Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

Torrey Smith retires with an appropriately lovely, mature, and measured manner.

Easily one of my all-time favorite Ravens and one of the best people to put on the uniform - and although it probably says more about our awful track record with WR's, he's right up there in terms of being one of our greatest receivers of all time and is by default probably the best homegrown receiver we ever produced.

The Pats game after his brother died is one of the most unforgettable performances by any Raven ever. Just awe inspiring. 

Will also always remember him for the way he introduced himself to the NFL with that insane Rams game, the way he singlehandedly created the Joe Flacco DPI offense, and the way he burnt Champ Bailey to a crisp and kept us afloat in the legendary Broncos divisional game.

There was a time when I thought he was going to be a career-long Raven and Ring of Honor/all-time great level player for us, and in that sense it's a little disappointing his career didn't quite go where I thought it might, but a hell of a career nonetheless and extra points in my book for picking up a 2nd ring beating the Pats along the way. Sounds like he's coming home to Baltimore and I'm sure he's going to be focused on more than just football things but I hope to see him have some role/involvement with the Ravens in an official capacity as well. 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Torrey Smith retires with an appropriately lovely, mature, and measured manner.

Easily one of my all-time favorite Ravens and one of the best people to put on the uniform - and although it probably says more about our awful track record with WR's, he's right up there in terms of being one of our greatest receivers of all time and is by default probably the best homegrown receiver we ever produced.

The Pats game after his brother died is one of the most unforgettable performances by any Raven ever. Just awe inspiring. 

Will also always remember him for the way he introduced himself to the NFL with that insane Rams game, the way he singlehandedly created the Joe Flacco DPI offense, and the way he burnt Champ Bailey to a crisp and kept us afloat in the legendary Broncos divisional game.

There was a time when I thought he was going to be a career-long Raven and Ring of Honor/all-time great level player for us, and in that sense it's a little disappointing his career didn't quite go where I thought it might, but a hell of a career nonetheless and extra points in my book for picking up a 2nd ring beating the Pats along the way. Sounds like he's coming home to Baltimore and I'm sure he's going to be focused on more than just football things but I hope to see him have some role/involvement with the Ravens in an official capacity as well. 

http://www.ravenspr.com/records/records_complete.pdf

Receiver records on page 7. So other than Derrick Mason, the next best Ravens receiver all time is easily Torrey Smith. He also has our rookie WR TD record with 7 TDs as well.

edit: And with the touchdown record for Ravens WRs (at 30) plus a ring, plus 2nd in Ravens WR yards, I’m sure he’s got to be up there in playoff yards and touchdowns (potentially beating Mason) as well... and you could make the argument that he’s the most impactful WR in Ravens history.

I think he still makes the Ring of Honor. I mean, he’s literally the first quality homegrown receiver in our history. Along with all of his other achievements. Great influence within the community. I think he sneaks in.

Edited by diamondbull424

16 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Might settle for a 3rd+ ??

We should look into this

The only problem I have with Minkah is his mentality. Who goes through one summer of not being utilized the way you want and demands a trade as a rookie?

Thats weak sauce. But yeah, I would’ve offered a 2nd even considering that knowing his talent (and knowing our propensity to be terrible drafting in the second round generally) if we didn’t have Earl Thomas.

For a third? They’d be stupid to deal him for that. I’d rather make him sit and rot then settle for such a low pick.

They're also foolish for allowing him to dictate what was in their plans. If they didn’t feel he was a fit for their scheme or they didn’t want to cater to his skillset no way I don’t trade him during the preseason for a 1st or a couple 2nds. Honestly after his mother made those comments and he said, “well she’s not wrong” I would have started engaging in trade talks because the writing was on the wall.

7 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

The only problem I have with Minkah is his mentality. Who goes through one summer of not being utilized the way you want and demands a trade as a rookie?

Thats weak sauce. But yeah, I would’ve offered a 2nd even considering that knowing his talent (and knowing our propensity to be terrible drafting in the second round generally) if we didn’t have Earl Thomas.

For a third? They’d be stupid to deal him for that. I’d rather make him sit and rot then settle for such a low pick.

They're also foolish for allowing him to dictate what was in their plans. If they didn’t feel he was a fit for their scheme or they didn’t want to cater to his skillset no way I don’t trade him during the preseason for a 1st or a couple 2nds. Honestly after his mother made those comments and he said, “well she’s not wrong” I would have started engaging in trade talks because the writing was on the wall.

If I was drafted to a team that then asked me to learn 6 positions in one offseason as a rookie while not feeling like I was supported, I would feel the same way. Remember how we treated Kamalei Correa? This feels kind of similar, but with a much more talented player.

I see Minkah going to Seattle, personally. Pete knows how to get the best out of talented players and put them in positions to succeed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If I was drafted to a team that then asked me to learn 6 positions in one offseason as a rookie while not feeling like I was supported, I would feel the same way. Remember how we treated Kamalei Correa? This feels kind of similar, but with a much more talented player.

I see Minkah going to Seattle, personally. Pete knows how to get the best out of talented players and put them in positions to succeed.

Lol I know you love gassing Carroll/the Seahawks up but he's treated Russel Wilson like he's Tyrod Taylor for the past 2 years so I'm just gonna have to disagree here. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

That’s another good destination that I hadn’t considered. That’s actually my preferred destination as it gets him out of the AFC. For all the “Hollywood burned him” jokes. Hollywood would’ve burnt other safeties much worse. Like had Hollywood not done that shimmy at the end of that run and cut it back inside, Minkah runs him down and makes the tackle with his 4.4 speed. Most safeties he doesn’t even need to make that move.

2 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Lol I know you love gassing Carroll/the Seahawks up but he's treated Russel Wilson like he's Tyrod Taylor for the past 2 years so I'm just gonna have to disagree here. 

I should've said ** on defense **

We're in full agreement that the way that franchise has handled Russ the past few years has been...head scratching, to say the least. But it seems like people either expect the Seahawks to throw 50 times a game or 20 times a game, with no room for the Hawks to actually be balanced and throw a lot using PA off their run game.

2 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

That’s another good destination that I hadn’t considered. That’s actually my preferred destination as it gets him out of the AFC. For all the “Hollywood burned him” jokes. Hollywood would’ve burnt other safeties much worse. Like had Hollywood not done that shimmy at the end of that run and cut it back inside, Minkah runs him down and makes the tackle with his 4.4 speed. Most safeties he doesn’t even need to make that move.

Word. Also, it'd give Hollywood another chance to burn him come October when we travel to Seattle. (personal note, I'll be at that game!)