Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

7 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

True. In retrospect it’s probably good that we didn’t sign him. No way could I see Dez Bryant standing idly by while his target shares decrease to extremely low levels. Both Snead and Crabtree have been quite gracious in accepting roles as blockers that see only a few targets a game.

Chemistry stand point. You’re probably right. But I have no doubt strictly in terms of play he would’ve been better than Crabtree. Thinking about how awful Crabtree is and how we might not win the super bowl because of him is what made me think about Dez in the first place. But no. Dez would probably not work with what we’re doing now 

a look ahead can never hurt, next seasons schedule:

home games
Pats, Jets, Cards, 49ers, Texans + AFCN

away games
Bills, Dolphins, Rams, Seahawks, Chiefs +AFCN

i like that. hopefully they have 2 of the west coast games in following weeks so they can just stay there but as we all know the NFL likes to bend them Ravens over... would not want it any other way. this team has proven it can overcome diversity (finally)

Lamar has played up to expectations this year and maybe slightly above. Had our receivers been able to catch the ball like the Browns receivers did against us, Lamar would look better as well. I doubt his potential is maxed out and at the very least he will be able to make smarter decisions to take less hits. With Flacco on the team it made all the sense to sit him and let him learn, and when the new offense proved it could be a winning formular it made sense to let him start when Flacco returned from injury. I don't see a reason to overthink the situation or overanalyze his perfomance this year.

We got what most thought we would get, a QB who can pass the ball but has some clear defenciensies and accuracy problems and would have to move the ball with his legs to be succesful.

4 hours ago, Danand said:

Lamar has played up to expectations this year and maybe slightly above. Had our receivers been able to catch the ball like the Browns receivers did against us, Lamar would look better as well. I doubt his potential is maxed out and at the very least he will be able to make smarter decisions to take less hits. With Flacco on the team it made all the sense to sit him and let him learn, and when the new offense proved it could be a winning formular it made sense to let him start when Flacco returned from injury. I don't see a reason to overthink the situation or overanalyze his perfomance this year.

We got what most thought we would get, a QB who can pass the ball but has some clear defenciensies and accuracy problems and would have to move the ball with his legs to be succesful.

Considering that he’s the youngest QB to ever start a playoff game, I don’t think this position is too crazy. 

My favorite thing is how the narrative keeps shifting on Lamar Jackson as haters continue to prey on his downfall.

First it was, this guy is so inaccurate that he will never be able to play QB, he needs to switch to a WR where his electric play can better be utilized.

Then it switched to, well he’s got a shot at QB but you’re going to have to completely build an offense around him to succeed, but he’ll have to sit 2-3 years because his accuracy is so bad that he’s just not ready to play at the NFL level.

Then he starts and has easily the best rookie QB record at 6-1 and leads an historically dominant rushing attack in the process and in the middle of all of that it was, “well he’s electric but he runs too much, he takes too many hits, this running game isn’t sustainable, he’s played the worst defenses in the league, wait until he faces a real run defense like the Chargers they will shut him down, the Browns are a divisional rival and Gregg Williams has seen this offense before... he knows EXACTLY how to stop it.”

And now we’re at present day. We’re now hearing that because the Chargers have seen this rushing attack before, it’s doomed to fail. And while I definitely don’t like them as a matchup, I also understand that the amount of looks that this offense shows a defense means that even if they contain it, suddenly one bad read could mean Lamar Jackson rips off a 40 yard gain and suddenly the defense begins to lose faith in each other handling their gap responsibilities. Or someone believes they see Jackson keep the football only to realize that Gus Edwards has just broken a 25 yard run up the middle. Or Lamar Jackson simply does the unthinkable and beats you with his arm... because you don’t respect it.

I will be honest, if we win a Championship with this team, I think it just might be equally special to “The Last Ride” (which I never thought I’d say) simply because this is the best TEAM we’ve put forth (from top to bottom) and no one WANTS to see Lamar Jackson succeed as an NFL quarterback. Like not simply doubt that he’s a top 15 QB like they did with Flacco. No, they literally find every thing they can find to tear him down. He rushes for 120 rushing yards to lead the team to victory, he’s going to get hurt. He passes for his first 200 yard game, well if you remove the chunk play his passing stats don’t look nearly as good. I never thought I’d see an underdog story match a Joe Flacco- D1AA QB taken in the first round without that fire and “moxy” putting the team on his back and galvanizing us to a SB victory, but Lamar Jackson and the amount of consistent hate he receives seems to rival Contract Flacco levels. So in the end...full.jpg

3 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Considering that he’s the youngest QB to ever start a playoff game, I don’t think this position is too crazy. 

Well my comment was in opposition to the Tweet regarding those who believe Lamar is a finished product

18 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Yep... Everyone was saying that he needs to sit on the bench and wouldn't be ready to play for 2+ years. Same crowd has him max'd out 7 starts in.

Absolutely. Look at the leaps that guys like Goff and Trubisky made from Years 1 to 2. Lamar hasn't even had a full offseason to train/develop, we haven't fully fleshed out the supporting cast around him, and the coaches haven't had a full season to really build out the scheme to get the most out of him either - they've done an admirable job adjusting on the fly this season but the truth is that things are mostly working because we're doing simple things in the running game really well. 

There's so much more to come from this guy. I'm stoked.