Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

Yes we struggled with deep passes outside the hashes but we also only had one real option when it pertained to that type of pass play and he (Hollywood) was playing hurt... I’m not saying Lamar couldn’t have made some better throws in certain instances but the overall criticism of his play by people is crazy to me... he certainly had some passes that could have been thrown better but the guy was arguably the leagues best passer last year with a second year TE and an injured rookie as his leading targets... On a side... DeCosta has taken this roster from average talent/fringe playoff competitor to arguably best roster in the entire league/super bowl favorites in two seasons... Very impressed with his work so far 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bmorecareful said:

Yes we struggled with deep passes outside the hashes but we also only had one real option when it pertained to that type of pass play and he (Hollywood) was playing hurt... I’m not saying Lamar couldn’t have made some better throws in certain instances but the overall criticism of his play by people is crazy to me... he certainly had some passes that could have been thrown better but the guy was arguably the leagues best passer last year with a second year TE and an injured rookie as his leading targets... On a side... DeCosta has taken this roster from average talent/fringe playoff competitor to arguably best roster in the entire league/super bowl favorites in two seasons... Very impressed with his work so far 

FWIW, Ozzie's selections in 2018 have a strong impact on that.

17 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

None of this is to say that Lamar's perfect - nobody is - but the fact that people are still out there trying to come up with this 'one neat trick' to shut down Lamar are just grasping at straws.

"Defensive coordinators hate him..."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

All I need you to do is say "Take care trash" again, please. icon_lol.gif

I'm always down to watch Browns misery. 

Lol it was at that moment that i knew Webby was a Browns fan. 2 weeks for that after the entire Browns forum came in here and trolled after week 4? Unreal.

37 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Lol it was at that moment that i knew Webby was a Browns fan. 2 weeks for that after the entire Browns forum came in here and trolled after week 4? Unreal.

That one was a bit weird. You rarely see someone actually banned, temporarily or not, for one post. Typically it's a posting trend or continued pattern of outside the rules behavior that brings down the hammer. You didn't seem to meet the usual criteria at the time.

I just hope things go more smoothly this season. Half the teams in the league's fans think they're our rivals now. We really don't need fandom wars every single week spilling from thread to thread claiming bodies(bans) as they roll. Chiefs, Browns, and Titans Weeks are the stretches where I'll probably be the most concerned about losing a couple members. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

That one was a bit weird. You rarely see someone actually banned, temporarily or not, for one post. Typically it's a posting trend or continued pattern of outside the rules behavior that brings down the hammer. You didn't seem to meet the usual criteria at the time.

I just hope things go more smoothly this season. Half the teams in the league's fans think they're our rivals now. We really don't need fandom wars every single week spilling from thread to thread claiming bodies(bans) as they roll. Chiefs, Browns, and Titans Weeks are the stretches where I'll probably be the most concerned about losing a couple members. 

Crazy we've reached a point where our most civil conversations are probably going to be Steelers week, haha. I mean at least those two teams/fan bases have always respected each other. Browns fans are just...yikes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

The monthlong stretch of Titans--> Steelers Thankgiving primetime ---> Cowboys primetime (if they're having a good season) --> Browns primetime is gonna be a bloodbath of trolls in here. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I think "new money" fanbases are always the most contentious back-and-forths on here. I remember the Texans in the earlier part of last decade when they finally got good and faced us in the playoffs ("you don't understand, Brian Cushing was BLEEDING in a game!") and Chiefs fans when they first started drafting well a few years back (topic about it every offseason).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sp6488 said:

FWIW, Ozzie's selections in 2018 have a strong impact on that.

I dont have any proof of this but I believe Decosta took the lead on the 2018 draft and allowed Ozzie to take credit... if nothing else he was behind drafting Lamar... There is no way I’d ok u trading my second round pick In my first official draft as Gm unless I was completely on board with the selection... to be honest I think it goes back even further than that... the whole idea of doubling down in the early rounds with the same position Over the most recent drafts appear much different than the normal routine of drafting under Ozzie... And while some have worked and some haven’t it seems clear our draft strategy currently shows a pattern that looks more DeCosta than Ozzie 

8 hours ago, bmorecareful said:

I dont have any proof of this but I believe Decosta took the lead on the 2018 draft and allowed Ozzie to take credit... if nothing else he was behind drafting Lamar... There is no way I’d ok u trading my second round pick In my first official draft as Gm unless I was completely on board with the selection... to be honest I think it goes back even further than that... the whole idea of doubling down in the early rounds with the same position Over the most recent drafts appear much different than the normal routine of drafting under Ozzie... And while some have worked and some haven’t it seems clear our draft strategy currently shows a pattern that looks more DeCosta than Ozzie 

You're entitled to your opinion, but reading what you wrote sounds a bit like twisting yourself in knots to credit one guy over the other.

• Like 1

We have always "doubled down", haven't we?

I recall several drafts with picks at the same position within the first 4 rounds, Ed Dickson and Dennis Pitta, Grubbs and Yanda, Osemele and Gradkowski, Bowser and Williams and probably a lot more I can't remember

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bmorecareful said:

As always I think Decosta had a big role in the 2018 draft but Ozzie had the final say. There is no doubt you can see both philosophies in this draft. I think trading down getting extra picks and getting Hurst  and missing out on Derwin James screams Ozzie. Now that’s not meant as a slight because hindsight is 20/20 but, after the draft Decosta even talked about how much he loved Derwin James. As for the Lamar pick I think that was on both of them. I believe Ozzie wanted Lamar I also think Decosta also wanted him and was good with the trade up. Orlando Brown screams Ozzie pick. In the end it doesn’t really matter. Ozzie was an amazing GM and no matter what Decosta does in the future nothing will change that. I’m just happy we go from one Amazing GM to another.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, santiagomn8 said:

As always I think Decosta had a big role in the 2018 draft but Ozzie had the final say. There is no doubt you can see both philosophies in this draft. I think trading down getting extra picks and getting Hurst  and missing out on Derwin James screams Ozzie. Now that’s not meant as a slight because hindsight is 20/20 but, after the draft Decosta even talked about how much he loved Derwin James. As for the Lamar pick I think that was on both of them. I believe Ozzie wanted Lamar I also think Decosta also wanted him and was good with the trade up. Orlando Brown screams Ozzie pick. In the end it doesn’t really matter. Ozzie was an amazing GM and no matter what Decosta does in the future nothing will change that. I’m just happy we go from one Amazing GM to another.

I agree with your take. I also suspect this was a very slow and methodical changing of the guards over 5+ years with lots of collaboration. It is very likely EDC has had the role of a full GM but without final say for years working with Ozzie. Remember how Bisciotti transitioned ownership from Modell. He has spoken many times about how beneficial it was for him to learn as he ramped up ownership. It certainly worked out well for us with ownership and now our GM.

• Like 3