Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

I recommend checking out the Ravens snapchat. You get a lot of inside look content.

Zach Sieler is looking MASSIVE.

Eluemanor looks like he's slimmed down some, likely due to his switch over to Tackle.

Chris Moore's dreads are looking extra long. Wants to make sure Lamar won't miss on the field I guess lol.

Lamar is running around with a smile on his face in every clip. The entire team gives off a youthful energy. Morale is high, as it should be at this point.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/video/ - The team site has media scrums with Steve Saunders, Baby Zeus, Mark Ingram, Tony Jefferson, Peanut, and Lamar uploaded. 

Some key takeaways:

Earl Thomas didn't sign with us to play around or cash out. He means business, his influence over the players can be felt and heard. We've installed an elite presence both on and off the field. The FO has aced FA the past couple years in terms of bringing in Top Tier character to cleanse a DB group that was not so long ago a team weakness. Brandon Carr, Earl Thomas, and even Weddle from a work ethic and mental standpoint. Our young CBs and Safeties have been blessed. 

- I don't think the gravity of Lamar's situation has fully hit him yet, and hopefully in some ways it never does. Jackson is similar to Flacco in how unfazed he seems to be by the weight of his duty, he just replaces Joe's bulletproof dead pan with an almost child like sense of invulnerability. We'll see if it holds up. Lamar is coming into a situation no other Ravens' QB before him has. He's replacing a drafted and developed Franchise QB that won the club Glory, and most importantly a Championship. He'll be expected to do the same. So far I'd consider him ahead of the curve both in terms of mentality and as leader, but just as Joe did- it's all about taking those next steps in Years 2 & 3. Lamar can't be the player he was last year, and I think he understands that. We should be excited about our current shot at a QBOTF.

- If you're in a Dynasty league, acquire Jordan Lasley. He's going to emerge in this offense sooner rather than later, he's super talented, he's really close with Lamar, he'll have seniority over incoming players, and he never shuts the F up. Closed mouths don't get fed, and Lasley is going to walk into and talk around the building like he's WR1 every day. Eventually it'll stick and he'll be a mainstay on offense. Lasley was graded as an early round pick last year, from Kiper on down to Zierlein. His prospect profile is super strong. He's been winning against NFL CBs since high school, and I see no reason why the trend won't continue. At the scrum, Lamar spoke to what Jordan can bring to the offense after directly calling him down to Florida to work out with him this offseason. This is what we want. We want Lamar forging personal connections and chemistry with offensive weapons. Flacco's weapons weren't the best, but his connection with them made them superior to other's. 

- What Wink has meant to Peanut can't be overstated. As I said before it isn't a coincidence that so many players had breakout/career years under him and not that bum Pees. If you include Preseason and Postseason, Peanut had 7.5 Sacks last year. That preseason sack was against the Dolphins' 1s too. His coverage was improved as was his physicality. Wink awakened/activated him, and got him to be the best version of himself- while putting him in the best position to succeed. Martindale has proved himself schematically to this point, but his direct/personal influence on players appears to be just as valuable. FWIW, Peanut also said he has green dot experience from practice and he's ready for the role if put in it. I don't think he will be, but it's worth noting. 

Edited by DreamKid
  • Like 1

It doesn't surprise me. Both teams short on star players, neither considered the favorites in the division or conference. New rules softening the brutal play that helped define the rivalry. 

Lamar has yet to start against the Steelers, and when he does it will be in a toned down era of the matchup. Strong representation of just how different things are now. 

I think Judon is a good bet on someone the FO will let go in FA. He is a 5th round pick, and I understand why he want to cash in as soon as possible. With us however, he was a 7 sack pass rusher where 3 of them came in garbage time against the Raiders. Then there is 4 sacks for the rest of the season, and while he is a good outside linebacker, he is not in the caliber that we want to pay high end money.

Saw this on twitter. Who do you have for each slot? Feel free to add your own too.

Breakout guy: Tim Williams- Now in as a major contributor, it's hard to not see him putting up numbers and impacting games.

Comeback kid: Hayden Hurst- He'll be healthy and actually used this year. Elite hands and catch focus, should become Lamar's Boldin.

Rising Star: Mark Andrews- Top Rookie TE in the league last year. Will be even better this year. Offense will be built around he and Hayden.

Steady Eddie: Marshal Yanda- The Crown is still his.

Don't forget about: Anthony Levine- Always the forgotten man. It might be his last year with us, and I expect another strong season from him.

Manage Expectations: Matt Judon- Good player, but his ceiling is limited. Doesn't have the tools to take his game far beyond current level.

Needs to rebound: Jimmy Smith- Consistency was down last year, that can't happen again.

Darkhorse MVP: Ronnie Stanley- Steady ascension up to this point from Ronnie could culminate in a dominant contract year performance.  

Under the Radar: Chris Moore- Senior outside receiver on the roster. Snead will lose time to Hurst & Andrews out of the slot. Moore has chemistry with Lamar, and all signs point to him being a player ready to capitalize on a larger opportunity share.

Rookie of the Year: Marquise Brown- No other real option imo. Will step right into major role, and Roman confirmed he'll have designated plays. Electric ability with the ball in his hands and elite deep threat prowess make this a no brainer.

Sophomore of the Year: Orlando Brown Jr.- With such a strong 2018 class, there might not be a wrong answer. A Pro Bowl season from Orlando wouldn't shock me.

X Factor: Tyus Bowser- Coverage ace at SAM, that has shown about C+ pass rush ability. If he can progress beyond that, now in a major role, he could become a star. If he doesn't though, he'll still be a match up chess piece for Wink to use all over the field and in conjunction with our off-ball players.

New Name: Kenny Young- Young will become a household name this year. Faster than Mosley, way more range. Better in coverage than Mosley. Elite blitz piece, with a knack for making plays behind the LOS. Gap gambler that bleeds impact.

Still Climbing: Michael Pierce- Took a huge step forward last year, and I think he does it again this season. He's been working with pass rush coaches all offseason and I think we see a special special player in 2019.

Best Player: Marlon Humphrey- Don't see who could unseat him in 2019. Should be in discussion as one the league's top overall players, regardless of position. 

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m sure if this were put into NFL General, minds would be lost. No way the Brown Avengers could lose to Purple Justice.

There's like an 80% chance they'll be 2-4 heading into the bye, with consecutive road trips to New England and Denver on the other side of it. First year head coach trying to dig out of an early season deficit,...can't wait to see how that goes.  

One of the guys I constantly discuss football with did some number crunching: 

According to him, pass coverage is more important than the pass rush. Basically if the coverage can hold their own, the pass rush will get there.

7 minutes ago, Danand said:

According to him, pass coverage is more important than the pass rush. Basically if the coverage can hold their own, the pass rush will get there.

Yup, that's been the prevailing thought for a couple years now in learned circles. I always site Kansas City last year as a perfect example. Quickest pressure rate in the league, but their defense was garbage. 

Hail to the Kings of Coverage....us. :ph34r:

• Like 1