Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

3 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Would suck to lose him given he's likely OC-in-waiting but with Roman still here it's understandable for him to make the jump if the offer comes in. 

Yup. Especially with competition from Culley as well. Honestly I’m really curious to see what Urban can do leading the offensive unit. Seems very meticulous and detailed. Yet he’s clearly flexible enough to have been a great QB coach for Lamar after having been an top WR coach for the Cincy Bengals when they developed TJ Housh, Chad Johnson, and all those guys.

• Like 1

Harbaugh's presser today seemed very different from years past. It was a lot less coach speak and a lot more honesty (or a lot of him saying things that everyone knew was true but previously he wouldn't admit to). I also like that our staff is staying here for another year (barring unforeseen circumstances), allowing more continuity with the schemes and players.

If we have a successful draft, next year can be even better than this year.

• Like 1

once the rush from the reg season and the bitter taste of defeat in the div round settles you realise this was always supposed to be a transitional year for your 2nd year rookie QB and the tailor made offense build during the offseason.

things only point up from here. great things to come for this franchise.

all positional coaches staying is such a great thing for both the O and D. another year to build upon the foundation that has been set.

AFC, look out. this team is going to be in the run for the conference again.

10 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Harbaugh's presser today seemed very different from years past. It was a lot less coach speak and a lot more honesty (or a lot of him saying things that everyone knew was true but previously he wouldn't admit to). I also like that our staff is staying here for another year (barring unforeseen circumstances), allowing more continuity with the schemes and players.

If we have a successful draft, next year can be even better than this year.

Yup. Just watched the entire thing as well. The takeaways (for those who are looking to avoid the 40 mins) were that:

1) The team will not be sitting on their laurels with scheme, they will be looking to make adjustments to the offense and defense to counter anything other teams will be throwing at them.

2) The team can improve by focusing on #1 above as well as with improving the personnel in “certain areas”, the front 7 seemed to be confirmed to be a huge focus. Later he reveals that they’ll be looking for “certain kinds of guys”. They are looking to add 2, 3, maybe 4 of those types of guys this offseason.

3) Got the impression that the schematic challenge Harbaugh danced around was the lack of guys who could win 1on1 upfront. He mentioned Jihad Ward aloud as someone who was a good team fit, it was one of the few times where he brought up a player vs the media guys bringing them up first. Could be reading too much into it, but this might be the blueprint of the kind of player the Ravens will be interested in bringing in (6’5” 290 lbs) to improve the team.

4) Harbaugh also seemingly went out of his way to bring up how he’s heard this lWR class could be pretty special. He mentioned that there is seemingly two blueprints for the kind of WR that they want to bring in. We can assume that with Hollywood Brown being a speed demon... that’s probably one of the types. Hollywood also has great hands, so fast with good hands. Miles Boykin is a little different than Hollywood. His hands aren’t terrible, they’re very solid, but not elite by any measure. Though Boykin is still a HWS dynamo with size to him. Is this the second archetype?

5. Hayden Hurst was mentioned as someone that Harbaugh brought up. Hurst apparently hit the nail on the head with what he needed to improve on. I had hypothesized that perhaps their might be some trade potential there with Hurst but from Harbaugh’s perspective that didn’t seem to be necessarily on the table.

6. However Harbaugh did mention trades as a potential avenue to improve this teams personnel.

7. Definitely seemed like the defense, the front 7 in particular, would be the main focus of this offseason... as we all mostly surmised here.

8. This loss really hit the team very hard. Hopefully the pro bowl will serve as a means of uplifting the spirit of the team. Very similar to that 2011 loss via wide left Cundiff. Without a Ray Lewis in the locker room to uplift the teams spirit, it will be important for guys to finish this season on a higher note... hopefully the probowl helps to accomplish that particular aim.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2020 at 8:46 AM, BaltimoreTerp said:

Love that Urban is sticking around. Important continuity for Lamar.

Couldn't ask for much more in that department, and it likely won't last beyond the 2020 season. Lamar gets a rock solid 3 year progression window with the same coaching unit. Major blessing for our young QB.

23 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

This loss really hit the team very hard. Hopefully the pro bowl will serve as a means of uplifting the spirit of the team. Very similar to that 2011 loss via wide left Cundiff. Without a Ray Lewis in the locker room to uplift the teams spirit, it will be important for guys to finish this season on a higher note... hopefully the probowl helps to accomplish that particular aim.

Probably one of Lamar's first big tests as a leader. And I do think he'll be able to flip this for our guys, just adding it as fuel for the fire for next season's campaign. Guys like Deshon Elliot and Tavon Young will be returning too. The latter being a young leader himself, who will be overflowing with energy and spirit- after just missing such a historic regular season. Should really help a young player like Marlon center himself, after dealing with the Playoff loss in not the best way.

This was a really bad loss. One where there was no rhyme or reason for it to really happen, and as a result a difficult air has settled on the team. We need the leaders and true dogs on this team to step up and show everyone that the only thing that happened as a result of that loss- was our dynasty's coming reign getting pushed back 1 year. This core is special, nothing can change that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I don't know if we could beat Kansas City the way that offense is playing, but it's so crappy that we **** the bed against Tennessee. 

Absolutely gut wrenching. Only silver lining here is Andy Reid is one of the good guys and I hope he gets a ring. Send Sizzle off the right way too. 

I'd be open to having him back next year for one last year to send him out a Raven. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, baltimoreRebel said:

It's making me sick to watch this game. Still so gutted about last week. 

We played so so bad I just can’t feel this way. It was much worse in 2011 and 2014. Those games we were there until the dreadful end. We just got murdered this time around. 

1 hour ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Absolutely gut wrenching. Only silver lining here is Andy Reid is one of the good guys and I hope he gets a ring. Send Sizzle off the right way too. 

I'd be open to having him back next year for one last year to send him out a Raven. 

I could care less about Suggs winning at this point. He’s a mercenary. I’d rather the Packers win it all now. And if not them, then I’m cool with the Chiefs winning... but only because Mahomes has a real shot to dethrone Tom Brady as the GOAT. Plus Reid deserves one. Beyond that, Suggs can kick rocks and retire a Chief. When this team most needed a veteran presence like his, he had other designs in the previous offseason, plus he could’ve made his way to BMore with the right kind of leverage but that’s not what he wanted.

Throw in the information that I hadn’t known regarding his girl/wife until now and I can say I’m no longer a fan.

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

I could care less about Suggs winning at this point. He’s a mercenary. I’d rather the Packers win it all now. And if not them, then I’m cool with the Chiefs winning... but only because Mahomes has a real shot to dethrone Tom Brady as the GOAT. Plus Reid deserves one. Beyond that, Suggs can kick rocks and retire a Chief. When this team most needed a veteran presence like his, he had other designs in the previous offseason, plus he could’ve made his way to BMore with the right kind of leverage but that’s not what he wanted.

Throw in the information that I hadn’t known regarding his girl/wife until now and I can say I’m no longer a fan.

A terrible accusation but don't have that energy for Suggs and celebrate Ray. I'm not sure where you stand on Ray but it's the se issue I have with Lewis. 

I'm tired of defending the guy and his pathetic excuses when it comes to the evening in question.

My thought process was a veteran pass rusher for our squad next year. Forgot about the incident with his baby mom though. Rough. 

1 minute ago, RavensfanRD said:

That Chiefs/Titans game has shown us that Roman is the Dean Pees of offense. And I'm pissed!

At the end of the day it comes down to execution and we didn’t. Can’t drop touchdowns/first downs and not get 4th and 1’s. 

• Like 1