Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

20 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Yep... Everyone was saying that he needs to sit on the bench and wouldn't be ready to play for 2+ years. Same crowd has him max'd out 7 starts in.

FWIW I was in the ride the bench for two years camp, but am excited by what he’s done so far and excited/hopeful that he will make great strides given an NFL offseason. 

6 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

FWIW I was in the ride the bench for two years camp, but am excited by what he’s done so far and excited/hopeful that he will make great strides given an NFL offseason. 

Same here. Lamar came in to the best situation of any of the rookie QB's except Baker and it's already paying dividends for him. 

Even those of us that were very high on him as a prospect thought a good year on the bench watching and developing was the best bet. Nope. Lamar disproved that immediately after starting. The 9 games (+ bye) playing, but not starting, seems like it was enough to get things rolling for him.

Win or lose, every play he has the ball in his hands the potential for an exciting play is tremendous. Makes for a fun game to watch.

2 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Even those of us that were very high on him as a prospect thought a good year on the bench watching and developing was the best bet. Nope. Lamar disproved that immediately after starting.

I'm not sure that's entirely true.  I can't speak for others that also thought it best that Lamar sit for a year, but I said that because I felt he needed to work on the consistency of accuracy of his throws, particularly the short and intermediate ones, and his performances this year have shown that is still his major problem.

He has shown a better than expected ability to read defences and go through progressions though, and I was one that said that he was already doing some of that stuff in college.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I'm not sure that's entirely true.  I can't speak for others that also thought it best that Lamar sit for a year, but I said that because I felt he needed to work on the consistency of accuracy of his throws, particularly the short and intermediate ones, and his performances this year have shown that is still his major problem.

He has shown a better than expected ability to read defences and go through progressions though, and I was one that said that he was already doing some of that stuff in college.

The one thing that I will say is that each week Lamar’s accuracy seems to improve. It’s fair to say that some of the accuracy issues would’ve been corrected with more reps with his receivers. I think a lot of fans forget that while Baker, Darnold, Allen, and Rosen had some time early in the season (when games didn’t matter as much) to gather themselves (all while the media excused their poor accuracy and decision making), Jackson has had to make adjustments on the fly when games matter the most (lose and you’re out of the playoffs) and under a microscope.

Now most of it is definitely that Lamar’s elite trait isn’t his accuracy (that is Baker’s elite trait) but his mobility and durability. But the thing about Lamar’s elite trait is that it generally is the most seamless elite QB trait to translate to the next level for early success.

I too thought it would be best for Lamar to sit, but I was confident that he COULD have early success regardless of if he sat or not. Why? Because stopping his speed is easier said than done. I remember learning that when a prime (DPOTY form) Ray Lewis could not stop Mike Vick in the open field, thus how can one expect 99/100 NFL players to handle Jackson? I just wanted him to sit for a year because a) Flacco loyalty for one last ride with him and b) Because I knew Jackson would receive unjust criticism beyond the scope of what most other QBs face (convert to WR??? Like come on with that garbage) and wanted his talent level to make him more bullet proof against criticism. That maybe he could break through the glass ceiling.

2 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

The one thing that I will say is that each week Lamar’s accuracy seems to improve. It’s fair to say that some of the accuracy issues would’ve been corrected with more reps with his receivers.

Do you have any specific play to play examples of his improving accuracy? Like X from Game 1 compared to X from Game 3? You don't have to come with any GIFs or anything, I have the All-22. Just point some out to me and I'll take a look, because I'm not seeing a marketable change either way. His execution and control within the offense has certainly improved, but basically as a thrower he seems the same.

In the Charger game for example, he fired off some beauties to Mark Andrews & Crabtree. Then missed the mark on some routine throws, like the ball to Hayden. We've seen that kind of inconsistency from him in every game.

22 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

thus how can one expect 99/100 NFL players to handle Jackson?

Yea anyone saying Lamar's running wouldn't translate, would essentially be admitting they didn't watch his college tape (Which we know many haven't). He'd already played against Elite athletes on loaded teams, like Derwin James etc and done just fine. 

Fun Fact: Tyus Bowser forced an intentional grounding penalty out of LJ8 that resulted in a safety. I'm sure they had a laugh about that.

Haven't seen it on any media outlet, but to be fair I don't follow the NFL shows all that much, but the notion that Lamar basically was being told "here, we run with you as our QB on a team on a playoff run", and he never looked uncomfortable or insecure or somehow buried the team because of mistakes. He made plays both positive and negative, but he did not go out and throw away a game like some of the other rookie quarterbacks did. 

Its a tough argument to sell, but I'd say there is a difference between being Josh Rosen/Allen, Darnold and Mayfield who all played for teams with limited, low or no playoff expectations and who where allowed to make mistakes and take more risks as those mistakes wouldn't hurt the team as much, and then being Lamar Jackson who was put in a win and you're in scenario. That was 3 very tough games to end the season, Chiefs away, Chargers Away and Browns at home who gave everything they had to be the spoilers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Do you have any specific play to play examples of his improving accuracy? Like X from Game 1 compared to X from Game 3? You don't have to come with any GIFs or anything, I have the All-22. Just point some out to me and I'll take a look, because I'm not seeing a marketable change either way. His execution and control within the offense has certainly improved, but basically as a thrower he seems the same.

In the Charger game for example, he fired off some beauties to Mark Andrews & Crabtree. Then missed the mark on some routine throws, like the ball to Hayden. We've seen that kind of inconsistency from him in every game.

Yea anyone saying Lamar's running wouldn't translate, would essentially be admitting they didn't watch his college tape (Which we know many haven't). He'd already played against Elite athletes on loaded teams, like Derwin James etc and done just fine. 

Fun Fact: Tyus Bowser forced an intentional grounding penalty out of LJ8 that resulted in a safety. I'm sure they had a laugh about that.

I can try and find specific examples but this was mainly off of the eyeball test. As two examples, I remember that BRUTAL deep ball miss that he had to John Brown in one of his early starts that would’ve been a touchdown. Now compare that to his note Andrews reception against the Chargers where his ball placement was superb. He doesn’t make that completion in that first game, not even close.

Also I remember he had that intercepted pass on the scramble to the right where he breaks a defenders ankles only to throw a pick because he launches the ball too low. Against the Browns on a similar scramble drill where he breaks corner contain and launches a pass to Andrews along the right sideline in a similar spot as his interception earliernin the season. On the highlights you even see a Browns defender jumping up to reach for a tip IIRC, that was an excellently placed ball for a big time completion.

While his accuracy isn’t anywhere near Baker levels, what I’ve found is that on a game by game basis, he seems to make a few more difficult throws and his “inaccurate” throws seem to have gone from WTF WAS THAT, to wildly inaccurate, to now we’re at a stage of “ah... that receiver could’ve adjust to that ball to help him out.” The Ty Montgomery target where Ty should’ve noticed the balls trajectory (as it had enough air) for him to slow down and still have enough space to potentially accelerate and take that reception for a big gainer. Instead Lamar under threw him by a half a foot. One of the Willie Snead targets where he was able to get two hands on the ball but the placement wasn’t ideal or the Hayden Hurst ball where it was thrown low.

Those are all inaccurate throws but Mark Andrews probably goes low to get that Hurst reception, Snead could’ve made the adjustment, and Montgomery DEFINITELY should’ve made that adjustment.

So I’m encouraged because with even another month as opposed to 5-6 “aww- schucks” throws, he might be able to take it down to just 3-4 of them and increase his precision passes from 1-2 to 3-4.

Not sure if my game examples were described well enough, but if not I can try and find some clips when I’ve got some time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Not sure if my game examples were described well enough, but if not I can try and find some clips when I’ve got some time.

Nah it's alright. I was just curious if you had some "throws in stock" so to speak, that you were basing your analysis off of.  All of this will be more pertinent next year when we begin monitoring/tracking Lamar's progression season to season.