Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

1 minute ago, Darth Pees said:

Why not keep Carr at his price just for insurance if/when someone gets hurt? He's still a reliable #2/#3 CB. You can play Tavon and Marlon out there in base sets and then bring in Carr in Nickel packages. At least then you have some insurance in case someone goes down.

Also with Weddle, I think a better role will benefit him. He's still really good when he's playing centerfield and being asked to ballhawk - not when he's being asked to play around the LoS and make tackles, because we've all seen him try to tackle before. I think if we relegate him to a centerfielder (ala Ed Reed when he lost his ability to tackle) and relegate Jefferson as the box safety (ala Bernard Pollard) we should be fine there.

I'm still of the boat that Jimmy Smith should have some trade value, so if we're looking to cut him, just see if we can trade him for a 3rd or 4th round pick first before doing it. Everyone else, like Maclin and Woodhead, I'm totally okay with cutting. However, it's also kind of contradictory that you don't want to spend a fortune on old guys but you want to sign Jimmy Graham.

Jimmy Graham is an old pass catcher. A lot more old pass catchers having success than old corners. And sure. There’s roles for some of those guys. But we need to build an offense. And to do that we need to get a lot of money out of the defense. 

10 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Jimmy Graham is an old pass catcher. A lot more old pass catchers having success than old corners. And sure. There’s roles for some of those guys. But we need to build an offense. And to do that we need to get a lot of money out of the defense. 

Jimmy Graham is really just an old red zone target. Can't block, has very shaky hands, and is useless outside of the red zone. If you want to target an older TE who can actually move the chains for us, I'm all for it. 

I'm also all for cutting weight like Jimmy Smith on the defensive side. But cutting Carr as well and then rolling with Young, Humphrey, Canady, and Hill without any veteran presence there is not smart, IMO.

Jimmy Smith wouldn’t be able to be traded until he passes a physical. Which if he can pass a physical, then it would be better rolling the dice with him. We could cut him but would also have to pay him an injury settlement for releasing him while he’s hurt. All that sounds more complicated than just keeping him.

Id rather not sign an old tight end for big money like Jimmy Graham. We’ve shown a strong track record of being able to find and develop talented tight ends. I’d much rather go that route. I’d easily trust our ability to draft a game breaking tight end over our ability to draft a game breaking receiver. Thus if we are going to go with a veteran skill player, I’d much rather it be a veteran wide receiver.

1 hour ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

It’s putting Marlon Humphrey and Tavon Young out there which is what we’re going to end up with anyway when Smith gets injured like he always does and Carr gets benched. And Weddle can’t tackle and looks like he’s hurt every time he makes contact with someone. So far his football IQ has made up for it. But that isn’t going to last much longer. Even if Jimmy wasn’t a 30+ corner coming off an Achilles he still wasn’t worth the cap hit he’s scheduled to take. We have two young CBs we like. There’s no need to still be spending a fortune on these old guys 

Young is coming back off a serious injury, and will need time to get up to speed. And I'd rather have him playing at nickel anyway. Canady still has to prove he's more than adequate depth, and Jaylen Hill is still an unknown commodity. With Jimmy Smith likely to start on PUP, getting rid of Carr just isn't a good idea. He played up to his contract this year, in the role the Ravens signed him to play - a complementary CB to Jimmy Smith.

I don't mind losing Weddle, but he's the only one of the three that I'd be willing to see cut. Like you say, he can't tackle, but his football IQ makes up for it a lot of the time. But unless the Ravens can find another FS who has some of his strengths but less of his weaknesses, there's no real point in cutting him.

8 minutes ago, Mancunian Raven said:

Young is coming back off a serious injury, and will need time to get up to speed. And I'd rather have him playing at nickel anyway. Canady still has to prove he's more than adequate depth, and Jaylen Hill is still an unknown commodity. With Jimmy Smith likely to start on PUP, getting rid of Carr just isn't a good idea. He played up to his contract this year, in the role the Ravens signed him to play - a complementary CB to Jimmy Smith.

I don't mind losing Weddle, but he's the only one of the three that I'd be willing to see cut. Like you say, he can't tackle, but his football IQ makes up for it a lot of the time. But unless the Ravens can find another FS who has some of his strengths but less of his weaknesses, there's no real point in cutting him.

Weddle at this point in his career seem to be very much Ed Reed. Either a big play or a liability. I'd say let him play deep and roam and use his football IQ, and stop forcing him into a role he can't fill anymore.

Also, does anyone have any insight on the cap to clarify, if we can retain Jensen even though he will be expensive? If we can retain Jensen, we have a lot more freedom to pick in the draft.

Saying goodbye to Watson, Woodhead, Maclin, Perriman should make us able to provide Jensen with a contract, and if we can't draft to make up for that contribution from the before mentioned players in the draft, then we need a new FO. With Jensen, we somehow isn't forced to go oline in the draft, and we could get Courtland Sutton in the first, and then pick up another receiver and a tight end in the draft.

That's 3 new receiving options and if just 1 pans out, we will benefit more than we would do with new oline issues.

7 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

I just had flashbacks to that Jacoby Jones TD against Denver in the playoffs...

I think Marcus Williams' tackle "attempt" will go down as one of the worst ever defensive plays - even worse than Rahim Moore running under the pass that would become the Mile High Miracle

• Like 2

6 hours ago, drd23 said:

I think Marcus Williams' tackle "attempt" will go down as one of the worst ever defensive plays - even worse than Rahim Moore running under the pass that would become the Mile High Miracle

That play resembles the mile high miracle in so many ways. The hail mary type of throw right on the money, the complete inept attempt to break up the tackle/defend the ball, the touchdown, damn.

We should have picked Stefon Diggs in the draft and we all knew it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

1. With the hiring on Martindale, at least we didn't hire Ken "I ran the 32nd ranked DVOA Oakland Raiders defense into the ground and got fired for it" Norton Jr. to be our DC!

2. Mile High Miracle > Minnesota Miracle. 

As much as I love the Mile High Miracle, if the Vikings win the Superbowl then I think the Minnesota Miracle overtakes it.

8 hours ago, berlin calling said:

just imagine the Ravens, after all the uproar between us fans, canning Pees and Mornhinweg only to hire Norton Jr and Schottenheimer. i have literally no idea what the Seahawks brass was thinking, or is it Carrols call? Bizarre. 

It's Carroll. Since I follow the Seahawks being that I live so close, I get a lot of FieldGulls and Seahawks writer updates - these guys are both Carroll guys. Norton was the LB's coach before leaving for Oakland, and Schotty coached with Pete a while back.

Pete is basically re-structuring all of his top assistants after last year, as they'll now have new OL and LB's coaches along with 2 new coordinators.

Although hiring Norton and Schotty is so bad, and it's hilarious watching Seahawks writers scramble to attempt to justify either hiring.