Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

2 hours ago, berlin calling said:

good riddance Joe. pls do not retire and accept a trade.

That’s harsh he won us a Super Bowl and I do mean won us with out his playoff run we weren’t getting a ring. Sure it didn’t end on the highest note but there should be appreciation 

• Like 1

This Orlando Brown Jr. thing is going to fly under the radar. Unless it's QB related, rarely do situations like this get attention but this one needs to. 

There was no reason to start Hurst at RT. Nothing pointed to that option as the best/most prudent move and yet it was made. Brown excelled against Dunlap in Bengals 2 and could've been the tipping point in a close game against the Browns. 

It's odd that American Football is such a huge sport but coaches aren't confronted/criticized over decisions like these more often. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DreamKid said:

This Orlando Brown Jr. thing is going to fly under the radar. Unless it's QB related, rarely do situations like this get attention but this one needs to. 

There was no reason to start Hurst at RT. Nothing pointed to that option as the best/most prudent move and yet it was made. Brown excelled against Dunlap in Bengals 2 and could've been the tipping point in a close game against the Browns. 

It's odd that American Football is such a huge sport but coaches aren't confronted/criticized over decisions like these more often. 

Much like the late season shuffle to our line in the SB, it’s really hard to know what’s going on behind the scenes. Perhaps he had too many mental errors. Perhaps he wouldn’t be playing as well if he wasn’t pushed to earn that spot. Impossible to know as there’s no testable counterfactual. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Much like the late season shuffle to our line in the SB, it’s really hard to know what’s going on behind the scenes. Perhaps he had too many mental errors. Perhaps he wouldn’t be playing as well if he wasn’t pushed to earn that spot. Impossible to know as there’s no testable counterfactual. 

This is exactly what I was thinking but better stated. Brown coming into the draft had in the past had issues with keeping his weight down. We definitely didn’t want to run into a Bryant McKinnie situation where the guy is a stud but doesn’t train hard and so making him “earn” the starting job definitely isn’t something that I’m against. Especially since the OL is definitely getting into a groove now.

18 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I find it hard to believe Steve B. could have the ability to overrule Decosta or Ozzie on who to pick. Then again, I find it even harder to believe that Ozzie and DeCosta passed up on the next great S for...Hayden Hurst.

They did it for draft capital. For both better and worse, Decosta is a draft capital guy.

I remember reading how Steve called him a "pick who__" for sliding down the board even though they really needed to get Flacco.

And let's not simplify it to Hurst vs James. They made it clear James was higher on the board. We got about 4-5 net lottery tickets out of sliding down in the first. Mark Andrew's, Kenny Young, Bozeman and more completely materialized out of the trade down.

Yea, I'd still rather have James at the time and now. But the choice was never James v Hurst.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

Curious of others opinions on this subject. 

Weddle play has left a lot to be desired this year. Chances are he's headed towards being a cap casualty. Who's his replacement? 

Enter Earl Thomas. He was injured, yes. He is one of the best safeties in football and he is a free agent. I feel if you insert him after cutting Weddle, it's a match made in heaven and could be the true leader of that back end. 

Not sure what price he'll command after the injury but he will be paid well. What does everyone else think. He definitely fits the Ravens mentality. 

4 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Curious of others opinions on this subject. 

Weddle play has left a lot to be desired this year. Chances are he's headed towards being a cap casualty. Who's his replacement? 

Enter Earl Thomas. He was injured, yes. He is one of the best safeties in football and he is a free agent. I feel if you insert him after cutting Weddle, it's a match made in heaven and could be the true leader of that back end. 

Not sure what price he'll command after the injury but he will be paid well. What does everyone else think. He definitely fits the Ravens mentality. 

It’s definitely an interesting idea. I’ve thought about it myself, but I also don’t know what kind of leadership temperament to expect from Earl Thomas after his middle finger incident. Seemed out of character, but it does make me wonder. Is he still driven to win a Super Bowl or will he mainly be looking to make as much money as possible, ie will he come hungry?

We’ve had great success with bringing in veteran defensive backs and them finding success. All in all, I’m definitely leaning on the side of Earl Thomas vs not targeting him. But if he’s not hungry, I’d rather just role with Chuck Clark and Deshon Elliot/Anthony Levine as our starting safeties and draft a mid round option to insert within the competition for the starting role.

I think I tweeted it to Ken McKusick, but the coaching staff really has to make up their mind whether Weddles strengths as a playcaller and his ability to disguise coverages is of more value than his deficiencies in coverage and as a playmaker/tackler. His interceptions has dropped significantly in a year where we don't face 2. and 3. string quarterbacks and his shoddy tackling and lack of speed costs us on a lot of conversions. 

The infamous 3 and 19 and 4 and 9 he unfortunately is the big villain with first a bad tackle and then the inability to cover anything but grass as well as he wasn't able to make a YAC tackle on Hill.

I like him as a vocal leader and the player he is on the field, but his on field play is not very good, 

With a chargers win they clinched a playoff spot and therefor won't have to play week 16 with their backs against the wall. They have however a chance to get a bye week and homefield advantage in the playoffs but I don't think that is as important from a psychological standpoint. Highly speculative, I know, but it might play a little in our advantage if we are in the hunt for a playoff spot next week and the Chargers are certain and might already rest players/keep injured stars off the field.

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

I think it's wishful thinking to believe that the Chargers won't try against us when they need to keep winning to potentially win their division. They aren't going to go easy on us just because they've guaranteed a 5th seed at worst

Those who play, including Rivers, will play full speed and play to win. But if I know as a coach, that I have a spot in the playoff and one of my playmakers have a sore groin, a small fracture, a high ankle sprain I can see why the Chargers would rest those players. That could provide us with an advantage.

• Like 1

Another week with a wishlist for the watchlist of teams that we would like to see lose to help our playoff aspirations.

Browns @ Broncos

Just give me a Broncos win here. We don’t want to face a Browns team in week 17 with a playoff berth on the line. We hold the tie breaker against the Broncos anyway and if they win out and go 9-7 we should have the advantage.

Cowboys @ Colts

Cowboys all the way. It will cost me my fantasy team if Luck and Hilton is suffocated like they were against the Jaguars, but I am willing to make that sacrifice for the greater good.

Dolololphins @ Vikings

Vikings despite their poor performance this year should be able to win against a Dolphins team which have 1 victory outside of Florida.

Titans @ Giants

Go Saquon!

Patriots @ Stoolers

Oh boy this could be exciting. Baring a Ravens win, a Patriots victory would really put pressure on the Steelers and could also provide a spark to the Ravens. Even if the Ravens lose, this is the game to keep and eye for and also do the unspeakable thing (root for the Patriots, shady Brady and Bill Belicheat)

8 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

It’s definitely an interesting idea. I’ve thought about it myself, but I also don’t know what kind of leadership temperament to expect from Earl Thomas after his middle finger incident. Seemed out of character, but it does make me wonder. Is he still driven to win a Super Bowl or will he mainly be looking to make as much money as possible, ie will he come hungry?

We’ve had great success with bringing in veteran defensive backs and them finding success. All in all, I’m definitely leaning on the side of Earl Thomas vs not targeting him. But if he’s not hungry, I’d rather just role with Chuck Clark and Deshon Elliot/Anthony Levine as our starting safeties and draft a mid round option to insert within the competition for the starting role.

Earl Thomas would be a fantastic land for this secondary. The reason the middle finger thing happened is that he spent all offseason wanting an extension and didn't get it - then he came back from his holdout, balled out, and got injured. He felt scorned by management and that was how he took it out.

But all in all Earl Thomas is still Earl Thomas, but I don't think we would be able to convince him to come here. He wants to play for the Cowboys.