Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Crabtree I see letting walk and same for Snead too. But John Brown is worth keeping if he keeps up this pace.

Crabtree and Snead are on multi year deals. 

Brown wisely bet on himself. Obviously I think we need to keep him, but he's not going to be cheap at all if he can stay healthy this year.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Crabtree and Snead are on multi year deals. 

Brown wisely bet on himself. Obviously I think we need to keep him, but he's not going to be cheap at all if he can stay healthy this year.

Agreed. If he keeps up this pace and Joe continues to trust him as his top receiver, it would be a relative steal if we can retain him for like 3 years/~$40M.

4 minutes ago, drd23 said:

That's just confirmation bias.  If elite route running in college guaranteed translation to early NFL success (as that tweet implies) then Corey Davis and Rashad Higgins would have done a lot more in their careers to date

The play speed bit is more important, and what those of us in the for camp brought up every time. He runs great routes, but the ability to actually separate while doing so is what sets him apart from other profiled in a similar manner.

Not sure what's up with Davis though. He's been nicked up now and then and it doesn't help that the same goes for Mariota, but underwhelming is a good description of his short career thus far.

Corey Davis has played well when Mariota has been healthy and playing well, which has been just about never. Right now he's got a concussed Blaine Gabbert throwing him passes, so I mean there's that.

But Calvin Ridley was about as solid of a prospect as you could ask for. Almost too safe. The Falcons getting him when they did is just unfair when they already have Julio.

Ridley landed in the perfect situation on a roster, when he can use the space created from both backs and Julio Jones. The things that made him drop are still there, 24/25 years old, smaller than some would like, etc.

He looked good one week and I expect him to build on that, but so far I don't mind us passing on him.

The only player that makes me really sad when I watch them play is Derwin James he is something special. Even if Hurst plays well I’m still going to be mad especially with Andrews flashing. Though if Lamar Jackson becomes our future franchise quarterback all will be forgiven

• Like 1

After 3 weeks it seems pretty clear, that the past couple of years version of Flacco was the injured one. This year I feel we got a pretty good view of the baseline for Flacco = good/great when given the time in the pocket (Bills/Broncos) and the very average and frustrating version in the Bengals game.

If we can build on the current play on offense by adding a Hayden Hurst, Mark Andrews and Chris Moore as well as getting the run game going I feel we have a decent shot at the playoffs even with a tough schedule.

What’s great is that Mark Andrews is having the success he is as a pass catching tight end and he’s only 22 years old (barely). Also Hurst is an immediate impact TE talent as well based off of the preseason. We should have two pro bowl caliber TE talents. They can also sub in and out to keep them fresh and reduce the chance of injury (when at full strength).

I definitely think that means the priority of next draft/off-season is to build up the offensive line. We’ve got the developing talent (Lasley/Scott) and the veteran talent  (Crabtree/Snead/Moore) to buy us time. Maybe we could target a deep threat in the draft, but hopefully this will be a solid crop of OL prospects similar to this past class.

1 hour ago, Danand said:

After 3 weeks it seems pretty clear, that the past couple of years version of Flacco was the injured one. This year I feel we got a pretty good view of the baseline for Flacco = good/great when given the time in the pocket (Bills/Broncos) and the very average and frustrating version in the Bengals game.

If we can build on the current play on offense by adding a Hayden Hurst, Mark Andrews and Chris Moore as well as getting the run game going I feel we have a decent shot at the playoffs even with a tough schedule.

20 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

What’s great is that Mark Andrews is having the success he is as a pass catching tight end and he’s only 22 years old (barely). Also Hurst is an immediate impact TE talent as well based off of the preseason. We should have two pro bowl caliber TE talents. They can also sub in and out to keep them fresh and reduce the chance of injury (when at full strength).

I definitely think that means the priority of next draft/off-season is to build up the offensive line. We’ve got the developing talent (Lasley/Scott) and the veteran talent  (Crabtree/Snead/Moore) to buy us time. Maybe we could target a deep threat in the draft, but hopefully this will be a solid crop of OL prospects similar to this past class.

Bingo, especially after reading Danand's post above and just watching what we've seen so far this year. When Flacco has time AND IS CONFIDENT IN THE POCKET, he makes great throws. I think the best example is the John Brown 44 yard throw. Flacco does a PA fake and steps into his effortless throw down the sideline to perfectly place it in Brown's hands. Old Flacco throws that off his back foot and probably sails it. The OL has to be priority #1 next year.

• Like 1