Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

12 hours ago, M.10.E said:

Trading/signing Mack doesn't mean they can't sign Preston Smith though. Gary and Savage are complete unknowns. ZSmith is a fine player, but he's not in Mack's realm as a player. Take our last two years first rounds picks, I'd ship out Hurst and Brown for a Zach Martin/Khalil Mack type player any time any where.

Savage was an absolute stud last night, I thought they may have overdrafted him, but after last night, he looks like he’s going to be one of the next great NFL safeties; along with Derwin James (if he can stay healthy) and potentially Minkah Fitzpatrick (if the Dolphins ever use him correctly as a FS).

Technically the last two first round picks the Ravens made were for Lamar Jackson and Hollywood Brown.

Whats more before you rebuttal with “native first round picks” consider that Hayden Hurst wasn’t the original value of the Ravens pick. The original value of the pick was pick#16 and had they selected a player they could have taken either All Pro Derwin James or future stud Tremaine Edmunds... DeCosta was quoted as saying that James would have been the pick had they stayed in that slot.

In which case this scenario would be Derwin James/Andre Dillard on rookie contracts for 5 years OR Khalil Mack on a record setting deal.

However if we extrapolate the value of those 1st round picks and their trades we’re talking;

2018- Hayden Hurst, Mark Andrews, Kenny Young, Jaleel Scott, Bradley Bozeman, Greg Senat, Jordan Lasley, and part of the ammunition to grab Lamar Jackson.

2019- Hollywoood Brown, Iman Marshall, Trace McSorely

Remove those trades and we still have Joe Flacco at QB throwing to Chris Moore, Willie Snead, Miles Boykin, and Nick Boyle. What’s more without Lamar we also still have the 31st ranked rushing attack. The first round pick we give up also would have been higher (and stings a bit more to lose as we’re probably talking Jefferey Simmons or Garrett Bradbury) as without Lamar we miss the playoffs. Oh and also Harbaugh is fired, a new coaching regime comes in, and we have less pieces to equip them with for the rebuild.

All of that so that we run into the law of diminishing returns where our already top 10 defense can only statistically be improved so much. While the scenario of the value we actually consumed in the 18/19 drafts have led to what should be an allocative efficiency, with offensive impact as well as defensive impact that can be gleaned.

There was no scientific method to choose the Ravens who participated in this survey — I asked any player I could flag down while reporters were allowed in the locker room over the past two days. Here’s how the results shook out (two participants in the survey chose two breakout players, which left us with 27 total votes):

Miles Boykin: 7 votes

Patrick Onwuasor: 4

Mark Andrews: 3

Justice Hill: 3

Marlon Humphrey: 3

Bradley Bozeman: 2

Lamar Jackson: 2

Matthew Judon: 1

Ben Powers: 1

Otaro Alaka: 1

44 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

There was no scientific method to choose the Ravens who participated in this survey — I asked any player I could flag down while reporters were allowed in the locker room over the past two days. Here’s how the results shook out (two participants in the survey chose two breakout players, which left us with 27 total votes):

Miles Boykin: 7 votes

Patrick Onwuasor: 4

Mark Andrews: 3

Justice Hill: 3

Marlon Humphrey: 3

Bradley Bozeman: 2

Lamar Jackson: 2

Matthew Judon: 1

Ben Powers: 1

Otaro Alaka: 1

Probably skewed because the concept of “breakout” could mean different things to different people. For some players they may already view Humphrey as an elite corner, while others think he still has to “breakout” before becoming elite. Then some might view it as a young player that makes the biggest impact on the team. Some might view it as the surprise player that exceeded all expectations.

I think a question like which young player has the best season in 2019, is a little less vague and could eliminate some of the fluff.

edit: This does however make me wonder if I shouldn’t stash Boykin in fantasy. I currently have Hollywood as my stash, though Boykin will probably receiver more targets early.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I think a question like which young player has the best season in 2019, is a little less vague and could eliminate some of the fluff.

I agree. I mean RG3 chose Bozeman because the OL "doesn't get enough love". Then you have Peanut choosing Alaka. Who likely won't see much, if any, time this year. Your question would suit the purpose of the article much better.

9 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

edit: This does however make me wonder if I shouldn’t stash Boykin in fantasy. I currently have Hollywood as my stash, though Boykin will probably receiver more targets early.

As the guy who said he'd be disappointed if the Ravens left the first round of the draft with any player other than Hollywood, yes you should stash Boykin over Brown. Hollywood is going to provide a lot more value to our offense by being on the field than he will on the stat sheet. As we saw in the preseason, Boykin is going to be the big target who gets open that the QB is going to want to throw to when he's unsure.

5 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

As the guy who said he'd be disappointed if the Ravens left the first round of the draft with any player other than Hollywood, yes you should stash Boykin over Brown. Hollywood is going to provide a lot more value to our offense by being on the field than he will on the stat sheet. As we saw in the preseason, Boykin is going to be the big target who gets open that the QB is going to want to throw to when he's unsure.

Oh I meant stash both. I feel like Boykin is the safer stash player initially, but I just have this feeling that Lamar will have crazy chemistry that takes off with Hollywood once teams try and contain him using zone. Honestly I’m projecting a Torrey Smith type rookie season, but it wouldn’t shock me if Hollywood does even better and puts up 1000 yards. I mean, that’s only 62.5 yards a game and with his speed, that could all be gained on just one player where he sneaks behind a defensive secondary.

I like Boykin for the combination. I think he’s a 800 yard receiver as well but with more receptions. I’m thinking Boykin goes for 65, 800 yds, 6 TDs; while Brown goes for 50, 850 yds, 6 TDs. So in PPR leagues Boykin could produce better... though Brown may also have hidden potential to be gleaned from rushing the football via end arounds carries that might ultimately make him better.

I knew when the AB nonsense started in Oakland that it would end with him a Raven or Patriot. So many of these clubs just embarrass themselves with their inability to curb these players. Oakland handled this like the total amateurs that they are. Now once again 90% of the league gets cucked out and a high level player goes to a contender. I love seeing all the Raiders fans who were screaming for Brown to be cut- now recoil and cry foul. 

I'm glad he's not a Raven. It's not that I think he'd be a problem here either. I just don't want former steelers becoming Ravens, it's that simple.  

Edit: Just saw this from Zrebiec. Did he have Derek Carr in fantasy or something? lol. Too many people have too much energy invested in this guy. Somewhere Tyreek Hill is smiling. 

Edited by DreamKid

11 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I knew when the AB nonsense started in Oakland that it would end with him a Raven or Patriot. So many of these clubs just embarrass themselves with their inability to curb these players. Oakland handled this like the total amateurs that they are. Now once again 90% of the league gets cucked out and a high level player goes to a contender. I love seeing all the Raiders fans who were screaming for Brown to be cut- now recoil and cry foul. 

I'm glad he's not a Raven. It's not that I think he'd be a problem here either. I just don't want former steelers becoming Ravens, it's that simple.  

Yeah had Boykin not emerged as having serious potential and Hollywood had such serious potential, I might’ve considered AB. But the one year rental of his talent (because we wouldn’t sign him long term), wouldn’t be worth setting back our youth.

• Like 1

the Browns better get their ish together asap or that clown show is going south very fast.

with a rookie HC at helm it's like a perfect storm brewing and you can already imagine things totally unrevel with that guy in over his head with all those big ego players constantly giving their 2 cents to the media.

and while the Steelers always start slow, noe that Tomlin basically put his future in Bens hands they better start winning some football games or fans and teammates are going to be raising some very sincere questions if those two should be leading this team much longer.

very entertaining weeks ahead i hope. lets hope Suggs doesn't clown his former team next week to begin with though.