Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

At this stage I'm really hoping that BPA ends up being a RT, WR or C.

Any WR we draft needs to be more of a route running/possession type receiver with good hands, instead of the deep threat guys this FO seems to like to draft if they draft a WR in the first 4 or so rounds

I’d be fine with a deep threat too if they could actually catch the ball

3 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Of those guys, only OBJ was drafted in the first round. And Kirk has shown nowhere near the athleticism and leaping ability that OBJ did. So I still stand my my stance. 

I'm just saying you shouldn't discredit a guy because he's 5'11. I have no idea who Christian Kirk even is, I was just speaking about the thought of "we can't draft him because he's 5'11".

7 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Outside of the fact that he's barely 5'11'' and I'm not touching any receiver at that size with our first round pick, I just don't think he's all that good. He's basically living off the hype from the Arkansas game this year.  Exclude that outlier from his game logs and he's had a very pedestrian season at A&M.

Besides the side issue, which I think we pretty much established means nothing. (our big bodied wide receiver is the biggest bust in franchise history, the NFL's best receiver is 5'11)

I watched the Arkansas game, which might the reason I came off impressed then. If he has good hands, are durable, there are something to work with and I would be more comfortable with picking him than Ridley at this point.

In the end, coming closer to the draft, I will most likely swing more toward an oline like I always do.

16 minutes ago, Danand said:

Besides the side issue, which I think we pretty much established means nothing. (our big bodied wide receiver is the biggest bust in franchise history, the NFL's best receiver is 5'11)

I watched the Arkansas game, which might the reason I came off impressed then. If he has good hands, are durable, there are something to work with and I would be more comfortable with picking him than Ridley at this point.

In the end, coming closer to the draft, I will most likely swing more toward an oline like I always do.

Meh.. I wouldn’t say Perriman is the biggest bust in Ravens history. He sucks but still has an opportunity to put himself in a Paul Kruger mold with a good season next year. His bust has been mainly injury related until this season.

On the other note, anytime I see a 5’11 wide receiver that isn’t explosive hit runs great routes, I just think of Mark Clayton. Who wasn’t a “bust” but he wasn’t what you want out of a first round pick either. One could argue that a Mark Clayton can be more debilitating than a Perriman. At least with Perriman you know he’s not the guy and can move resources quickly. However with Clayton he plays well enough that you think he might be able to be the answer at #1 receiver but he never does. But because he’s a first round pick you want to give him every shot to.

In terms of what I’m hoping for in the draft. I’d say a dominant offensive thread. I’m down for best player available in general, but I would prefer an explosive offensive threat. Either an explosive running back in the Ray Rice mold that can be a premier receiving threat or a tight end that consistently gets open. Since we’re not going to be picking in the top 20 I doubt we’ll be doing anything more than reaching for a wide receiver talent. But usually the 20s range is a good spot for a top tier tight end, running back, or offensive lineman. I’m not too familiar with college players but that’s what I’d hope for. It’s not like any of those positions are too solidified on our roster anyway. We have decent options but not anyone you’d want to take Home to mama for the holidays.

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

has there been any info what kind of compensation is to be expected for Wagner? 3rd round pick would be great to maybe for once move up / back up into 1st round.

This is OverTheCap's comp pick cancellation chart, so apparently we should expect to get a 3rd and 7th round

sbsLHJO.png

9 hours ago, drd23 said:

This is OverTheCap's comp pick cancellation chart, so apparently we should expect to get a 3rd and 7th round

sbsLHJO.png

2.) Interesting observation by Russell Street Report’s Brian McFarland who points out that the ankle injury Detroit Lions right tackle Rick Wagner suffered against his former team Sunday could hurt the Ravens in the compensatory formula this offseason. The Ravens were in line to get an additional third-round pick for the loss of Wagner in free agency, but if he misses a significant chunk of time, that could result in the Ravens getting a later-round comp pick.

:/ might be a later round if wagner misses time

11 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

I'm just saying you shouldn't discredit a guy because he's 5'11. I have no idea who Christian Kirk even is, I was just speaking about the thought of "we can't draft him because he's 5'11".

I'm not opposed to drafting Kirk or any receiver at that size if they are there at a later pick, but my point is that I'd much rather invest in a higher upside/higher floor player with our first round pick. 

10 hours ago, Danand said:

Ew, not a fan of Ridley either. I'm really not big on any of the receivers in this draft class, or at least none of the ones slated to go early on. Think there's much better value to be had in the trenches and RB (depending on where we pick) this year. 

Regardless of the facts that we are at least a decent team now and that Flacco will likely improve with better health and some pieces added, I'm ready to start looking for a QB of the future, that we can have under contract for the next 5 years. 

Learn from doing the opposite of the Browns. Draft QBs early and often if needed. It's that important a position.

I'm seeing Lamar Jackson mocked all over the place from top prospect to not a first round pick. I think he is special. Like I thought Watson was special before the draft last year, even though his stock moved all over the place before ultimately ending up too low. 

Edited by wackywabbit