Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

18 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Seems like if we do get Clowney on a big contract then Judon's cap hold on the tag will pretty much prevent us from making any other moves, no? Teams might just wait us out knowing we likely have to renounce his rights rather than making a trade. 

I still think the best move we can make is tagging Judon and trying to trade him. A team with more cap space and picks should be able to get him a contract he would agree to as well as sending a mid to high 2. round pick and maybe a 4th or a player our way.

That would present much more value than a team trying to win him over in a bidding war against others, while we would get more value than a likely 3rd or at worst 4th round pick.

It all comes down to how others view Judon. Do they view him as a complete outside linebacker with scheme versatility who can rush, blitz and drop into coverage, or do they view him as a guy who can rarely win his 1on1 pass rush snaps and get the double digit sacks.

If we do tag and trade Judon you’ll see a happy dance my way. I don’t believe Judon is our future out there for what we want in return. He disappears and i question his run defense. 1 on 1 with quality tackles, he goes MIA and it showed this year. Yes i love his character and he is a good player, but just not what we need. 

Judon it’s not you, its us... We need a divorce and hopefully a talented player in return from the trade :D

• Like 3

James Hurst quickly demolishing any favorable opinions of him that might've been constructed the past couple years. Even in a reserve role this dope finds a way to alienate himself. 

18 minutes ago, ravens5520 said:

Curious if this is the reason we signed Andre Smith. Would make a lot of sense.

I think so. 

39 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Don't know if anyone else posted it, but as we expected Weddle retired a Raven. He doesn't seem like the type to enjoy couch life, so it wouldn't shock me if his much theorized coaching career(possibly with us) kick started sooner rather than later.

Yeah I think it's inevitable that he ends up back in the organization before long. Him and EDC seem to be tight and have already been talking about how to work together. 

He was interviewed by Jeff Zrebiec the other day and basically said he wants to just take a year to lay low/see what retired life looks like but that he might do some part-time West Coast scouting for us before making a bigger decision on whether he wants to do front office work or coaching. 

37 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

He was interviewed by Jeff Zrebiec the other day and basically said he wants to just take a year to lay low/see what retired life looks like but that he might do some part-time West Coast scouting for us before making a bigger decision on whether he wants to do front office work or coaching. 

Never really considered the FO angle with Weddle before, but it makes sense. Certainly played the role of 'recruiter' for us enough times, and he's well liked across the league. Also, I think it's of understated importance to have former players in your FO. 

No matter what path he chooses, it's a pure gain for us as an organization should he officially join. Every member of our secondary during Eric's tenure here mentioned his infectious enthusiasm and work ethic. The coaches raved about him. He really helped fuel a renewed brotherhood/bond among our players. And he's also a prime example of when it's important to separate business from personal feelings. He has a lot to offer in whatever role he'll occupy.

Excited to see what the future holds for him.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Don't know if anyone else posted it, but as we expected Weddle retired a Raven. He doesn't seem like the type to enjoy couch life, so it wouldn't shock me if his much theorized coaching career(possibly with us) kick started sooner rather than later.

I get the impression a lot of Twitter never actually read the Zrebiec interview with Weddle, because he never said he has retired as a Raven, just that he will when the time comes.

Also I'm not sure it really says all that much given Weddle's beef with the Chargers FO/Owners is well documented, so it is hardly unsurprising that he doesn't want to associate with them.

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Never really considered the FO angle with Weddle before, but it makes sense. Certainly played the role of 'recruiter' for us enough times, and he's well liked across the league. Also, I think it's of understated importance to have former players in your FO. 

He wrote up some scouting reports for the FO during his time with the team, and has already been offered a job as a scout by EDC as mentioned above so that he could stay with his family in California, and would only need to fly out to Baltimore occasionally for meetings etc pre-draft

• Like 3

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

Also I'm not sure it really says all that much given Weddle's beef with the Chargers FO/Owners is well documented, so it is hardly unsurprising that he doesn't want to associate with them.

Agree. Not as big of a deal as past guys like Mason, Boldin, etc. 

22 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Hilarious to me that there’s such a strong contingent of Browns fans still justifying Garrett’s actions. Love that the story is gumming up the offseason for two other AFCN teams though. 

Each side are really setting themselves up for a big scandal. If there is some kind of proof to Garretts allegations against Rudolph, then Rudolphs career is most likely over. If Rudolph can prove his innocence, then Garrett will lose a lot of respect and will have to fight to that back despite him being a good player.

2 hours ago, Danand said:

Each side are really setting themselves up for a big scandal. If there is some kind of proof to Garretts allegations against Rudolph, then Rudolphs career is most likely over. If Rudolph can prove his innocence, then Garrett will lose a lot of respect and will have to fight to that back despite him being a good player.

I don't think it is possible for Rudolph to prove his innocence, since not everything said on the football field is recorded or even heard by other players. 

I think that Rudolph's career is over anyways. The Steelers played better and more inspired under Duck. I don't think the Steeler players have any respect for Rudolph after how he acted in the whole incident with Garrett.