Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

19 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I'm not sure I understand this statement as a follow-up to the first.  Zuttah was good in the system he was brought in for...

Timeline:

On January 27, 2014, Kubiak signed with the Baltimore Ravens to be their new offensive coordinator.

On March 23, 2014, Zuttah traded by Buccaneers to Ravens for 2015 5th round pick (162nd overall, Kenny Bell).

Forsett signed a one-year deal with the Baltimore Ravens on April 4, 2014.

I believe I tried to give an example of a situation, where we went away from our starting center (Birk/Zuttah) and then hope one of our younger guys can step up and be a decent starter (Gradkowski/Jensen or Skura).

Gino basically got the starting spot per default, and Jensen is almost the same story because of recent circumstances.

5 minutes ago, Danand said:

I believe I tried to give an example of a situation, where we went away from our starting center (Birk/Zuttah) and then hope one of our younger guys can step up and be a decent starter (Gradkowski/Jensen or Skura).

Gino basically got the starting spot per default, and Jensen is almost the same story because of recent circumstances.

Ah, got it.  I thought you were saying bringing in Zuttah made you question our judgemrnt.  My mistake.

I like Jensen better here (relative to Gradkowski).  Birk retired, so its a slightly different situation IMO.  In this case, we felt good enough about what we had as an upgrade to trade away Zuttah.  Needless to say, Jensen isn't a sure thing or proven commodity, but he's got a nasty streak and is probably a better fit in more of a man-blocking system.  He's definitely one of the guys I will be watching more closely tonight (Skura as well).

31 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Ah, got it.  I thought you were saying bringing in Zuttah made you question our judgemrnt.  My mistake.

I like Jensen better here (relative to Gradkowski).  Birk retired, so its a slightly different situation IMO.  In this case, we felt good enough about what we had as an upgrade to trade away Zuttah.  Needless to say, Jensen isn't a sure thing or proven commodity, but he's got a nasty streak and is probably a better fit in more of a man-blocking system.  He's definitely one of the guys I will be watching more closely tonight (Skura as well).

I wrote in the general forum, that while there really is no exciting talent on our oline, it will be interesting how it shapes up.

Two of the five are Ravens greats Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.  

The other 3 for those that are curious are Michael Irvin, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor.  It's kinda weird that Irvin gets into the Canes Ring of Honor years after he gets into the NFL Hall of Fame

On 8/16/2017 at 3:52 PM, DontTazeMeBro said:

Hmm. Just checked the Week 1 lines. Our game has been taken off the board. That's pretty spooky. Flacco's status might not be all that certain.

Maybe I'm just scarred by the Perriman debacle from 2 years ago but I'm expecting Flacco to miss at least a couple of games. When there's no timetable to return to practice it's  hard to imagine him being ready to play in just a couple of weeks. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

On 8/16/2017 at 3:52 PM, DontTazeMeBro said:

Hmm. Just checked the Week 1 lines. Our game has been taken off the board. That's pretty spooky. Flacco's status might not be all that certain.

51 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Maybe I'm just scarred by the Perriman debacle from 2 years ago but I'm expecting Flacco to miss at least a couple of games. When there's no timetable to return to practice it's  hard to imagine him being ready to play in just a couple of weeks. 

From Bovada:

REGULAR SEASON WEEK 1. Baltimore - QB- Joe Flacco is questionable vs Cincinnati Bengals. Line will be posted as soon as more information regarding his injury is available.

Not sure that there is anything more to read into this than we know as of now.  As you certainly know, when you place your bet, you're locked in at that line, so the books are probably just looking to avoid a huge swing in the line until we get closer and have more certainty, should something go the other way.

3 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

To add on to the Flacco business, none of our last THREE first round picks have shown up in a while and there's nothing remotely clear out there about when any of them will be back. 

c4jt321.png

You could add our second rounders. 1 is coming of knee surgery but is still 3 on the decimated TE depth chart. 1 doesn't look too good once he is on the field in games. 1 could actually contribute as a backup.

1 hour ago, RavensfanRD said:

Ryan Mallet is going to get cut!

Where did you hear that?  All I've seen about him is generic coach speak from Harbaugh about how well he is playing and lots of fans complaining about how terrible he is

52 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Where did you hear that?  All I've seen about him is generic coach speak from Harbaugh about how well he is playing and lots of fans complaining about how terrible he is

Nowhere, just talking to be talking. More like praying I guess. I just don't see anything from him (With the limited stuff I've seen in Pre-season) to make me think he can go if The Mighty Joe Flacco goes down again. Most backups wouldn't, but he just doesn't inspire any faith from me, haha.

To be fair, how many backups do that? 

They talked about how good their backup was in Matt Moore in Miami. They had so much faith in their good backup QB, that they pulled Jay "I don't want to be here, I don't want to be anywhere" Cutler in to start for them.