Thompson released

WizardHawk

22 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

I think Cooper has provided plenty of value thus far. The offense has looked better since he arrived. He's provided a spark and moved the chains. 10 of 11 rec have netted a 1st down. 

Cooper is moving the chains and has looked solid.  Won't be able to evaluate this trade fully until we see how the draft plays out.  But I still hate trading away first rounders.

15 minutes ago, Northland said:

Cooper is moving the chains and has looked solid.  Won't be able to evaluate this trade fully until we see how the draft plays out.  But I still hate trading away first rounders.

Let’s say you are playing blackjack and the dealer gives you a 19. You should stay. Staying is the right decision. So then does it suddenly become the wrong decision if the next card comes out and you find out that it is a 2? No, it doesn’t.

There are a whole range of possible outcomes that can occur in the draft next April, and it is impossible to predict exactly which one will happen. Managerial decisions are made with incomplete and imperfect information, and certainly without the benefit of hindsight.

Good managers can make good decision that have bad outcomes and bad managers can make bad decisions that have good outcomes. But over time, making good, reasoned decisions based on the data you have will lead to success. We don’t have to wait until the card is flipped to evaluate whether it was the right decision or not, only whether that decision ultimately worked out in our favor.

18 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Let’s say you are playing blackjack and the dealer gives you a 19. You should stay. Staying is the right decision. So then does it suddenly become the wrong decision if the next card comes out and you find out that it is a 2? No, it doesn’t.

There are a whole range of possible outcomes that can occur in the draft next April, and it is impossible to predict exactly which one will happen. Managerial decisions are made with incomplete and imperfect information, and certainly without the benefit of hindsight.

Good managers can make good decision that have bad outcomes and bad managers can make bad decisions that have good outcomes. But over time, making good, reasoned decisions based on the data you have will lead to success. We don’t have to wait until the card is flipped to evaluate whether it was the right decision or not, only whether that decision ultimately worked out in our favor.

That's a nice analogy.  I think we would all agree that first round picks are valuable; arguably they are the building blocks or foundation for building your club.  Perhaps the question that needs to be asked is how did the organization reach a point where they had to give up a first round pick in order to improve the club?

If I have $50 riding on the blackjack hand and the dealer turns over a 2 as per your analogy no big deal.  If I have $5000 riding on the hand, and the dealer turns over the 2 it's a different story.  

Only time will tell how much we had riding on the deal for Cooper.  For now, he is adding value, or as I said he's moving the chains and is a welcomed addition.

I can see us making a splash FA signing, due to the trade and having more space than literally any other year I can remember. 

I'm not talking about ET either. I think we sign him but I think we go after another big name.

It's a fun prospect but this team has been horrible in FA evaluations. They were going to give Sammy Watkins like $14M

8 minutes ago, Northland said:

That's a nice analogy.  I think we would all agree that first round picks are valuable; arguably they are the building blocks or foundation for building your club.  Perhaps the question that needs to be asked is how did the organization reach a point where they had to give up a first round pick in order to improve the club?

If I have $50 riding on the blackjack hand and the dealer turns over a 2 as per your analogy no big deal.  If I have $5000 riding on the hand, and the dealer turns over the 2 it's a different story.  

Only time will tell how much we had riding on the deal for Cooper.  For now, he is adding value, or as I said he's moving the chains and is a welcomed addition.

I would argue that even if you had $100M riding on the hand of blackjack, your best decision doesn't change. You can only make decisions based on the information available to you at the time.

18 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I can see us making a splash FA signing, due to the trade and having more space than literally any other year I can remember. 

I'm not talking about ET either. I think we sign him but I think we go after another big name.

It's a fun prospect but this team has been horrible in FA evaluations. They were going to give Sammy Watkins like $14M

Who is interests you?

Grady Jarrett is the one besides Earl Thomas on the list that I'd like. Might be hard if we plan to re-sign all of our player who are due contracts.

33 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Who is interests you?

Grady Jarrett is the one besides Earl Thomas on the list that I'd like. Might be hard if we plan to re-sign all of our player who are due contracts.

Dude...I'd love to land Jarrett here. Our DL would be nasty.

52 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Who is interests you?

Well hopefully they sign DLaw.

Maybe TE Tyler Eifert, or Jesse James.

Grady Jarrett comes to mind. You know Rod loves him. What if they signed DLaw AND added another DE? I know we have RG and Taco, but the staff could admit defeat there and sign a vet like Brandon Graham, Cameron Wake or Trey Flowers. There are some big name pass rushers who's contracts are up and with a defensive line heavy draft some of them could hit the open market: Ziggy Ansah, Anthony Barr, Jadeveon Clowney. The Rams have Suh and Donte Fowler jr. to sign. One of them could hit the market. Then guys like Orakpo, Shane Ray, Dee Ford, Michael Johnson, or even Terrel Suggs. If Sean Lee is out they could sign Clay Matthews and use him to blitz idk

Some possible cap casualties:

TE Charles Clay

DE Robert Quinn

DT Marcell Dareus

DE Justin Houston

No first round pick but Jerruh finally got some $$$$

we sign

$$$$DLaw

$$$Suh/Jarrett.

$$ET

$Charles Clay

34 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I think you can probably do that if you really want, but, Amari Cooper, La'el Collins, Byron Jones, Jaylon Smith, and Dak Prescott all come due in 2020, so you have to be careful not to neuter your ability to re-sign some of those guys.

So you you're saying, DLaw and ET only. Or Dlaw and Jarrett only? But not Dlaw, ET, and Jarrett.

I think we sign a TE but I doubt he costs much.

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

So you you're saying, DLaw and ET only. Or Dlaw and Jarrett only? But not Dlaw, ET, and Jarrett.

I think we sign a TE but I doubt he costs much.

Not sure, I haven’t thought enough about contracts and the cap. But I’d prioritize re-signing D-Law, Cooper, Byron, Jaylon, and signing Earl. Let Dak play out his rookie contract, then see. Tender Zeke for his fifth season, and let him play that out, hopefully avoiding a holdout. Would be fine with a mid-level TE, but I think i’m More interested in drafting one.

If you told me we could still afford a major move after that, then I’m in. 

On 11/15/2018 at 2:25 PM, DaBoys said:

I think we topped out at $12, because he got $14 from the Chiefs. 

Ill never understand how he keeps getting the fat deals. He is the Sam Bradford of WRs. 

19 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I think we topped out at $12, because he got $14 from the Chiefs. 

Ill never understand how he keeps getting the fat deals. He is the Sam Bradford of WRs. 

Oh I thought he ended up with 16

4 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Oh I thought he ended up with 16

You might be right, I thought I looked it up the other day for the Cooper deal and for some reason $14 was in my mind. 

Either way, point still stands that the dude is sam bradford.

Edit: You are right. 

Archived