Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

6 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I believe so.  It may be referring specifically to run defenses, or defenses for that matter, rather than teams overall (albeit not super clear on that point).

It's almost like if you just straight up look at our SoS last year vs. this year that might be the conclusion you get. But if you examine who we played last year, particularly at QB, it's a much different picture.

20 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

It's almost like if you just straight up look at our SoS last year vs. this year that might be the conclusion you get. But if you examine who we played last year, particularly at QB, it's a much different picture.

That's certainly possible.  I agree with your overall point, but I will say that such an exercise is only really valuable if you acknowledge that (1) other teams get the benefit of playing injured teams as well (the Ravens have had worse-than-average injury luck as a team at that) and (2) rosters will get injured this year too.  The Ravens certainly played more than their share of 2nd string QBs, but they also had some "bad luck" in other manners as well.  Overall I think our schedule does look more difficult this year, but I think some of the "dinging" of last year's performance for various reasons is a bit overblown.

Just now, sp6488 said:

That's certainly possible.  I agree with your overall point, but I will say that such an exercise is only really valuable if you acknowledge that (1) other teams get the benefit of playing injured teams as well (the Ravens have had worse-than-average injury luck as a team at that) and (2) rosters will get injured this year too.  The Ravens certainly played more than their share of 2nd string QBs, but they also had some "bad luck" in other manners as well.  Overall I think our schedule does look more difficult this year, but I think some of the "dinging" of last year's performance for various reasons is a bit overblown.

I disagree. Last year we faced so many backup QB's. I've never seen it before. And when you evaluate how our team performed when it comes to the DVOA of teams we faced, almost every team in the top 10 of DVOA we lost to (I can't remember who the outlier was - I think Oakland?). Either way, I don't think it was overblown. We faced a cupcake schedule and got our ***** handed to us by every decent we faced, pretty much.

3 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

I disagree. Last year we faced so many backup QB's. I've never seen it before. And when you evaluate how our team performed when it comes to the DVOA of teams we faced, almost every team in the top 10 of DVOA we lost to (I can't remember who the outlier was - I think Oakland?). Either way, I don't think it was overblown. We faced a cupcake schedule and got our ***** handed to us by every decent we faced, pretty much.

That's a sort of tricky position to support.  The only times we lost by more than one score (thus "***** handed to us") were the games against Jax and Pitt in weeks 3 and 4 (not-so-coincidentally the first two games we were without Williams).  All five other losses were by one score.  We were 9th in the league in scoring and 6th in scoring defense (8th best point differential; teams 1-7 all made the playoffs).  The team was certainly flawed, and there are reasons to say they got lucky, but this notion that they achieved a 9-7 record by the skin of their teeth and that they're clearly bound for some massive regression is a bit of an exaggeration.  

Caught this on the Raven's twitter-

Chris Moore's alma mater showing him some love.

Chris Moore is slowly becoming a key figure on the team. You can tell he's really putting in the work, and looks like he's going to become the first mid round WR we've drafted and then actually developed into a capable starter. It won't be this season, but I can see him replacing Brown next year on the 1st team. Not to mention his amazing ST ability and nose for the ball. Props to the FO for locating one of the top WRs in that class and props to Moore for putting in the work, we should be proud of both. This year he could be that Jacoby Jones spark player for the offense and STs, which would be amazing.

Here's a little flashback to Chris Moore in college. Burning NFL corners Eli Apple and current division rival, the rapidly rising, William Jackson III-

15 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Sarah Ellison is leaving the Ravens, she announced on Twitter.

I really liked her "Man of the crown" series. Overall, I would like our media team on the Ravens to be much less purple aid drunk all the time. The Eisenberg guy does a good job I think, but the Mink/Downing team is a bit too silly/goofy for my taste. Maybe they can change that up a bit if they have to find a replacement to Sarah Ellison.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Danand said:

I really liked her "Man of the crown" series. Overall, I would like our media team on the Ravens to be much less purple aid drunk all the time. The Eisenberg guy does a good job I think, but the Mink/Downing team is a bit too silly/goofy for my taste. Maybe they can change that up a bit if they have to find a replacement to Sarah Ellison.

They need to get better social media presences - that's really what we suck at. That, and being overt homers.

9 minutes ago, Danand said:

Maybe they can change that up a bit if they have to find a replacement to Sarah Ellison.

It would be nice to have someone with actual knowledge of the game technically. Maybe a former player. They could break down some X and O stuff on games the week before, get more into the draft etc. Many teams have that sort of presence now.

Best wishes to Sarah, she's a patriot(the good kind lol). 4 healthy children raised by good parents is always a gift to the future. So thanks to her for that and for providing content on a team we all care about.

Honestly I never minded Sarah, I found her more tolerable as a person than Mink and Downing. The content was annoying at times though. When you know you're being fed BS like "Peanut is playing really well",  that stuff can wear on you. 

In fairness the fan base has been awful lately. With a huge chunk of the original fans gone with Ray Lewis into retirement, and the new fans who hopped on the train when we were pushing for SBs every year pissed off they no longer have a "unique contender" to prop. Things have gotten overly negative. Pessimistic thoughts and ignorant critiques touched up with dull wit are routinely tossed around the fandom. It's a sort of currency for the fans who want to feel "unplugged" or "red pill", it's cringey and pathetic. I think the Raven's media team was overbearing with their fluff as a counter to all that.

One thing that's really been annoying lately is it seems like we're one of the few teams to not allow any TC filming. Which I can understand, but at the same time it's annoying when they then don't up the content they provide. It's like, thanks for the clip of Lamar throwing one pass but can we get a little more... we're starving.

7 hours ago, DreamKid said:

It would be nice to have someone with actual knowledge of the game technically. Maybe a former player. They could break down some X and O stuff on games the week before, get more into the draft etc. Many teams have that sort of presence now.

Best wishes to Sarah, she's a patriot(the good kind lol). 4 healthy children raised by good parents is always a gift to the future. So thanks to her for that and for providing content on a team we all care about.

Honestly I never minded Sarah, I found her more tolerable as a person than Mink and Downing. The content was annoying at times though. When you know you're being fed BS like "Peanut is playing really well",  that stuff can wear on you. 

In fairness the fan base has been awful lately. With a huge chunk of the original fans gone with Ray Lewis into retirement, and the new fans who hopped on the train when we were pushing for SBs every year pissed off they no longer have a "unique contender" to prop. Things have gotten overly negative. Pessimistic thoughts and ignorant critiques touched up with dull wit are routinely tossed around the fandom. It's a sort of currency for the fans who want to feel "unplugged" or "red pill", it's cringey and pathetic. I think the Raven's media team was overbearing with their fluff as a counter to all that.

One thing that's really been annoying lately is it seems like we're one of the few teams to not allow any TC filming. Which I can understand, but at the same time it's annoying when they then don't up the content they provide. It's like, thanks for the clip of Lamar throwing one pass but can we get a little more... we're starving.

I highly suggest you stop by our subreddit section then - it's nothing but blatant homerism and any criticism of any kind is immediately downvoted into oblivion. Although I really don't understand the critique about fans being pessimistic or negative - our team has been completely irrelevant since 2013 and has made the playoffs one time since winning the Superbowl, and has suffered back-to-back season ending losses keeping us out of the playoffs. All of that while the team has routinely failed to draft well and do anything to get the fans excited about the team until this year. I think everyone just wants the team to be successful again and people are upset at the moves we've made over the past years and the results those moves have culminated in.

being a fan does not equal stubborn acceptance of nuisance and wearing purple glasses on every aspect regarding the Ravens. to me it actually shows someone cares for their team when they do criticise but to each his own. the most laughable though are guys actually putting themselves above others for being fans longer than someone else. great achievement. that does not make anybody a greater fan than the next guy. that is so trumpish-american from my personal perspective it is actually quite funny. i guess fan culture in Europe - soccer related - is just a very different kind of beast.