drd23

Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

11 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I feel like a lot of times when people here say "9-7" they act like they just said "4-12"

That is because of how we got there. Considering the opposition we faced, there should be a huge asterix next to the 9-7 record. 

Another thing, I watched the Ravens Bengals week 17 game yesterday. The amount of drops by receivers/tight ends, holy moly. Flacco was also off for most of the game, and our defense only had stretches where it played well. That was two bad teams who faced eachother.

Can you guys remember that final Bengals drive? Our defense actually had 3-5 chances to close that game already before the 4 and 12 conversion, they just didn't have their hands attached.

Posted (edited)

It's just as easy for me to say we we're increidbly unlucky to go only 9-7 given a +92 point differential, 7th overall DVOA, 2-5 record in one score games, and our own siginifant injuries... as this incredible luck/huge asterick talk because of opponents.

Bottom-line is that a 9 win team isn't far from double digits wins. #math

Edited by wackywabbit

17 hours ago, Danand said:

That is because of how we got there. Considering the opposition we faced, there should be a huge asterix next to the 9-7 record. 

Another thing, I watched the Ravens Bengals week 17 game yesterday. The amount of drops by receivers/tight ends, holy moly. Flacco was also off for most of the game, and our defense only had stretches where it played well. That was two bad teams who faced eachother.

Can you guys remember that final Bengals drive? Our defense actually had 3-5 chances to close that game already before the 4 and 12 conversion, they just didn't have their hands attached.

5 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

It's just as easy for me to say we we're increidbly unlucky to go only 9-7 given a +92 point differential, 7th overall DVOA, 2-5 record in one score games, and our own siginifant injuries... as this incredible luck/huge asterick talk because of opponents.

Bottom-line is that a 9 win team isn't far from double digits wins. #math

Well said, Wackywabbit.  Also, with respect to the bolded, that's fine, as long as you are willing to go through every other team's season and do the same.  For example, the Steelers looked way worse against that backup-led Packers team that everyone loves to claim as a game we got lucky with.  I realize that if you make that a loss, they still win the division, but my larger point is that you could say the same for a bunch of teams and it doesn't really work if you only "penalize" the Ravens (and fail to include the other things WW mentions).  Basically, wins are wins in the NFL.

8 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Well said, Wackywabbit.  Also, with respect to the bolded, that's fine, as long as you are willing to go through every other team's season and do the same.  For example, the Steelers looked way worse against that backup-led Packers team that everyone loves to claim as a game we got lucky with.  I realize that if you make that a loss, they still win the division, but my larger point is that you could say the same for a bunch of teams and it doesn't really work if you only "penalize" the Ravens (and fail to include the other things WW mentions).  Basically, wins are wins in the NFL.

Wins are wins, we completely agree, and boy did I want us to make another trip to the playoffs. Could we have put up a better effort in the playoffs against the Jaguars, Steelers and Patriots than the other teams did? I am pretty sure of it. 

When I say there should be an asterix, it is mostly for internal discussion. Just as we was a a 9-7 team who barely missed the playoffs, we could also easily have been a 12-4 team. We hold the Bears on that last drive and don't miss a stupid tackle, we don't let the Steelers score twice in 3 minutes and we hold the Bengals and we look at one of the best records the Ravens have had under Harbaugh - I don't neglect that.

But after the season, looking forward to the next season, I think there is a point to make about an easy schedule when talking about expectations. Its the same talk about the Patriots every year, who have a freeway to the playoffs because of the division they play in. Albeit they sometimes struggle against the Dolphins, but despite 2 years where the Jets were relevant, it has been a division where the Patriots where secured at least 4-5 wins. That doesn't take anything away from the team once in the playoffs.

We could also mention the Chargers who buried themselves early - both because of Rivers not performing when he needed to, some idiot kicker(s) and other stupid mistakes. Those mistakes correlate with Weddle trying to strip the ballcarrier behind LOS instead of just making the tackle, or the defense not being able to hold leads in the last minute of the game. Chargers fans have to acknowledge that when talking about their expectations for next season.

lol

24. BALTIMORE RAVENS

PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:

Left Tackle: Ronnie Stanley, 76.2 overall grade
Left Guard: Alex Lewis, 45.6* (2016 grade)
Center: Matt Skura, 37.3
Right Guard: Marshal Yanda, 84.4
Right Tackle: James Hurst, 42.4

2017 season-end rank: 18th (-6)

The fate of the Ravens line falls in the hands – or more accurately the ankle – of Marshal Yanda. The future Hall of Famer has been unquestionably the best guard in football the past few years, but without him, Joe Flacco turned into a gun shy, checkdown artist last year. Turning 34 in September, there’s no certainty that Yanda ever returns to form.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-entering-2018

Looks like the Jags could use an NT. Possible trade partner for Carl Davis maybe....

With that lineup, while it most likely won't end up that way, I agree with our position rank. Our run blocking improved much over the season, our pass blocking did not.

We had the discussion a week or two ago, where I pointed out after watching some games from last year, that our oline rarely held up in pass blocking and often had to get help from 2 other blockers.  Ravens oline as a 5 man unit was not good last year in pass pro, and I really hope they can improve this year - otherwise our passing game will struggle again.

Congrats Tony, hope you got a prenup bro. That's goes for everyone on the forum as well. Prenup, Prenup, Prenup, Prenup, Prenup. I don't care if you're a plumber, get a prenup. I've heard too many horror stories. 

Nothing makes me happier than to hear that the Steelers absolutely fumbled the LeVeon Bell contract talks and not only is he sitting out half this year, he's gone next year.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Nothing makes me happier than to hear that the Steelers absolutely fumbled the LeVeon Bell contract talks and not only is he sitting out half this year, he's gone next year.

He's already backed off the sitting out thing. TBH, this is the best thing for the Steelers franchise and totally unfair to Bell and any other RB in his situation.

He is well worth the tag money on a year-by-year basis, but especially given his out of this world utilization, it's bad business to actually give him the long-term deal when trends point to a very sharp decline potentially early on in that deal.

I was hoping he got paid. If I were Bell, I definitely would have taken 5 yr, $70M.

Edited by wackywabbit

38 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

He's already backed off the sitting out thing. TBH, this is the best thing for the Steelers franchise and totally unfair to Bell and any other RB in his situation.

He is well worth the tag money on a year-by-year basis, but especially given his out of this world utilization, it's bad business to actually give him the long-term deal when trends point to a very sharp decline potentially early on in that deal.

I was hoping he got paid. If I were Bell, I definitely would have taken 5 yr, $70M.

I hope he leaves that team after next year. Hell, I'd be ecstatic if we got him if Collins turns out to be a flash-in-the-pan type of deal.

A toxic environment just got worse, this steeler team is trending down and has been for a while. They aren't going to make the playoffs. I don't think it will shock some of their fans either. That defense is a horror fest with absolutely nothing in the pipeline, and now bell will be as half in half out as fatso is for them. Ravens will be 1st in the division 100%. The Bengals and Browns both have enough on defense now to give the steelers fits too, it will be a race with them.