3. Nick Boyle  Grade: 60.1 Rank: #38  -Classification: Above Average

4. Hayden Hurst  Grade: 56.0 Rank: U/R  -Classification: Average   

HB

1. Buck Allen  Grade: 64.8 Rank: #42  -Classification: Above Average 

2. Alex Collins  Grade: 62.3 Rank: #46  -Classification: Above Average

QB

1. Joe Flacco  Grade: 72.0 Rank: #21  -Classification: Good

2. Lamar Jackson  Grade: 63.1 Rank: U/R  -Classification: Above Average

While I hate the PFF statistics, I actually feel this is not misleading in a broader view. I am slightly surprised to see both Tavon Young and Anthony Levine ranked as they are, as I feel they have been some of the strongest contributors on the team. 

This also confirms what I have been saying numerous times, that we are a team with a high floor. We have none graded below average, but also quite few good/elite players. This means we will be able to hang and play up to the level of most teams, but also lose to the better teams while we win (inside the division) and against teams with inferior talent.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, drd23 said:

The only grades I'm surprised by there Urban and Stanley being listed as "good".  Everything else basically roughly matches how I feel our team has performed

Ronnie Stanley has come on a bit lately. Which made losing him to injury that much worse. For Urban, PFF's system favors run stoppers and Urban adds that little extra against the pass + in pursuit to come out ahead of Brandon Williams.

I've noticed they're very lenient with Centers. I remember being shocked at how high Zuttah's grade was a couple years ago. Just like Skura, he would get pushed back into Flacco quite frequently. They must not score those events as full pressures. Which they should because it's the most common form of disruption from the position. 

Their Off-Ball LB grades have always been off to me too, and Kenny Young got hit hard this week. His grade went down like 10+ because of the james conner TD where he got the rub from vance mcdonald, and then the RedZone catch by Conner that set up the brown TD. 

18 minutes ago, Danand said:

I am slightly surprised to see both Tavon Young and Anthony Levine ranked as they are, as I feel they have been some of the strongest contributors on the team. 

Plays on the ball significantly effect PFF's grade on DBs, which actually shows how impressive our CBs have been. We've played a lot of Man Coverage and have forced QBs to not throw to their receivers at all. Yet they still have high grades. Last season Marlon had a much higher grade because QBs kept trying to test him and he racked up PBUs. Also, Tavon is still working his grade back up after the Bengals game where everything that could go wrong kind of did. 

I don't know what happened with Levine. I know he's played less snaps these last couple weeks but not long ago he was the highest graded player on our Defense right behind Pierce.

Our CBs are savages, teams are forced to either scheme us up and get a WR on a LB. Or rely on their TEs and HBs to carry the Passing game. Which is why we need our Linebackers and Pass Rush to step up. 

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Plays on the ball significantly effect PFF's grade on DBs, which actually shows how impressive our CBs have been. We've played a lot of Man Coverage and have forced QBs to not throw to their receivers at all. Yet they still have high grades. Last season Marlon had a much higher grade because QBs kept trying to test him and he racked up PBUs. Also, Tavon is still working his grade back up after the Bengals game where everything that could go wrong kind of did. 

I don't know what happened with Levine. I know he's played less snaps these last couple weeks but not long ago he was the highest graded player on our Defense right behind Pierce.

Our CBs are savages, teams are forced to either scheme us up and get a WR on a LB. Or rely on their TEs and HBs to carry the Passing game. Which is why we need our Linebackers and Pass Rush to step up. 

I hope I can get Brian Baldinger to highlight how to defend rub routes like the Steelers had succes with against us. He does a pretty good job at choosing great examples when he breaks down plays (although the video quality is bad)

8 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Who else likes the idea of Baltimore signing Le'Veon Bell in March? Not sure what the price tag will be but boy would he really fit what the team needs at running back. A whole season off (probably at this point) actually makes me feel better about dumping money on a back.

again, runningbacks can't do much if the blocking isn't there. We would have to put out a contract that could secure us 1-2 really good to elite linemen.

3 hours ago, Danand said:

I hope I can get Brian Baldinger to highlight how to defend rub routes like the Steelers had succes with against us. He does a pretty good job at choosing great examples when he breaks down plays (although the video quality is bad)

We don't know how to run pick plays on offense, and we don't know how to defend them on defense. It's the double bonus of bad coaching.

And those PFF grades actually seem pretty on, sans a couple of exceptions. But notice how we only have one elite grade and it's our NT who plays like 25% of the snaps, and everyone else is either "good" or "above average". Just lends more credibility to the idea that we need superstars instead of just good players.

EDIT: Also, our two worst graded OLB's are the guys getting the most snaps. Go figure.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

9 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Were any of those players Le'Veon Bell?

Unless James Conner suddenly become a top prospect, his success could be a combination of both talent but also great circumstances with the Steelers. Not sure Bell would do much with us as we are build atm.