Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Taysom Hill is Tim Tebow if Tim Tebow was even worse at throwing a football. And also 30 years old before getting drafted, essentially.

Taysom Hill is actually a pretty solid thrower of the football.

Mechanically he is far ahead of Tebow.

Initial comment comparing him to Lamar is still silly obv

Yeah that’s pretty laughable. 22-26 y/o Taysom Hill in college had a career passer rating of 121.4; in his 5 years of production he accumulated 6929 passing yds, 43 TDs, and 31 Ints. He adds another 2132 yds and 32 TDs, and 5.3 ypc. Hill got drafted as a 26 y/o rookie and is a good gadget player.

Conversely 18-20 y/o Lamar Jackson had a career passer rating of 142.9; in those three seasons he passed for 9043 yds, 69 TDs, 27 Ints. Lamar adds another 4132 rushing yards and 50 TDs, and 6.3 YPC. Lamar won a Heisman and has now won an NFL MVP... as the youngest QB ever to win the award.

For a coach in the NFL to make these types of comments isn’t just laughable, it’s highly suspect, disrespectful, and pathetic. Nothing Hill has done has been at Lamar’s level in college not the pros. Have to wonder if this guy shouldn’t be coaching in the XFL instead... perhaps he can coach Taysom Hill to an MVP in THAT league at some point....

Edited by diamondbull424

Could this be a year, where Ravens doesn't try to use the compensatory picks formular?

I looked at our free agents, and only Judon, Pierce, Smith and maybe Onwuasor could receive contracts that warrants consideration in the comp pick formular.

Judon could go as high as a 3rd round pick while Pierce and Smith might be worth 4th round picks at the most. Onwuasor I doubt receive as much as we hope, so that would be a late round pick at most.

While Pierce might look for a new contract, Jimmy Smith wants to come back and I think that would be the right choice for us. There has been talks about tagging Judon with the intent of trading him - which is an idea I think would be a wise one.

In general, I don't see this years group of free agents as one that could contribute with several comp picks next year, and if we want to upgrade at guard, linebacker, pass rusher, then that would negate the possible comp picks form Judon and Pierce.

3 hours ago, Danand said:

Could this be a year, where Ravens doesn't try to use the compensatory picks formular?

I looked at our free agents, and only Judon, Pierce, Smith and maybe Onwuasor could receive contracts that warrants consideration in the comp pick formular.

Judon could go as high as a 3rd round pick while Pierce and Smith might be worth 4th round picks at the most. Onwuasor I doubt receive as much as we hope, so that would be a late round pick at most.

While Pierce might look for a new contract, Jimmy Smith wants to come back and I think that would be the right choice for us. There has been talks about tagging Judon with the intent of trading him - which is an idea I think would be a wise one.

In general, I don't see this years group of free agents as one that could contribute with several comp picks next year, and if we want to upgrade at guard, linebacker, pass rusher, then that would negate the possible comp picks form Judon and Pierce.

I think the Ravens are in a win-now mode, so getting comp picks is less of a priority. The Ravens have 2020 and 2021 when Lamar will be on his cheap rookie deal, I think we will load up our team both years and make a run. Those comp picks wouldn't really help us that much until 2022, since mid-round draft picks take time to develop. 

It would be awesome if we could package Judon and some picks for a guy like Quinnen Williams from the Jets. They reportedly rejected 'blockbuster' offers for him last year, but maybe they'd reconsider now. And since he's on his Rookie deal we could still make a splash in FA. 

Far fetched I know, but who saw a Kenny Young for Marcus Peters deal being swung? I think EDC's displayed aggression gives us creative license to draw up a few 'out there' trade propositions.

Bottom line, if we want a significant bump in impact from EDGE or DI- we'll have to pay for it. Through FA or with draft compensation packaged into a deal. I think the team is aware of this and will makes moves accordingly. 

10 hours ago, Danand said:

Perhaps. But I really think we only make one legit UFA splash... if that. We’ve always been a secondary market team and while I see DeCosta as being more aggressive than Ozzie, I don’t see him completely abandoning the formula.

I mean the secondary market will likely find quality veterans on the market that could include: Calais Campbell, Marcell Dareus, and Sammy Watkins just to name a few. Smart trade options such as Marvin Jones Jr could potentially be available for one of our comp 4ths.

I see plenty of strategies available to the team to improve the team while maintaining the comp pipeline. It’s not just about the picks themselves, but now that they can be traded they’re even more valuable resources in improving this team in the immediate future and in the down the road future. So unless unquestionable value presents itself, I doubt we are going to sign backup OL and starting ILB options if it means giving up the prospect of a 4th/5th round comp pick.

Perhaps if it’s edge and DI, such as with Clowney and McCoy for instance, I could see us shirk the comp picks... but then I also think it would be difficult to afford two premier options at those two spots in UFA. If DeCosta could make those two signings happen and fit under the cap, he’s truly a magician. Outside of that, have to imagine we would look at some cap casualties and trades to fill out key spots. But free agency is steadfastly approaching before us so we’ll see in a few weeks.

12 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Smart trade options such as Marvin Jones Jr could potentially be available for one of our comp 4ths.

Here's an idea: Matthew Judon for Marvin Jones Jr. Maybe swap a couple of draft picks as well but not really a deal breaker for me either way. It makes so much sense for both sides.

Edited by BareYourTeeth

6 hours ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Here's an idea: Matthew Judon for Marvin Jones Jr. Maybe swap a couple of draft picks as well but not really a deal breaker for me either way. It makes so much sense for both sides.

Draft picks would definitely need to be swapped. There’s talk that Judon might net a 2nd round pick plus another pick. He’s in the prime age of his career. MJJ is over 30 in the “decline” stage of his career and a 4th probably be his max value, could perhaps be had for a 5th.

I certainly wouldn’t be against this deal. In fact it’s a pretty brilliant trade scenario. However the lowest I would go for would be:

Matt Judon

Marvin Jones Jr + 3rd

Though if we could somehow get a second out of the deal that would be ideal... even if the value is similar. Something like:

Matt Judon + 4th

Marvin Jones Jr + 2nd

This draft isn’t as deep as some in the past, acquiring a high 2nd would be an absolute boon. With how high the Lions pick, we could even package another 4th to move up and get the additional year for whichever player we might consider. Young players such as an Xavier McKinney, Patrick Queen, Cesar Ruiz, etc.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I really want to get Clowney. Ideal world we tag and trade Judon, while picking up Clowney as an UFA.

Seems like if we do get Clowney on a big contract then Judon's cap hold on the tag will pretty much prevent us from making any other moves, no? Teams might just wait us out knowing we likely have to renounce his rights rather than making a trade.