Week 10 GDT: Saints (7-1) @ Bengals (5-3)

Canadian Saint

Well here we are in week 10. 7 game winning streak, knocking off 2 NFC contenders and life is good. This week we visit Cincinnati. A textbook example of a trap game. This is a team with a capable QB and a good team throughout. If we aren't careful, it could bite us in the butt.

Dez:

Big news of the week was of course signing WR Dez Bryant. Unfortunately according to reports he will sit out sunday's game. The coaches want him off that Kelvin Benjamin diet and in game shape, they also want more than 2 practices to get offensive chemistry.

Injury:

I'm gonna use the link @tyler735 posted for the Bengals:

Green, Burfict, Vigil, Malone, Kroft and Dennard ruled out. That's a lot of talent.

As for us, our entire O-line + PJ Williams + Davenport were listed. Everyone minus Davenport was Limited through Friday. Chances are it is a veteran rest day. Davenport will most likely miss this game.

Underrated player for the Saints:

I thought I'd do a little shout out every week for the Saints. Someone who doesn't get the weekly "Well here's a guy" treatment. This week it's DT Sheldon Rankins. The guy came in with us having PTSD issues from Sedrick Ellis. Unlike Ellis, Rankins has shown improvement to the point where he is making splash plays weekly. Case in point:

While overall the D has been very much 'bend but not break', Rankins and the rest of the D-line have been a highlight. Consistently stopping the run (Best run D in the NFL) and also getting pressure. This D overall isn't dissimilar to the Gregg Williams' D. Get pressure and stop the run, force offenses to throw and turn over the ball. If we held onto more dropped INTs, I'm sure we'd be ranked higher. Rankins has done his part more than well, and he's finally developing into the DT we've wanted for a long time.

Gameplan:

As for the game plan this week. The Bengals rank 26th against the run, giving up 128 yard/g on the ground. With Bryant sitting this out, Meredith on IR, I suspect we'll see a very healthy dose of Kamara/Ingram/Hill and just controlling the football. On offense the Bengals are ranked 7th in sacks given up, 2nd in QB hits, and rank 13th on yards/carry. This is a formidable offense, missing AJ Green will suck but they can still put up points. I suspect we'll stop the run, establish our run game, and control the football.

Archived