What defines “rebuilding” in sports, IYO? Does it always mean trading away your best players in their prime? I’m really curious.

ClutchDJ

There's a difference to a reload and a rebuild:

1.) A reload is where you have to replace a few key players. For example we went through a bit of a reload phase in 2009 after seeing cornerstone players like Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison, etc. no longer on the team.

2.) Rebuilding is where you have new pieces at the root; new front office, new coaches, new QB, etc. This is what Cleveland does every other year.

2 minutes ago, Elky said:

It means you have to get a new set of "core" players to build around.

Could even be something like putting more emphasis guys who have been team captains or looking for guys that have "toughness." It could just be a team looking for a culture change.

2 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Could even be something like putting more emphasis guys who have been team captains or looking for guys that have "toughness." It could just be a team looking for a culture change.

This is the fundamental component in a rebuild.

People said the Rams were a “rebuilding” team heading into last season. First time young head coach with a lot of new coaches on staff. New system on both sides the ball. The 2nd youngest team in the NFL with the 2nd youngest starting QB that only had 7 starts under his belt. Not to mention the Rams had a lot of new pieces on offense and some new pieces on defense. 

I personally didn’t think the Rams was a rebuilding team. I thought they had talent in need of the right coaching and if McVay was as good as people in Washington said he was “which he is even better” and I know what Wade brought to the table, I knew the Rams would be good instantly.

Rebuilding looks more like the 2012 Rams team. They literally had an expansion team then in 2012 Snead/Fisher had the RG3 trade and they stockpiled picks and acquired so much talent over the course of 4 to 5 seasons. To Fisher credit he help get the talent but to his downfall he couldn’t coach it. I love Snead in what he still is doing with the Rams in terms of bringing in talent. The Rams now have a coach to be able to win with that talent.

10 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

People said the Rams were a “rebuilding” team heading into last season. First time young head coach with a lot of new coaches on staff. New system on both sides the ball. The 2nd youngest team in the NFL with the 2nd youngest starting QB that only had 7 starts under his belt. Not to mention the Rams had a lot of new pieces on offense and some new pieces on defense. 

I personally didn’t think the Rams was a rebuilding team. I thought they had talent in need of the right coaching and if McVay was as good as people in Washington said he was “which he is even better” and I know what Wade brought to the table, I knew the Rams would be good instantly.

Rebuilding looks more like the 2012 Rams team. They literally had an expansion team then in 2012 Snead/Fisher had the RG3 trade and they stockpiled picks and acquired so much talent over the course of 4 to 5 seasons. To Fisher credit he help get the talent but to his downfall he couldn’t coach it. I love Snead in what he still is doing with the Rams in terms of bringing in talent. The Rams now have a coach to be able to win with that talent.

I would pay you 10K to see if you could go 10 posts without mentioning a Ram player, coach, fan, or anyone & anything affiliated with the Rams in general regardless of what the topic is. Not trying to be smart, just generally curious.

1 hour ago, ClutchDJ said:

I would pay you 10K to see if you could go 10 posts without mentioning a Ram player, coach, fan, or anyone & anything affiliated with the Rams in general regardless of what the topic is. Not trying to be smart, just generally curious.

He can't

There's certainly a difference between "rebuilding" and "retooling"...and it also varies a ton between sports.  In the NFL, you can realistically "rebuild" pretty darn quick.  You can burn everything to the ground, sell off or get rid of anyone that's not bolted down...and still turn things around in a few years.  You're drafting fairly mature players who can come in as top quality starters and turn things around almost immediately in some cases (especially at QB).  You can "retool" even faster, by gutting a bit of veteran dead weight and letting some key youngsters take over bigger roles.

In something like the NHL where they're drafting 17/18 year old kids and trying to project from there..."rebuilding" tends to be a much longer process.  Teams can spend a decade mired in a "rebuild", just desperately trying to claw their way out of the basement.  

depends on the sport i think true rebuilding in football is pretty rare and usually it is just a new coach and new qb and boom that's all the effort that goes into most rebuilds. The browns and raiders acquiring assets like baseball/basketball rebuilds is kind of newer. Let's see how that works out though.

15 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

I know you weren’t being smart but you put bait out there for those to come at me lol. Seriously though I only talk about my team in this instance because I’m more familiar with them. I just used an example of what I truly thought was a rebuilding team which was the 2012 Rams team. 

Archived