Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

Have you guys heard? Lamar's play isn't sustainable.

That sucks. Apparently he's going to incur an unspecified career altering injury that he'll have no ability to rehab from on one of those massive hits he takes each game and/or teams are going to deploy a defense that can't be articulated by anyone touting it's coming apocalyptic effect on our offense. 

Guess we'll just have to enjoy the ride while we can. :/

Wouldn't it be great if that was all just moronic rambling though, and not in anyway reality based commentary?

Cause on paper we have the best young core in the NFL and should dominate for years to come.

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Have you guys heard? Lamar's play isn't sustainable.

That sucks. Apparently he's going to incur an unspecified career altering injury that he'll have no ability to rehab from on one of those massive hits he takes each game and/or teams are going to deploy a defense that can't be articulated by anyone touting it's coming apocalyptic effect on our offense. 

Guess we'll just have to enjoy the ride while we can. :/

Wouldn't it be great if that was all just moronic rambling though, and not in anyway reality based commentary?

Cause on paper we have the best young core in the NFL and should dominate for years to come.

Is he gonna put up these stats his whole career? Probably not because that'd mean he's the greatest QB of all time lol. Regression from this is still a pro bowl QB. People act like his regression is out of the league

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

People act like his regression is out of the league

Or back to their previously described version of him(Can't throw, 1 Read, etc), which also never existed. He's playing so well that they can't delude even themselves with fairy tale narratives anymore, so they keep predicting/wishing doom scenarios for him instead. 

The bottom line is and has always been that Lamar Jackson was an extremely high floor and high ceiling QB prospect. His generational running ability, pocket mechanics, command, and general mental acuity made him a viable 'game manager' for any club in the league right away. We put him in the right system and he put in the work. His progression and our specialization has culminated in a historic offense. He deserves all the praise he gets.

Essentially none of the criticism surrounding him is based in reality, it's mostly just ghoulish people wishing ill upon him. His detractors want him to get injured so they can be right about their low hanging, ignorant, wishful thinking "Unsustaineble INjruies R comin" takes. Forget his All Time spacial awareness, reflexive decision making, elite athleticism, proven durability, or the fact that most of the 'hits' he takes are about a 2 on a 10 scale- when he doesn't simply get out of bounds. No, he's going to get injured cause "loik at Rgthrey". Clowns.

Hope they're all ready. Does anyone around here think Lamar is going to be worse next year? lol. Nope. He's going to once again be Bigger, Faster, Stronger and better in every avenue of Quarterbacking. With bookend Tackles protecting him, the best Tight End core since Gronk/Hernandez, a Franchise weapon(Marquise Brown) that he'll actually get to have a normal offseason and camp with, and so so much more. Oh, he'll have a nice big ring on his finger too. 

• Like 1

Really wondering what we need offensively to take it to another level. Obviously what we have is great as it’s currently on multiple streams of historic pace: Team Rushing Title and All Time OSE leader. But I can’t help but think SOMETHING is missing, perhaps that something won’t make it BETTER, but simply more dangerous. Maybe it’s the IOL, perhaps Lamar’s abilities covers up something there. Maybe it’s a savvy WR with some speed, we saw Michael Crabtree find plenty of opportunities as he got himself open to make plays with Lamar, but he typically would drop them. Maybe what I think we’re missing is a Ray Rice type of open field threat at the RB position.

I don’t know what it is, but our offense feels like well seasoned food that tastes delicious, but could still use some Old Bay... because everything is better with Old Bay. We need an Old Bay difference maker on offense.

• Like 2

We need the type of outside receiver in the DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas mode. Boykin could have/should have been that guy.

I think we need a better screen game. The Saints have been able to throw a screen and get positive yards/break big plays for years now. It seems we are just not an offense that favors/is able to execute that play.

Homerun ability from our running back core - even after the game with Gus Edwards, we need Justice Hill to find succes and break the big ones to completement our ability to execute long, grinding drives.

It is icing on top of the cake, but I think we have the players to be able to execute the mentioned plays above.

• Like 1

I want to add another speedster or two. Marquise Brown takes our offense to the next level, but we are overly dependent on him. We should do what the Chiefs did and just grab two more guys like that. The Chiefs have like 3 other poor man's Tyreek Hill and didn't miss a beat throwing to them instead of Hill (they've had other offensive issue later with Hill back). The Eagles offense OTOH looks awful now because they were counting on Desean Jackson to stay healthy and be their deep threat.

With the attention Lamar draws and the time he can buy, if you are faster than the guy covering you, you should eventually get wide open. For the most part Boykin and Roberts have been stuck to their defenders after their route "finishes".

Edited by wackywabbit

21 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

I want to add another speedster or two. Marquise Brown takes our offense to the next level, but we are overly dependent on him. We should do what the Chiefs did and just grab two more guys like that. The Chiefs have like 3 other poor man's Tyreek Hill and didn't miss a beat throwing to them instead of Hill (they've had other offensive issue later with Hill back). The Eagles offense OTOH looks awful now because they were counting on Desean Jackson to stay healthy and be their deep threat.

With the attention Lamar draws and the time he can buy, if you are faster than the guy covering you, you should eventually get wide open. For the most part Boykin and Roberts have been stuck to their defenders after their route "finishes".

I thought of the same thing watching speedsters in the draft proces. Like, KJ Hamler is really exciting and just how much do we compromise in blocking with adding him or a similar type to the roster? With him inserted we are less prone to lose the ability to stretch the field if Marquise goes down with injury.

18 hours ago, Danand said:

It is icing on top of the cake, but I think we have the players to be able to execute the mentioned plays above.

Perhaps I’ll eat crow on this, but just not in the Justice Hill ball club. I see a lot of Alex Collins in him. No great RB vision IMO. With him being such a high pick I’m not sure if the team would move on from him and they’re definitely not moving on from Ingram and Gus, but I agree a homerun threat would be great. Hill is very explosive and fast, he’s just too much of an athlete for my liking. Probably should’ve played DB like his brother.

In college a great athlete can get away with not having great vision, but in the NFL it’s much more difficult. Plus his hands aren’t all that great to be a legit receiving RB that you put on a LB to expose him, like a Reggie Bush. Maybe he’ll prove me wrong next year, but I would love to draft another RB, that guy Clyde Edwards-Helair is who I really want. He’s the perfect fit within our offense with Edwards and Ingram.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Perhaps I’ll eat crow on this, but just not in the Justice Hill ball club. I see a lot of Alex Collins in him. No great RB vision IMO. With him being such a high pick I’m not sure if the team would move on from him and they’re definitely not moving on from Ingram and Gus, but I agree a homerun threat would be great. Hill is very explosive and fast, he’s just too much of an athlete for my liking. Probably should’ve played DB like his brother.

In college a great athlete can get away with not having great vision, but in the NFL it’s much more difficult. Plus his hands aren’t all that great to be a legit receiving RB that you put on a LB to expose him, like a Reggie Bush. Maybe he’ll prove me wrong next year, but I would love to draft another RB, that guy Clyde Edwards-Helair is who I really want. He’s the perfect fit within our offense with Edwards and Ingram.

Justice Hill's vision has definitely been a problem. The only way you get a speed back to be under 4YPC in this offense is that he doesn't recognize gaps and you regularly see it on film. 

OTOH, Gus Edwards has really been picking it up recently. He's going to be quite the asset going into the winter games again, without a huge workload wearing him down from the season.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&year_min=1920&year_max=2019&season_start=1&season_end=-1&pos[]=rb&draft_year_min=1936&draft_year_max=2019&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&draft_pick_in_round=pick_overall&conference=any&draft_pos[]=qb&draft_pos[]=rb&draft_pos[]=wr&draft_pos[]=te&draft_pos[]=e&draft_pos[]=t&draft_pos[]=g&draft_pos[]=c&draft_pos[]=ol&draft_pos[]=dt&draft_pos[]=de&draft_pos[]=dl&draft_pos[]=ilb&draft_pos[]=olb&draft_pos[]=lb&draft_pos[]=cb&draft_pos[]=s&draft_pos[]=db&draft_pos[]=k&draft_pos[]=p&c1stat=rush_att&c1comp=gt&c1val=200&c5val=1.0&order_by=rush_yds_per_att

^Among RBs with >200 carries, Gus Edwards YPC of 5.33 is 8th all time, which is pretty awesome for a "power back".

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

^Among RBs with >200 carries, Gus Edwards YPC of 5.33 is 8th all time, which is pretty awesome for a "power back".

Perfect player-system match. Dude averages 8.9 YPC going against base fronts this year. That's F'n bonkers. 

AVERAGE DEFENDERS IN THE BOX  STACKED FRONT CARRY RATE  BASE FRONT CARRY RATE  LIGHT FRONT CARRY RATE  SHOTGUN CARRY RATE UNDER CENTER CARRY RATE GOAL LINE CARRIES
6.3 15.5%  (2.9 ypc) 23.9%  (8.9 ypc) 59.2%  (4.8 ypc) 90.1%  (5.9 ypc) 8.5%  (1.2 ypc) 4  (0.4 p/g)
#48 #34 #49 #12 #2 #54 #27
Edited by DreamKid
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

It's too early to write Justice Hill off, but we should invest in another high end back. Ingram turns 30 in December and while Gus has been great for us, we aren't going to give him the kind of contract he'll want going forward.

Are we already worrying about contracts for that 2018 class after 1.5 years? :D None of them hit real free agency until 2022 when they have 4 accrued seasons. Lamar and Hurst can both get the 5th year option, so that's a 2023 problem. Andrews, Zeus Jr, Gus, Bozeman, Deshon Elliot, and Marlon Humphrey hitting FA all at once will be a big year, but they'll start working through that early, I'm sure.