Joe Flacco Hip Injury

DreamKid

3 hours ago, drd23 said:

Either you're over-estimating his readiness and/or underestimating the number of 1st team snaps he would have been getting, or I'm doing the opposite here.  It's said time and time again that 2nd QBs don't get many snaps in practice during the season as there just isn't enough time (due to ever increasing restrictions due to the CBA) after getting in the necessary work to make sure the 1st team has that week's preferred plays/concepts down

I'd be worried if that is the case.  Outside of week 1 he hasn't topped 14 snaps in any given week.  If he needs a rest now, how is he going to handle the 70+ snaps he'll take in a week, let alone the 500+ he'd handle for the rest of the year?

I feel more like you’re underestimating the mental grind of the NFL. Also underestimating the amount of practice Jackson has been doing prior to and after actual practice with Urban.

But I suppose we’ll have to agree to disagree then. On Jackson being able to use the rest and DEFINITELY on the notion that the rest of the team shouldn’t have to practice because ONE GUY could use some additional reps.

13 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I’m seriously convinced you’d rather the team fail than succeed with Jackson 

to say a late first round project qb is going to save our season by winning his first few games in the nfl is laughable to me. Not saying Jacksons not going to succeed eventually, but if flacco is in fact to injured to play, the season is over. Im just being a realist, thats all

1 hour ago, paraven said:

to say a late first round project qb is going to save our season by winning his first few games in the nfl is laughable to me. Not saying Jacksons not going to succeed eventually, but if flacco is in fact to injured to play, the season is over. Im just being a realist, thats all

You do realize that Joe Flacco, QB out of Division 1AA University of Deleware was also a project QB. He was drafted into a situation where he needed a veteran like Troy Smith or Kyle Boller to start so that he could “learn the ropes”.

Yet after injuries knocked out the competition and Flacco was forced to start, he guided that squad to a playoff birth and two wins on the road to eventually lose to the Steelers in the AFCCG.

That QB was thought to be raw and not ready, a project even... yet he got the job done. There is absolutely no reason that Lamar Jackson can’t do the same, your advanced pessimism (and obvious negativity bias) aside.

3 hours ago, paraven said:

Actually you're not.

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

You do realize that Joe Flacco, QB out of Division 1AA University of Deleware was also a project QB. He was drafted into a situation where he needed a veteran like Troy Smith or Kyle Boller to start so that he could “learn the ropes”.

Yet after injuries knocked out the competition and Flacco was forced to start, he guided that squad to a playoff birth and two wins on the road to eventually lose to the Steelers in the AFCCG.

That QB was thought to be raw and not ready, a project even... yet he got the job done. There is absolutely no reason that Lamar Jackson can’t do the same, your advanced pessimism (and obvious negativity bias) aside.

I do, but 2018 flacco would win more games then rookie flacco. That's my point..

And at this time flacco still gives us the best chance to win if healthy then Jackson does.  

5 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Flacco was the 2008 Josh Allen to many media pundits. He was supposed to sit for more than a season. He could do things as a passer that Lamar can't do, but Lamar has a unique skillset to take advantage off. If we look at the scores, we need something like 3 touchdowns and 2 field goals to beat most teams. I believe Lamar certainly has the potential to put those 3-5 drives together.

Best possible 2 game stretch for this to happen. Jackson gets starting experience against two pretty bad teams/defenses and Flacco gets to heal up for our end run.

This appears to be the new norm for our former ironman single caller. I predict Joe stays with the team next year as well and a similar injury situation comes up. Netting Jackson a couple more starts. Then in the off season Flacco will depart from the club at age 35, and imo retire. Dude has a ton of kids and Joe isn't the kind of guy to uproot a young family. The other teams he would realistically play for are limited, if on the table at all. 

Joe lacks the mental acuity to play into his late 30s as guys like Brady and Brees do. He isn't getting better at reading defenses or running an offense. There's no shame in it, that's just the reality of the situation. That's why injuries have caused such a regression in Flacco, he's dependent on his physical gifts. 

In the best possible scenario, where we rip 3 Super Bowls in a row.....I still don't see Decosta giving a 36 year old 4 Ringed Joe Flacco another contract. 

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the injuries stop and everything comes together (Running Game - Play Makers - Offensive Line - Play Caller), I doubt it though. Lamar Jackson will get his 2 years to develop, with some starts mixed in, and then he'll have to step up as our QBOTF. 

I can see the team holding onto Joe next year as well. But likely moreso to compete in a QB battle with Jackson and have him on the trade block and see if any team would be willing to offer us a 2nd round pick for Flacco. We should be able to accrue some sort of value for him and so I can’t see us simply releasing him outright. The smartest play just might be to play the waiting game. Wait for this poor QB draft class to provide little security for NFL franchises and once another QB option fails in training camp, the market opens up enough for people willing to gamble on saving their jobs. Before the draft the  market for Flacco might only be something like a 4th MAYBE 3rd round pick. But given time he might potentially net us a 2nd just based off of desperation.

Spoiler Alert: He won't play.

Joe will come back against Atlanta. Which brings up the question. If Flacco sustained a, now what? month long sidelining, injury on the opening drive against the Steelers. And was according to reports "seen limping on the sideline". Why didn't we consider taking him out of the game? I mean I know Joe is a really tough player and it was essentially a must win game, but looking back an injury would explain his lesser performance against a team he carved up earlier in the year. I'm sure all the extra hits he took after the initial injury occurred made the situation worse too. 

So what...If Lamar is seen limping, are they just going to leave him in too? This is the kind of stuff that worries me and it's why I don't want Lamar starting as a 21 year old kid. I want Joe to do his job, so Jackson can do his- develop. Lamar can grow physically and mentally behind Flacco. He'll get bigger, stronger, faster, and more durable. All while the game slows down and he learns to execute at a higher and higher level. 

The appeal of drafting Jackson was furthered by the idea that we could sit him behind Joe for 2/3 years and get a Hyperbolic Time Chamber version of CFB's phenom. Joe is a worse QB today because he didn't get that same opportunity imo. We should give Jackson what we couldn't give to Flacco, time. I don't want us to play games with our QBOTF, I want us to do it right. 

Luckily Lamar is a baller and he can bail us out with Joe being injured now though. Can you imagine if our backup QB was still Ryan Mallett?!

I mean it can't be understated how hilarious it is that the two teams that ALL TIME CFB rusher Lamar Jackson will have to play, are the two worst rush defenses in the NFL lol. Sucks for them. All things considered, that's some pieces falling into place for us. The experience will be great for Lamar, and our offense too. He gets two starts to build on and our coaches get to nail down what he does best against defenses to a higher/finer degree. His package plays will become stronger. As will the attention he commands on them. 

As for Joe, hopefully this is his last injury on the season. We need him to make this run. Coming back against the Falcons and his 08' Draft running mate Matt Ryan in our first December game will be fun. Then we get to go into Arrowhead and take on the juggernaut. I can't wait. I'll take exciting games against contenders and a strong schedule over that BS we had last year any day. 

Archived