run the team now. Which has been reflected by the better drafting and more prudent cap spending.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

16 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Maybe Jimmy didn't want to drag their dirty laundry out into the press?

xD

I don't know

That is why your opinion should be ignored.

After he left, what has Jerry Jones accomplished? 

What did Jimmy accomplish in Miami? 

You say that my opinion should be ignored.  Maybe so.  I'm not claiming to be an expert on the subject.  I just gave my two cents based on my impression of the situation as an outsider who isn't even a fan of the Cowboys. 

As far as what he accomplished in Miami, I don't know if that really proves a whole lot.  We could say the same thing about Bill Belichick in Cleveland.  Based on that, should we infer that Robert Kraft is the one most responsible for New England's success over the past 15 years?  Say what you want about Jimmy Johnson's time in Miami, but I don't think there are too many people, Cowboy fans or not, who would say that Jimmy didn't play a huge role in Dallas' success during his time there.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

You say that my opinion should be ignored.  Maybe so.  I'm not claiming to be an expert on the subject.  I just gave my two cents based on my impression of the situation as an outsider who isn't even a fan of the Cowboys. 

As far as what he accomplished in Miami, I don't know if that really proves a whole lot.  We could say the same thing about Bill Belichick in Cleveland.  Based on that, should we infer that Robert Kraft is the one most responsible for New England's success over the past 15 years?  Say what you want about Jimmy Johnson's time in Miami, but I don't think there are too many people, Cowboy fans or not, who would say that Jimmy didn't play a huge role in Dallas' success during his time there.

It's not that any Cowboys fan would argue Jimmy wasn't instrumetal; it's that a lot of people state he is the sole reason. Which is silly. Jerry was had his hand in that just as much as anyone if my the simple fact that he went out and hired a dude with no NFL experience and then proceeded to allow him to trade one of the franchises best players.

Just now, Matts4313 said:

It's not that any Cowboys fan would argue Jimmy wasn't instrumetal; it's that a lot of people state he is the sole reason. Which is silly. Jerry was had his hand in that just as much as anyone if my the simple fact that he went out and hired a dude with no NFL experience and then proceeded to allow him to trade one of the franchises best players.

Put me in the latter group.  I don't think Jimmy was the only reason.  Jerruh should be given plenty of credit as well.  As for one of your franchise's best players, thanks for that.  :S   LOL, I know what you mean though.   

22 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

As far as what he accomplished in Miami, I don't know if that really proves a whole lot.

It largely proves that Jimmy would not have been able to win 5 Super Bowls had he stayed in Dallas. Look at his draft lists while in Dallas and compare them to his lists while in Miami. They are filled with the same sort of players. Just like how he recruited the same type of players while at OSU and UM. Jimmy did NOT pick B.A.P. He wheeled and dealed to target and pick prospects with very specific skill sets. It is entirely reasonable to project him drafting exactly the same players if he had stayed in Dallas that he drafted while he was in Miami. Would those few good players have put the Cowboys back in the Super Bowl? Almost certainly not. By 1996 Emmitt and Irvin were over the hill and needed to be replaced. Replacements for players like that were not available in the 1997 or 1998 drafts.

We could say the same thing about Bill Belichick in Cleveland.

Why not? Bill runs teams the same way Jimmy did. Find the prospects that fit then maneuver to pick them. 

Based on that, should we infer that Robert Kraft is the one most responsible for New England's success over the past 15 years?  Say what you want about Jimmy Johnson's time in Miami, but I don't think there are too many people, Cowboy fans or not, who would say that Jimmy didn't play a huge role in Dallas' success during his time there.

Both sentences are irrelevant because we are talking about effect on the Cowboys if Jimmy had stayed in Dallas. That effect would have been minimal simply because the players needed to rebuild the team did not exist in the draft in 1997 or 1998. Jimmy drafted several highly rated WRs and RBs but all of them busted. 

Archived