Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

35 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

So the JJ Watt return from the triceps injury makes me somewhat wonder if it’s possible we might see Pernell McPhee again. Super Bowl is almost another month away and McPhee went down the week before Watt. If he could return that could be a huge boost for our run defense... assuming we could make it that far.

I know Trawick returned from IR but I can’t recall a second return slot being used. Also can’t recall if you could activate a guy to practice post playoffs starting. Also might not benefit him to return with the possibility of reinjuring himself for his last game under contract. Plus the team May prefer the experience to go to the young guys. But still, McPhee doesn’t have much time left in this league, might as well go out with a bing... he could definitely help the run support.

I feel like if McPhee could return, we'd already know about it. I doubt we see him.

1 hour ago, RavensTillIDie said:

From what I'm reading it seems the more likely target for them is Kevin Stefanski from the Vikings. And the Vikings winning this past weekend is really what's holding up any type of formal announcement.

Yea, I’m more and more skeptical that Roman is a fit for them. He doesn’t strike me as a guy you hire to be the CEO (e.g., Harbaugh) and if he’s not going to build to the scheme he’s known for (because you’re committed to Baker As the centerpiece), what’s the point ?

11 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

All for prioritizing him over Judon. Our pass rush was nonexistent on the few drop backs where the Titans passed it. We need some interior pass rushers like yesterday. Pierce is gone as well, literally can’t recall any play he made all game long.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

All for prioritizing him over Judon. Our pass rush was nonexistent on the few drop backs where the Titans passed it. We need some interior pass rushers like yesterday. Pierce is gone as well, literally can’t recall any play he made all game long.

Been on the don't pay Judon train. Cannot pay two NTs

12 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Clark may have been to blame on the long 2nd TD pass, based on Humphries coverage I think he thought he had deep safety help.

This whole defense is hard to evaluate because they've been playing with the lead for the entire 2nd half of the season, and only playing about 25 minutes per game. It turns out when you aren't front running its a lot harder to make plays. If Clark had been on the field with Canady and Averett at CB and ILBs out of position, he might have looked as bad as Jefferson. Sometimes its best to let these contracts play out. 

1 minute ago, AngusMcFife said:

Clark may have been to blame on the long 2nd TD pass, based on Humphries coverage I think he thought he had deep safety help.

This whole defense is hard to evaluate because they've been playing with the lead for the entire 2nd half of the season, and only playing about 25 minutes per game. It turns out when you aren't front running its a lot harder to make plays. If Clark had been on the field with Canady and Averett at CB and ILBs out of position, he might have looked as bad as Jefferson. Sometimes its best to let these contracts play out. 

Nah. Clark's good. Everybody sees it but you apparently. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

That play was almost a perfect replication of how John Brown burnt Stephon Gilmore in Week 16, right down to the route Raymond ran.  Its basically the perfect way to break that defense based on the way outside CBs play leverage.  You can see a breakdown of it in this video

• Like 1

Hope tonight reinforces how important it is to give Lamar more weapons - we simply can't rely just on scheming with Andrews and Hollywood as our only individual talents, particularly when they both seem to have persistent injury issues. We maybe lost tonight because of Andrews' ankle and it's only gonna continue. 

15 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Hope tonight reinforces how important it is to give Lamar more weapons - we simply can't rely just on scheming with Andrews and Hollywood as our only individual talents, particularly when they both seem to have persistent injury issues. We maybe lost tonight because of Andrews' ankle and it's only gonna continue. 

Yup. It’s been a big concern for me with Andrews that sucks but has to be realized, Andrews is diabetic. It doesn’t stop him from balling out but he clearly needs to be “load managed” because it impacts his ability to recover at a high level. It’s a part of the symptoms of it and he’s definitely managed it well, but I agree I don’t think this is an issue that’s going to improve. We need to get Lamar a legit go-to threat with hands... this is definitely the draft class to do it. I will have to start dialing in more on what WR options have great hands/concentration with a legit trait.

• Like 1

Can we also talk about how the only two weapons we had on offense this year were basically injured all year with ankle injuries? Hollywood and Andrews were limping all year long, and they were literally the only weapons we utilized cuz we made damn sure to never put Hayden Hurst in any sort of role where he could flourish.

during the braodcast it was mentioned that Boyle did have 31 passes to Hursts 30 during reg season.

why ever that is, someone has to tell Roman AND Jackson to split targets between his primary pass catching options at TE.

Boyle is an elite run blocker and should be used as such. No need to piss off your promising, safe-handed TE you made your first draft selection not too long ago.

his drop mid 4th quarter (or basically him not even looking for the ball) clearly was due to frustration, he mentally checked out since he didn't get targets all game long and didn't expect the ball to go his way.

****in Boykin did get targets en masse and what exactly did he do with those.