Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

With the way Gus runs and his body receives punishment, he has to cash in as early as possible. He fit perfectly with what we needed in Lamars first year, and maybe will do the same next year, but looking forward, he is too one-dimensional unless he build on his game.

9 hours ago, Danand said:

With the way Gus runs and his body receives punishment, he has to cash in as early as possible. He fit perfectly with what we needed in Lamars first year, and maybe will do the same next year, but looking forward, he is too one-dimensional unless he build on his game.

That's probably why he signed with Rosenhaus yesterday. He's gonna do exactly that.

Guys, I have horrible news....

In PFF's latest gem of an article, they decided to look at each team in the AFC North's 1st & 2nd Round Picks over the last 3 years. 

Here's what they had to say about Tyus Bowser-

"Bowser has struggled to make an impact as an edge defender so far in Baltimore, with just 20 total pressures on 181 pass-rushing snaps in his two-year career. "

That sucks right?! Even worse still, is their glowing endorsement of what Myles Garret has become as a player.

"After a slow start to his career in year one, Myles Garrett proved to everyone why he was a slam dunk pick as the number one overall selection with a dominant showing in his second season in the league. Garrett registered 67 total pressures, including 15 sacks, from 599 pass-rushing snaps in 2018."

This is horrible for us.

Our player- The 47th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft:   20 Pressures & 3.5 Sacks on 181 Pass Rush Snaps

The Brown's player- The 1st overall pick in the 2017 NFL Draft:  67 Pressures & 15 Sacks on 599 Pass Rush Snaps

Our player, Tyus Bowser-   11.049723756906078%  /Pressure Rate        1.9337016574585635%   /Sack Rate

Their player, Myles Garrett-   11.185308848080133%  /Pressure Rate       2.5041736227045077%   /Sack Rate

(BTW Myles Garrett didn't have 15 official sacks, he had 13.5 officially. That's how far PFF wanted to go to construct their narrative. So obviously that would drop his Sack Rate to around 2.2, and his Pressure Rate to about 10.8(which would be lower than Bowser's). I included their slanted numbers to drive my point home even more.)

Here, is a link to the article. 

ANDTyus is a + player in coverage. 

Bowser's rare combination of coverage ability and pass rushing upside is why we drafted him. It's why he was frequently mocked to teams in the 1st Round, and it's why he was the BPA when we were on the board in the 2nd Round. As an athlete, Tyus is bonafide elite. Testing in at around the 95th percentile with SPARQ & RAS. Bowser is a player perfectly built to thrive in the modern game. He excels in space, can match up with TEs & HBs, and has no problem getting after the QB. The only weak part to his game is a so so ability to effect the run, which thankfully is the least important attribute for a defender in today's game

As we enter Draft Season, you'll naturally see Tyus written off, labeled a bust, and just generally maligned. So it's important to remember the facts:

- Tyus is 23 years old

- Tyus is an Elite Athlete

- Tyus has a nearly identical level of pass rush productivity to Myles Garrett's 

- Tyus is a Plus Coverage Asset at OLB/EDGE

None of that can be argued or denied. 

I believe we have a Star Player just lurking in Tyus Bowser, and I look forward to when we decide to actually unleash him on the league. It's gotta happen at some point right?

774a.gif

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, drd23 said:

While I agree with you in most of that, I will say that as actual production frequently becomes less efficient with more opportunity it makes Garrett's output impressive too (arguably more impressive)

I'm not looking to knock Garrett's output, it's top tier production for the league. 

There's arguments that go both ways. You could quite easily assume that with extra reps, Bowser's game would steadily improve/refine and bridge the dip in efficiency that could theoretically come with more opportunity. More opportunity is also crucial for pass rushers, who can then take advantage of learned tendencies throughout the course of a game. A player like Bowser doesn't get the benefit of being able to set up Tackles for counters or feeling out how to attack. Also, as competition isn't static, more opportunity will generally give you a better shot at an 'exposed' player- similar to what happened with Judon vs Brandon Parker. Which will inflate production.

Bowser also has an Elite motor. Which raises the floor of any pass rusher's production. Typically though, super high motor players aren't very gifted athletically. Tyus bucks that trend. Which allows him to match the productivity of rushers who might be more refined/skill when compared to him. Simply put- he's too explosive, fast, and active to contain for very long. 

@drd23 A couple of examples. It can go both ways.

Jason Pierre Paul:

Rookie Year-   304/ Pass Rush Snaps     24/ Total Pressures     7.89%/ Pressure Rate

Year 2-    707/ Pass Rush Snaps     72/ Total Pressures      10.18%/ Pressure Rate   

Efficiency: Up

Khalil Mack:

Rookie Year-   439/ Pass Rush Snaps    52/ Total Pressures    11.84%/ Pressure Rate

Year 2-    534/ Pass Rush Snaps     82/ Total Pressures     15.35%/ Pressure Rate

Efficiency: Up

Myles Garrett:

Rookie Year-   290/ Pass Rush Snaps   37/ Total Pressures   12.75%/ Pressure Rate

Year 2-    599/ Pass Rush Snaps   67/ Total Pressures   11.18%/ Pressure Rate

Efficiency: Down