Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

6 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Why not just re-sign players like Z smith? He's not Mack, but him and Preston Smith impacted the game more than just Mack and didn't cost any draft picks.

Because the gap between Z Smith and Mack is ginormous. Two firsts for a perennial 1st team all pro/DPOY is worth it.

Edited by M.10.E

4 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Why not just re-sign players like Z smith? He's not Mack, but him and Preston Smith impacted the game more than just Mack and didn't cost any draft picks.

Some of us would rather have Z. Smith than pursue a deal with C.J. Mosley, but I think the Ravens coaching staff thought they could get some of Z. Smiths production from another player.

This year McPhee will most likely have that role, and Jaylon Ferguson looks like a player who could be similar disruptive.

Glad that Z. Smith did well for you guys, I think he is a really good player and he deserved his payday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Because the gap between Z Smith and Mack is ginormous. Two firsts for a perennial 1st team all pro/DPOY is worth it.

Like I said, obviously Mack is the better player.... but I'll take Z smith, P smith, and the 2 first rounders they saved (Savage, and Gary) over one Khalil Mack and his contract all day.

• Like 1

Regarding this post, how do you guys feel about incorporating pass plays with Justice Hill going deep?

The idea of him getting up to speed against a flat footed linebacker, that could be a big play waiting to happen against both man and zone.

4 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Like I said, obviously Mack is the better player.... but I'll take Z smith, P smith, and the 2 first rounders they saved (Savage, and Gary) over one Khalil Mack and his contract all day.

P Smith has nothing to do with this conversation. You've seen one game of Z Smith, I've seen 30+. I'd take Mack over Smith/Savage/Gary. You have ZERO idea if the other two are going to be any good. And you can still sign Smith after Mack if you really wanted to.

Edited by M.10.E

2 minutes ago, Danand said:

Regarding this post, how do you guys feel about incorporating pass plays with Justice Hill going deep?

The idea of him getting up to speed against a flat footed linebacker, that could be a big play waiting to happen against both man and zone.

Doesn't he have some questionable hands? I might be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere.

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

M.10.E would likely counter that argument with us rather having McPhee on a veteran contract than Zardarius Smiths 17.5 mio  (or whatever it was) and a 3. round talent.

Nevertheless, I was probably much more in Z. Smiths corner than most, and I hope we could have kept him.

On the other hand, I would also very much like to see us pursue Yannick Ngkoue for both draft picks and a contract.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danand said:

M.10.E would likely counter that argument with us rather having McPhee on a veteran contract than Zardarius Smiths 17.5 mio  (or whatever it was) and a 3. round talent.

Nevertheless, I was probably much more in Z. Smiths corner than most, and I hope we could have kept him.

On the other hand, I would also very much like to see us pursue Yannick Ngkoue for both draft picks and a contract.

This. Teams can find solid to good players in drafts. To find that blue chip player that can single handily take over games is hard. People fall in love with the unknown in sports way too much.

Edited by M.10.E

1 minute ago, M.10.E said:

P Smith has nothing to do with this conversation. You've seen one game of Z Smith, I've seen 30+. I'd take Mack over Smith/Savage/Gary. You have ZERO idea if the other two are going to be any good.

He is talking about what they had to give up to get Z. Smith and P. Smith as well as their rookies. Thats a fair point to make. Bears gave up a lot for one player with the risks attached. If the Bears lose Mack to injury, they have a glaring hole compared to if the Packers lose one of those 4 players to injury.

Z. Smith was a great player for us and created sacks for his teammates by dispruting the opponents. It is not fair to evaluate him on his statline alone.

6 minutes ago, Danand said:

He is talking about what they had to give up to get Z. Smith and P. Smith as well as their rookies. Thats a fair point to make. Bears gave up a lot for one player with the risks attached. If the Bears lose Mack to injury, they have a glaring hole compared to if the Packers lose one of those 4 players to injury.

Z. Smith was a great player for us and created sacks for his teammates by dispruting the opponents. It is not fair to evaluate him on his statline alone.

Trading/signing Mack doesn't mean they can't sign Preston Smith though. Gary and Savage are complete unknowns. ZSmith is a fine player, but he's not in Mack's realm as a player. Take our last two years first rounds picks, I'd ship out Hurst and Brown for a Zach Martin/Khalil Mack type player any time any where.

Edited by M.10.E

3 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Trading/signing Mack doesn't mean they can't sign Preston Smith though. Gary and Savage are complete unknowns. ZSmith is a fine player, but he's not in Mack's realm as a player.

As I understand it, he doesn't say "smith = mack", as he notes the PAckers were able to get both P. Smith and 2 additional high draft picks. While Savage and Gary are unknowns, they also provide either depth or significant upside which can help the team.

Had we resigned Z. Smith we would be much less reliant on Tim Williams and Bowser panning out, while we right now are pretty screwed if neither of those 2 are able to contribute above what they have already done.

5 minutes ago, Danand said:

As I understand it, he doesn't say "smith = mack", as he notes the PAckers were able to get both P. Smith and 2 additional high draft picks. While Savage and Gary are unknowns, they also provide either depth or significant upside which can help the team.

Had we resigned Z. Smith we would be much less reliant on Tim Williams and Bowser panning out, while we right now are pretty screwed if neither of those 2 are able to contribute above what they have already done.

I'm just saying I'd rather have Khalil Mack level player over a Z Smith level player and two unknown's who MIGHT be good someday.

The Packers could've signed Preston Smith still.

This is just my personal opinion. I've seen too many draft picks not pan out in my life.

Edited by M.10.E

12 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I know I should probably wait at least till we play our first game to say this because Lamar could end up stinking up the joint, but one thing that amazes me is how much Mitch Trubisky escapes the whole "lol hE's a rUnNiNgBaCk" jokes. He has better raw arm talent than Lamar but throws like a shotputter and tends to duck and get into running mode quicker than Lamar does in actual passing situations, seemingly always running as soon as he decides his 1st read isn't there. 

I was thinking the same thing after that game yesterday.