Redskins designate Trey Quinn to return & Byron Marshall

turtle28

Washington designates wide receiver Trey Quinn to return from injured reserve

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/09/washington-designates-wide-receiver-trey-quinn-to-return-from-injured-reserve/ via @ProFootballTalk

Wide receiver Trey Quinn returned to practice on Thursday as he was designated to return off injured reserve for the Washington Redskins.

Quinn has missed the requisite eight weeks and can return to the active roster as soon as he’s healthy enough to do so. He can practice up to three weeks before Washington needs to add him back to their 53-man roster.

Washington already designated running back Byron Marshall to return from injured reserve. Quinn will be the final player they can bring back from the injured list this season.

We’ve missed these two - and honestly I didn’t think we would - with Crowder and CT’s injuries over the last month. Hopefully  by the time Marshall and Quinn are able to return though, Crowder & CT will be back and humming along as major parts of our passing offense once again.

Quinn, I get. Marshall? Okay, I suppose. Seems a bit odd though.

Still, it would be nice if NFL.com or redskins.com had a marker in their roster table of when the various players went on IR so you could calculate when they could return.

4 hours ago, Woz said:

Quinn, I get. Marshall? Okay, I suppose. Seems a bit odd though.

Still, it would be nice if NFL.com or redskins.com had a marker in their roster table of when the various players went on IR so you could calculate when they could return.

Gruden likes Marshall better than Bibbs - especially as a receiver - even though Bibbs has shown himself well in CTs absence and he likes Marshall better than Perine.

On 11/11/2018 at 4:55 AM, turtle28 said:

Gruden likes Marshall better than Bibbs - especially as a receiver - even though Bibbs has shown himself well in CTs absence and he likes Marshall better than Perine.

My first reaction was that it was kind of wasteful (I'm not convinced that Marshall would be any better than Bibbs/Thompson).

Then I went back and checked who was on IR and who else could have been designated to return (need to be on IR for 8 weeks so Apke, Lauvao, Richardson, and Scherff would only realistically be available in the ayoffplays, and that would be on limited practice time):

• Arie Kouandjio (IR on May 23rd) = torn quad [I don't know the recovery time from a torn quad, but he could have been a possibility]
  • Derrius Guice (IR on August 11th) = torn ACL [could be back in time for next preseason; not a possibility]
  • Manasseh Garner (IR on August 11th) = torn ACL [minor figure, could be back in time for next preseason, but might not be here; not a possibility]
  • Robert Davis (IR on August 13th) = broken leg and torn LCL [figure six weeks in a cast for the leg, plus 4-6 weeks just in rehab (maybe longer); long shot possibility]
  • Tyler Catalina (IR on September 1st) = shoulder surgery [reports at the time projected him being done for the entire season; long shot possibility]
  • Cam Sims (IR on September 11th) = surgery due to high ankle sprain [given how tough high ankle injuries are when they are mild, surgery means no possibility]
  • Rob Kelley (IR on September 18th) = toe injury

So, assuming that Kouandjio was a zero possibility and they didn't think that someone like Scherff would help them all that much even in the playoffs on limited practice time (he would be eligible to return on the last day of the regular season), the only three choices were Quinn, Marshall, and Kelley. Marshall over Kelley is a no-brainer, so I guess that's why they went that way.

5 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Kapri Bibbs gets no respect. He is so much better than Perine and Marshall. All he does, with limited touches, is produce in NFL games. 

While I like Bibbs a lot, Perine is the better inside the tackle runner and Marshall is a converted college WR, so he’s a good receiver out out of the backfield, which gives Jay the steamies.

The truth is that Bibbs the better all around RB though. I like Bibbs, I think he’s the perfect #3 RB bc he does everything although he does nothing exceptionally well but a back up needs to be versatile and a good special teams player and he is. Frankly, he’s not a bad #2 RB either, I like his game.

Archived