Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

7 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Regardless of the facts that we are at least a decent team now and that Flacco will likely improve with better health and some pieces added, I'm ready to start looking for a QB of the future, that we can have under contract for the next 5 years. 

Learn from doing the opposite of the Browns. Draft QBs early and often if needed. It's that important a position.

I'm seeing Lamar Jackson mocked all over the place from top prospect to not a first round pick. I think he is special. Like I thought Watson was special before the draft last year, even though his stock moved all over the place before ultimately ending up too low. 

Its a dangerous path though, because even though it is "kind of stupid" not to draft a QB, we have stabilized our in-house approach to the QB-competition and avoided the stuff in Cleveland, Giants, Tampa etc.

And again, if Lamar Jackson drops, or a Baker Mayfield drops, then we could take a long hard look if they are there with our 2. round pick.

6 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Regardless of the facts that we are at least a decent team now and that Flacco will likely improve with better health and some pieces added, I'm ready to start looking for a QB of the future, that we can have under contract for the next 5 years. 

Learn from doing the opposite of the Browns. Draft QBs early and often if needed. It's that important a position.

I'm seeing Lamar Jackson mocked all over the place from top prospect to not a first round pick. I think he is special. Like I thought Watson was special before the draft last year, even though his stock moved all over the place before ultimately ending up too low. 

I mean the pats have been doing it constantly with Cassel/ Mallet/ garoppolo, so yea Id say its a good idea. I wouldnt touch one in the first round though. Id be ok with late second at earliest. 

14 minutes ago, paraven said:

I mean the pats have been doing it constantly with Cassel/ Mallet/ garoppolo, so yea Id say its a good idea. I wouldnt touch one in the first round though. Id be ok with late second at earliest. 

The reason that approach works with the Pats is because they have an elite quarterback. No one is dumb enough for Brady to have one bad game and talk about replacing him with the rookie/young quarterback (well most aren’t dumb enough anyway). So taking a 2nd or 3rd round quarterback does for the Pats is allow them to groom an underrated QB prospect that unexpectedly falls and in a bad year for “draft” quarterbacks, trade said backup for greater draft value. So it’s a brilliant plan. Also in the event that Brady retires, a potential option is already waiting in the wings.

However, for most teams it won’t work out so pretty. For many, having a backup options means it divides the fan base and then ultimately the team. Tyrod Taylor was a 6th round pick and played well enough to divide the fan base on Flacco. It also wastes resources that can better be used to continue building a dominant unit. Until Flacco shows he has no zip anymore or that he can’t be a clutch performer, spending a high round pick on a quarterback would be a mistake. How often do 2nd round quarterbacks actually pan out for teams? Now why would risking team chemistry for those chances be a smarter move than just riding with an option that’s good enough to win in the playoffs. I think many have forgotten Kyle Boller and the many years before Flacco where elite defenses were wasted because we couldn’t even get game managing type play from the position. As far as I’m concerned, Flacco will never be elite, but he can play smart enough football, is tough, is durable, and is clutch.

Edited by diamondbull424

On 12/5/2017 at 8:43 PM, RavensTillIDie said:

Of those guys, only OBJ was drafted in the first round. And Kirk has shown nowhere near the athleticism and leaping ability that OBJ did. So I still stand my my stance. 

Yeah. After looking at Kirk he’s nowhere near the player that Brown or OBJ are athletically. Don’t like him. I however could get down with Ridley if for some reason teams were stupid enough to let him drop to wherever the Ravens will be selecting (likely in the 20s-30s range).

44 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

The reason that approach works with the Pats is because they have an elite quarterback. No one is dumb enough for Brady to have one bad game and talk about replacing him with the rookie/young quarterback (well most aren’t dumb enough anyway). So taking a 2nd or 3rd round quarterback does for the Pats is allow them to groom an underrated QB prospect that unexpectedly falls and in a bad year for “draft” quarterbacks, trade said backup for greater draft value. So it’s a brilliant plan. Also in the event that Brady retires, a potential option is already waiting in the wings.

However, for most teams it won’t work out so pretty. For many, having a backup options means it divides the fan base and then ultimately the team. Tyrod Taylor was a 6th round pick and played well enough to divide the fan base on Flacco. It also wastes resources that can better be used to continue building a dominant unit. Until Flacco shows he has no zip anymore or that he can’t be a clutch performer, spending a high round pick on a quarterback would be a mistake. How often do 2nd round quarterbacks actually pan out for teams? Now why would risking team chemistry for those chances be a smarter move than just riding with an option that’s good enough to win in the playoffs. I think many have forgotten Kyle Boller and the many years before Flacco where elite defenses were wasted because we couldn’t even get game managing type play from the position. As far as I’m concerned, Flacco will never be elite, but he can play smart enough football, is tough, is durable, and is clutch.

I totally agree on everything you just said. 

c/p from russelstreetreport. some stats quite impressive, some are really nothing to brag about. Koch is a damn good punter in his own right, but he wouldn't get those punts into the 10/20 if it wouldn't be for the offense stalling in their own half too often.

still, this team seems to be peaking when it counts. go Ravens. prove me wrong about this season going down the drain early.

DQelkGaVAAAQx0V.jpg

On 12/7/2017 at 1:16 PM, diamondbull424 said:

On this very site, I was called an idiot for not throwing dirt on Brady's grave a few years back, before they were "on to Cincinnati."

4 hours ago, berlin calling said:

c/p from russelstreetreport. some stats quite impressive, some are really nothing to brag about. Koch is a damn good punter in his own right, but he wouldn't get those punts into the 10/20 if it wouldn't be for the offense stalling in their own half too often.

still, this team seems to be peaking when it counts. go Ravens. prove me wrong about this season going down the drain early.

DQelkGaVAAAQx0V.jpg

On the Suggs sacks on Ben, I'm pretty sure he has sacked him more than any individual has sacked any QB (so not just the most on Ben).

1 hour ago, paraven said:

Brownds released Britt. Do you take a look at him if he clears waivers? He has talent.

Hells no. If a WR can't cut it on the Browns, especially prior to Coleman and Gordon returning, they sure as hell don't deserve a spot on our team. Dude is slow, can't get separation, lacks motivation and injuries have taken a major toll on his body. He's just a big body that really isn't good for much else at this point in his career. Hard pass.

• Like 1

so who on the current roster of WR is back next year? I feel its safe to say Perriman and Maclin and Campanaro will be out. Leaving Moore and Wallace as the 2 to return. Id imagine Quincy Adeboyejo will make the team. Regardless, we will need to pick up a WR early in the draft and get one in FA. 

37 minutes ago, paraven said:

so who on the current roster of WR is back next year? I feel its safe to say Perriman and Maclin and Campanaro will be out. Leaving Moore and Wallace as the 2 to return. Id imagine Quincy Adeboyejo will make the team. Regardless, we will need to pick up a WR early in the draft and get one in FA. 

Don't forget Tim White.