Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

4 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

during the braodcast it was mentioned that Boyle did have 31 passes to Hursts 30 during reg season.

why ever that is, someone has to tell Roman AND Jackson to split targets between his primary pass catching options at TE.

Boyle is an elite run blocker and should be used as such. No need to piss off your promising, safe-handed TE you made your first draft selection not too long ago.

his drop mid 4th quarter (or basically him not even looking for the ball) clearly was due to frustration, he mentally checked out since he didn't get targets all game long and didn't expect the ball to go his way.

****in Boykin did get targets en masse and what exactly did he do with those.

We had started going Hurst’s way on the drives before. So there wasn’t any excuse for him to not be looking at the football, none. I mean even if you’re frustrated, it’s the playoffs... Hurst’s performance in this game makes me want to trade him more than anything. He will never live up to his 1st round billing, yet he seems to be a player more apt for the Browns or something because he cares WAYYY too much about his targets. Everyone else on this team just go to work. How often have you heard of Willie Snead complaining about targets and he’s a WR?

You can’t yell, “pass me the ball” and then when we start targeting you, you’re not even looking on that play. If I made gifs, I would literally make one of that sequence for laughs.

I don’t genuinely dislike Hurst as a person or player, but its clear that he’s not a fit for this team. What’s more, we’ve had a lot of opportunities for guys to make plays against the zone and Hurst just seems to be inferior in understanding how to manipulate a zone and get open in it like Hollywood and Andrews, this team would be better served if we can trade Hurst for a 3rd round pick in the draft and getting a better team fit. Wash the hands of the mistake with Hurst once and for all.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

because he cares WAYYY too much about his targets.

hmm. i didn't know he said a single word about him wanting more targets during reg season.

actually i kinda felt for him at times with the focus Lamar set on Mandrews. That boy did his share of big plays but if you are not going to use your #2 TE better to trade him when he still has value.

him yelling to throw him the ball tonight was after his fellow TEs and WRs drop a ton of balls so yes, i do understand that he was already frustrated at thzat point because he knows he's got the best hands on the team besides #15 and maaaaaaybe just wanted to contribute to his team beating the **** at home yxou don't think? after all hes a competitive athlet or so i'd think.

its just... for years everybody complained Flacco didn't have any supporting cast worth an ish.

The WR corps still does need an influx of talent but the TEs are set for years, IF you use them and not drive them off the team due to simply ignoring them through full games at times.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Night and day between how KC handled being down and how we did. KC didn't alter their game plan and panic. We did.

They had a lot go right for them though in that 2nd Q. Nonetheless, they did keep their composure and stuck to being true to themselves and do what they do best. We didn't, you're right. 

• Like 1

Because again, Greg Roman is trash. And this is where the love/hate relationship with Harbs come into play. You see the game just like us armchair coaches at home, you can't tell me you're pleased with Roman completely abandoning the run when you're down ONE SCORE in the 3 quarter! So trash!

@baltimoreRebel Not surprising at all. Makes a ton of sense.

Edited by RavensfanRD

3 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Nobody is really talking about Marlons comments last night and today. Definite shade at the coach. 

I imagine that Marlon's probably comparing what Harb's said after the loss to what Nick Saban would have said to them after they lost the National Title to Clemson in 2016 (Marlon's last year in Tuscaloosa).  Saban would have been all fire and brimstone, and I don't think Harbs has that same level of visceral anger and intimidation in him, and obviously Marlon is the sort of person that needs that/reacts well to it

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I imagine that Marlon's probably comparing what Harb's said after the loss to what Nick Saban would have said to them after they lost the National Title to Clemson in 2016 (Marlon's last year in Tuscaloosa).  Saban would have been all fire and brimstone, and I don't think Harbs has that same level of visceral anger and intimidation in him, and obviously Marlon is the sort of person that needs that/reacts well to it

I'm not a huge college football guy, but this would be like if Bama lost the natty to UW.

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm not a huge college football guy, but this would be like if Bama lost the natty to UW.

I'm only comparing what I assume was the coach's response, not the quality of the loss.

Saban seems like the kind of coach that would lose it at any loss, whereas Harbs seems to be moving further and further away from that sort of coaching style.  

I think understanding that Marlon is probably the type to respond to shouty criticism, and is used to it, is the basis of understanding why he said that and maybe why more isn't being made of it

10 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

They had a lot go right for them though in that 2nd Q. Nonetheless, they did keep their composure and stuck to being true to themselves and do what they do best. We didn't, you're right. 

They  had a long long return help set them up, and then their special teams gave them another shot deep within the red zone.

Chiefs certainly did better playing from behind, but it was on the back of their special team ability. Then Mahomes did better than Jackson to finish the job. Fortunately his receivers found their hands as they also failed him on several occasions. I believe they had as many or even more drops than the Ravens did last night.

Marlons tweet can be interpret in multiple ways. To me it could just be Marlon saying, that Harbs will have some sort of speech that won't matter much to how he/they feel right now, but that is what he is supposed to do as a coach.

EDC, Harbaugh, Wink and Roman did one hell of a job this year. Along with Lamar developing into what he has been, they turned a 10-6 team into a 14-2 team against a much more difficult schedule, all while they managed to to it with a lot of interchangable pieces. On offense Ravens have great talents but also some huge deficiencies - some which was masked by coaching, some by Lamar being Lamar. 

Calling Roman thrash is ignorant after he managed to put together an offense which broke so many records. Lamar is the key, but he didn't do it alone and by improvisation. 

Harbaugh, Wink and Roman however did have a really bad game. They managed what the Titans did very bad and they got carried away and was more struck by the moment than our young QB was. That has to improve.

I still believe, that we panicked when we didn't have to, but too many players also made mistakes they usually don't make. Preparation and execution and playing into what the Titans wanted. 

I think the formular worked, but it need to be tweaked to give us a better chance to turn games around.

Saying we should do what the Chiefs did is imo wrong. The Chiefs rode two great special teams to a team comeback.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Players that do this kind of thing annoy me. It's so Judonish

I’m guessing part of Marlon’s frustration is he likes to play outside corner and while he still got All Pro, playing inside has definitely led him to not look quite as good as he could outside. We’ve seen him shutdown Julio along the outside. We’ve seen him man up against AJ Green outside IIRC. In some of his interviews he’s come across as being annoyed at his inside role and loves that Young will be back. So whatever we do with our corners, it’ll be interesting to see. They may just let Smith move on because with Humphrey and Peters on the outside, he’s redundant. Even though he’s a stud, the front office may have moved on. Unless Peters might be interested in playing some deep safety in nickel/dime sets vs corner, I’m not sure it will work.

May instead just have to use Smiths money’s to throw at an IDL. I mentioned bringing in Marcel Dareus on a quality deal as a cut player.

Perhaps the front office makes a serious commitment inside and as opposed to Smith we let him walk to offset signing a guy like Gerald McCoy.

————— Thomas ———— Clark —————

Humphrey———— Young ————— Peters

Bowser —— rookie—— Fort—— Ferg/rookie

McCoy—————Williams————— Dareus

In this scenario we keep Carr as corner, nickel, safety depth. We still have the Joker at safety. We have some guys like Olaka and Board as inside depth options. With this front we should definitely be likely to win in the trenches.

• Like 1