Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

45 minutes ago, Jlash said:

What did you guys think of Tyus Bowser after year 1? I know he was drafted with the caveat from a lot of people that he'd be a project, but how did Ravens fans feel about him year 1 and going forward?

Getting Tyus was a massive steal for us. If he had been allowed to rush the passer more at Houston his sack totals would've been much higher and that coupled with his athletic testing could've made him in the discussion for a top 10-15 pick. He's twitched up with great COD ability and explosion, he can easily open up his hips in coverage, just a super high potential impact player. I couldn't believe he made it to our second round pick. 

He's our future at SAM, but was given limited opportunities because of Dean Pees's inability to construct an EDGE rotation. His ability can't be denied though and most of us anticipate him at the least splitting time with Matt Judon a talented 3rd year but more than likely just winning the starting job outright. The project part of his game is largely his effectiveness against the run, but it doesn't profile as any bigger of an issue than other young athletic pass rusher entering the league. He's a beast.

Big picture he looks like a franchise cornerstone to go along with Marlon Humphrey our 1st round pick from last year who was an A+ pick himself.

13 hours ago, Jlash said:

What did you guys think of Tyus Bowser after year 1? I know he was drafted with the caveat from a lot of people that he'd be a project, but how did Ravens fans feel about him year 1 and going forward?

Like others have mentioned, his utilization last year was severely perplexing. He won Rookie of The Week in week 2 for his performance against the Browns, and then literally the week after that, his defensive snap counts plunged. If you look at his game logs and snap counts, the games where he got the most snaps, he produced the most. That's not a coincidence. When he was rewarded with playing time, he made a difference, yet Dean Pees refused to give him snaps over guys like Za'Darius Smith - for no reason at all.

For comparison here:

Za'Darius Smith: 48% of defensive snaps, 15 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 0 INT's and 1 PD

Tyus Bowser: 15% of defensive snaps, 7 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 PD's and 1 INT (primarily used as a pass rusher in pass rushing downs)

If you extrapolate Bowser's stats to to 50% of defensive snaps (IE multiply his production by 3x), he finishes with almost double digit sacks and some very quality statistics. The fact that he was benched for most of the season while Za'Darius Smith played was a goddamn travesty. I hope moving forward we see more of Tim Williams and Tyus Bowser and less of Za'Darius Smith.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Like others have mentioned, his utilization last year was severely perplexing. He won Rookie of The Week in week 2 for his performance against the Browns, and then literally the week after that, his defensive snap counts plunged. If you look at his game logs and snap counts, the games where he got the most snaps, he produced the most. That's not a coincidence. When he was rewarded with playing time, he made a difference, yet Dean Pees refused to give him snaps over guys like Za'Darius Smith - for no reason at all.

For comparison here:

Za'Darius Smith: 48% of defensive snaps, 15 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 0 INT's and 1 PD

Tyus Bowser: 15% of defensive snaps, 7 tackles, 3 sacks, 3 PD's and 1 INT (primarily used as a pass rusher in pass rushing downs)

If you extrapolate Bowser's stats to to 50% of defensive snaps (IE multiply his production by 3x), he finishes with almost double digit sacks and some very quality statistics. The fact that he was benched for most of the season while Za'Darius Smith played was a goddamn travesty. I hope moving forward we see more of Tim Williams and Tyus Bowser and less of Za'Darius Smith.

Don't hold your breath. Our defensive suffering shall continue. I just don't see it at all with our new DC. Just don't see it at all.

7 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

Don't hold your breath. Our defensive suffering shall continue. I just don't see it at all with our new DC. Just don't see it at all.

Fine then. Harbaugh will be fired and so will Martindale. Eric will locate a young/creative mind at defensive coordinator or the new head coach we hire will. It's enough of tolerating this BS. Does anyone of us think if Tim Williams and Tyus Bowser were on the Patriots, Patricia and Belichick wouldn't have a cemented role for them in an instant? They picked up James Harrison right before the playoffs and somehow worked him into the rotation properly and efficiently, are they the smartest men on earth and the only ones capable of such an intellectual feat or are we tolerating and fostering malignant self destructive incompetence?   

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Fine then. Harbaugh will be fired and so will Martindale. Eric will locate a young/creative mind at defensive coordinator or the new head coach we hire will. It's enough of tolerating this BS. Does anyone of us think if Tim Williams and Tyus Bowser were on the Patriots, Patricia and Belichick wouldn't have a cemented role for them in an instant? They picked up James Harrison right before the playoffs and somehow worked him into the rotation properly and efficiently, are they the smartest men on earth and the only ones capable of such an intellectual feat or are we tolerating and fostering malignant self destructive incompetence?   

Harbaugh won't be fired, and it's pretty damn clear by now his fate is not tied in any way to the coordinators he hires. I have no doubt that if Bowser was on a team like the Eagles, he would've gotten double-digit sacks. I also have no doubts that if Derek Barnett was on our roster this year, he would've seen as many snaps as Bowser and we'd all be talking the same way. It's a coaching issue, not a player issue.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Deactivated. No use for him.

Williams.gif

X6Ay1V.gif

giphy.gif

My favorite, on a play where he didn't jump, on 3rd and long. Perfect.

0f2c3-14-o1weq1nziqeagpprdq-a.gif?w=1000

C'mon now, using actual pass rush moves in a Dean Pees defense is against the rules. HAND FIGHTING ONLY. No spin moves. No swim moves. No rip moves. If you can't get by a guy by hand fighting him, you're useless to Dean Pees. The fact he couldn't find any way to incorporate Bowser and Williams, yet gave Za'Darius Smith 50% of defensive snaps tells you all you need to know. Pees prefers the slower guys who just use their hands and bull rush to the guys who can actually get the edge and force QB's to move around.

6:06, Tim Williams beats Joe Thomas easy for a would be sack to close out the game, Kizer manages to flick it away as he's being tossed to the ground. 

A ton of Bowser stuff in there too, Marlon snapping his head around and playing the ball(something many said he couldn't do), Sizzle work, lots of goodies in here from our best defenders.

• Like 2

What do you think Tampa would take for Cam Brate? We all know how important the TE position is for this offense and I’m not confident with plugging in a TE from this draft class into the drivers seat...with not one really having a true 1st round grade on. I feel if we miss out on Graham, we need to think about making a trade. Brate comes to mind because we have to think OJ Howard’s time has to come sooner rather than later. I say call Tampa and send them a 4th rd pick. Happy, happy for both sides and a great pick up for our offense.

• 2 weeks later...