Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

ETWjeQfX0AA45i4?format=jpg&name=large

Round One

1. Mulitalo, Brown, Mughelli, McPhee- Only one requiring an explanation is probably Brown. Neither player did a whole lot, but Brown has a ring.

2. Boyle, Nakamura, Moore, Taylor- Went Moore over Anderson for sure. He at least played for our squad.

3. Wagner, Gillmore, Bozeman, LeRon McClain- Not much surprise here.

4. Juszczyk, Urban, Williams, Pashos- Nothing controversial here.

Round Two

1. Mulitalo, McPhee- Really thought about the second one. I think its pretty tied. Overall I think Mughelli was the better player at his respective position over McPhee, however McPhee getting hot that season was ultimately one of the bigger reasons for our team going on that championship run and making it happen.

2. Boyle, Taylor- Nothing controversial here.

3. Wagner, Bozeman- Upset special. I know many would take McClain over Bozeman because he made the pro bowl. But he was mainly just a good blocker, he was not as dominant a FB as Mughelli or Leach. His pro bowl credits largely come from being a volume rusher that one season and then name recognition the season after. While Bozeman was able to win the starting spot and solidify a problem position the prior couple seasons (due to injuries to Lewis and Hurst), what’s more he was along the OL that blocked for the most rushing yards in NFL history and the only team in NFL history to reach the 200/200 mark. I also expect that there’s more he may add to his resume before its all over.

4. Juszczyk, Pashos- Easy decisions here.

Round 3

1. Mulitalo, Boyle- This was another close call with regard to Taylor and Boyle. Both players were stuck behind superior players in Lewis and Andrews, but Boyle has become known as one of the best blocking TEs in the league, gives him the edge even though Taylor probably was the superior talent given his post-Ravens life of 1500 yds rushing.

2. Wagner, Juszczyk- Pashos only played three seasons with the team so I can’t elevate him beyond KJ. Bozeman in time might surpass Wagner however. We’ll see how it goes.

Round 4

Mulitalo- dominated for such a long time period. He also was a part of a rushing record and special season.

Wagner- You win the game in the trenches. Both players were similarly good, but positional value is a thing.

Round 5- 

Mulitalo- SB ring, plenty of years of consistently putting in work in-season and offseason.

• Like 3

The Steelers restructured a ton of their contracts to gain cap room yesterday  - mostly in the form of converting base salary to bonuses.

Does this in any way hurt their cap down the line? Seems like they do it every year. And if it doesn’t have an impact on the cap, why don’t we ever do that instead of straight up extending contracts when we need cap relief?

2 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

The Steelers restructured a ton of their contracts to gain cap room yesterday  - mostly in the form of converting base salary to bonuses.

Does this in any way hurt their cap down the line? Seems like they do it every year. And if it doesn’t have an impact on the cap, why don’t we ever do that instead of straight up extending contracts when we need cap relief?

Yes, it pushes dead money on the cap to future years. Cap hits from bonuses get prorated (spread over multiple years) while base salary is only on the books for the current season. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Yes, it pushes dead money on the cap to future years. Cap hits from bonuses get prorated (spread over multiple years) while base salary is only on the books for the current season. 

Thanks, always wondered that.

29 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

26 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Yep, this question crops up every few years. I think some folks were asking "why don't we just do that" with I think it was the Jets notably a few years back. The issue is that there are no silver bullets that our FO isn't taking advantage of. The simple restructures the Steelers are doing are something we've used in the past. The drawback is that they create pretty "lumpy" dead money hits that take up large percentages of total cap in a specific year. Adding years onto a contract is a smoother way to do it if you think there's a higher probability of that player being a useful piece in the future. 

For example, Flacco's contract was set up to be extended after year-3 from the beginning. Theoretically, the Ravens could have converted Year-4 salary into bonus and had the additional dead hits in 5 and 6, but that would have meant that the team would either be forced to cut him in year-5 or have virtually NO money for other players. An extension made the future damage more tenable on a yearly basis. While the Flacco contract may not have been the greatest value in the world, it's instructive to why you would use one method over another.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Predicting how tough a schedule will be before a season is typically wildly inaccurate, but it can't hurt that we don't have to play Brady or Hopkins

The 17 game seasons start right away - right? Do we know who that extra matchup is gonna be for us? Is it an extra NFC game, so that the conferences balance out on who has extra home games? 

2 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

The 17 game seasons start right away - right? Do we know who that extra matchup is gonna be for us? Is it an extra NFC game, so that the conferences balance out on who has extra home games? 

It doesn't start this year. It may start as soon as 2021.

8 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Predicting how tough a schedule will be before a season is typically wildly inaccurate, but it can't hurt that we don't have to play Brady or Hopkins

True. But I’m starting to get a little afraid of what Belichick might be able to cultivate with a potentially healthy and motivated Cam Newton... assuming he goes to New England. I mean when Newton is on, he’s a serious problem... if anyone can get him back on the gravy train for a run it would be BB. Just saying.