Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

Why give Moore targets when you can force throws to Crabtree because he has "great" hands" and can't separate? Makes no sense I tell you.

Yes, it is pretty bad how underutilized Chris has been. It's overshadowed because of the success of Brown and Snead along with the general frowning upon Crabtree thrown in. Getting all of the tight ends involved hurts his share too. Baltimore has too many generally decent options offensively. Not enough room for everybody, and there's a lot of blandness to the players where they don't separate themselves enough to force Marty to change things up. I think Moore could but he just isn't given the opportunity. The team is happy to relegate him to special teams.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Why give Moore targets when you can force throws to Crabtree because he has "great" hands" and can't separate? Makes no sense I tell you.

Yes, it is pretty bad how underutilized Chris has been. It's overshadowed because of the success of Brown and Snead along with the general frowning upon Crabtree thrown in. Getting all of the tight ends involved hurts his share too. Baltimore has too many generally decent options offensively. Not enough room for everybody, and there's a lot of blandness to the players where they don't separate themselves enough to force Marty to change things up. I think Moore could but he just isn't given the opportunity. The team is happy to relegate him to special teams.

Moreover, why give Moore targets when we can force feed Buck Allen and Nick Boyle?

I believe I mentioned it earlier in the season, that I would like Chris Moore to be more involved with the offense, especially as he can also stretch the field which would leave more room underneath for John Brown to exploit as well as our tight ends. Basically get more speed on the field than we have had the last couple of seasons. I often feel Flacco somehow got misunderstood during those years where we had Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones who could catch those 50-60 yards bombs or the get PI to move us into the red zone. Media and fans labeled Flacco from dump off king to ray rice to deep bomber, while where he was best was those 3-5 step drops and hitting receivers from 12-18 yards down the field.

But we need speedier guys to make room for those routes where especially the veterans and tight ends operate.

• Like 1

We won another nail biter. We won with our backup rookie QB, who delivered a great performance for a rookie but we didn't win in a sustainable way. We once again missed chances in the redzone, made costly penalties both prior to the snap and by stupid holding/pass inteferences.

Once again our defense didn't manage to force a turnover and the Bengals capitalized on the single turnover we gave them.

At 5-5 we are still in the wild card hunt along with the Bengals, Dolphins, Colts and Titans. All wins are so key right now. The team that get hot at the right time is the one that get into the playoffs. That could be us, but we have to eliminate the mistakes and make more plays to close the games.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Danand said:

We won another nail biter.

Another? When was the last time we won a nail biter? Not a rhetorical question. It's been more than a year...

I'd say the December game against the Eagles in 2016 was the last nail-biter, where the opposing team had a chance to win it late against us and it didn't happen.

Edited by wackywabbit

12 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

When Lamar is actually our starter for good, how many designed runs do you want to see from him a game? We all know 24 rushes is unsustainable. I was thinking anywhere around 7-10 with most coming around the goal line.

Yeah I think that sounds about right. I think the way the Bears use Trubisky is a solid model, with maybe a little more running in there. 

More than the # of runs the thing the coaches desperately need to work on with Lamar is getting it through his head that he needs to slide in certain situations. There were a lot of plays yesterday where he was taking completely avoidable hits. 

1 hour ago, M.10.E said:

When Lamar is actually our starter for good, how many designed runs do you want to see from him a game? We all know 24 rushes is unsustainable. I was thinking anywhere around 7-10 with most coming around the goal line.

10-15. Jackson's speed and running ability are what make him unique. I'd rather not have the team downplay it. Especially when he's so effective with it. The more Lamar runs, the more defenses are going to have to gamble on playing contain which will make things easier for him down-field. Or simply over the middle, where he already made some nice things happen yesterday. I could watch that clip of all his throws and runs all day long.

• Like 1

Yea, I pay no mind to this QB protectionism story. He's a football player. Let him use his talents. The only thing he needs to adjust is protecting himself at the end of these runs. But, we have running backs running into walls of 300+ pounders 20 times a game. Jackson's runs shouldn't have nearly as much contact even on the same carries.

13 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Yea, I pay no mind to this QB protectionism story. He's a football player. Let him use his talents. The only thing he needs to adjust is protecting himself at the end of these runs. But, we have running backs running into walls of 300+ pounders 20 times a game. Jackson's runs shouldn't have nearly as much contact even on the same carries.

Agreed here. I don't believe in putting him on a pitch count for the sake of putting him on a pitch count. If he's getting down and protecting himself and not taking big hits, let him run it 20 times a game, I don't care. However, if he's gonna take hit after hit after hit like he did yesterday, he's not going to last very long.

Yup. It also depends on the team. If we’re going up against An aggressive defense that’s out to hurt people (like Kirkpatrick) but are actually good, than I’d rather not risk it.

I will say that I thought as the game progressed, coming out of the second half, Lamar did a much better job of avoiding contact by getting out of bounds and by falling forwards before defenders get there.

The out of bounds run that people got their panties in a bunch over late in the 4th was likely him looking to avoid contact, but forgetting that stage of the game.

7 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

There were a lot of plays yesterday where he was taking completely avoidable hits. 

Were there really?  I thought he did a pretty good job or running OOB untouched throughout the day and that there were really only a handful of times were he took on completely unnecessary contact.

As for the question on number of designed runs, I'd agree with c0 on 10-15 per game.

• Like 1

This idea that Jackson shouldn't be running the ball is insane. Should we also have kept Ed Reed in the box? 

I was laughing so hard when Deion Sanders said "It's not right to do that to him as a human being", referencing us having Lamar run. 

That man is so F'n stupid lol.