What Position To Draft In The First Round

Just Want A Title

Since the playoffs are a longshot for us I started thinking about what position I would like to see addressed in the first round.  We have a crying need for someone who can put pressure on the QB from the edge and set the edge on run-defense.  Brian Burns or Jachia Polite or Clellin Ferril could be really good fits.

Da'shawn Hand has been pretty good and Damon Harrison has been awesome but this draft has some really good interior lineman.  Dexter Lawrence could be a game wrecker for us in will likely be available when we pick.  Same goes for Christian Wilkins, Jeffrey Simmons, Jerry Tillery or Rashan Gary.

What would you prioritize:  edge rusher or disruptive interior defender?

I'm torn.

1. With recent rule changes, it might be a better turn around to go all in on offense. So a new RT or RG if there's an out of this world prospect there. Kinda following the KC blueprint here. Defense be damned, just have the ball last.

2. Give me a pass rusher at any position along the Dline. We're probably gonna need 2 edge and one interior as I hope we've realized Ansah can't be counted on to stay healthy. 

I think I should just go back and cut my comments from past years.

Inside, outside, front to back.

Games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage.

The Dline needs to create pressure.

The online needs to continue improving the running game and protecting Stafford.

So I don’t care as long as it’s a lineman that’s big nasty and in a bad mood every Sunday. 

Rough to be a Lions fan. I think you need to protect your QB, and have a run game to win more than just a good defense. Even with all the resources spent on the O-line Lions still need more help imo. They legitimately need a new RT, and RG. While possibly needing a new solution at LT if Decker is constantly injured. Ragnow is a stalwart, but Glasgow is meh at C. He could be replaced but with other needs it's not as pressing. 

Then, Lions should be looking for pass rushers. You cannot win in this league imo if you can't get after the QB. You have to be able to get after the QB in obvious passing downs. You can take away a teams run game by scoring TD's, and chewing time up, but if Qb's have time to make plays on defenses Lions we'll get eaten up consistently like they do now with both passing/run game. 

I will be legitimately upset if they walk up and draft a TE/WR/LB/CB/S. Unless they make some serious moves in FA to change my imo,(which they will most likley.)

I would love an edge rusher or two.  I wouldn't spend a high pick on a RT or RG but we do need to get better there.  I feel like there are more pass rushers at the top of this draft so get one of those first, then address the O line, and then back to the d line with a couple more darts.  I would not be upset if we come away with 5/6 O or D lineman from this draft.  I also think we need a TE pretty bad but that's not at the top of my wish list at the moment.

They need a Defensive end that scares people or a pass rusher like Mack on the Bears.

Its the biggest need we have had for years Ziggy isn't the answer hurt to often other then that pick taken the best man to man cover corner wouldn't be bad idea look at Cleveland improved defense with the addition of the Corner from OSU Ward over the pass rusher Chubb at 5. Not only did they made the right qb pick in Baker but they selected the best corner in Ward & added perhaps the steal of the draft Chubb in the 2nd round giving them a franchise back.  Cleveland is way ahead of Detroit in rebuilding now with just them 3 picks.

DE, LB, CB, and RG are positions that look like they could get filled in free agency. Could be looking at a standup pass rusher, or another corner (if Lawson is cut) in the first round. The higher they pick, the more likely it is that they go with a pass rusher. Josh Allen and Oshane Ximines are the guys that interest me in the first round. I want to see their combine performances, but I'm pretty sold on Allen with a top 10 pick already. Want to see a little more out of Ximines (a senior bowl invite would go a long way).

8 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

DE, LB, CB, and RG are positions that look like they could get filled in free agency. Could be looking at a standup pass rusher, or another corner (if Lawson is cut) in the first round. The higher they pick, the more likely it is that they go with a pass rusher. Josh Allen and Oshane Ximines are the guys that interest me in the first round. I want to see their combine performances, but I'm pretty sold on Allen with a top 10 pick already. Want to see a little more out of Ximines (a senior bowl invite would go a long way).

Who are you seeing in fa at de and cb? 

Archived