Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

5 minutes ago, Danand said:

He would somewhat take Camps role?

As a returner? Probably. However, I think he could also be our 2nd or 3rd receiving option depending on whether or not we retain Wallace and the status of Perriman.

Maclin//White/Moore/(Rookie/FA)

Find an actual receiving tight end to replace Watson and those are a pretty nice set of targets for Joe, imo.

Edit: Wonder if a guy like Allen Robinson could be had at a discount given that he's coming off an injury?

3 hours ago, paraven said:

so who on the current roster of WR is back next year? I feel its safe to say Perriman and Maclin and Campanaro will be out. Leaving Moore and Wallace as the 2 to return. Id imagine Quincy Adeboyejo will make the team. Regardless, we will need to pick up a WR early in the draft and get one in FA. 

I agree with Maclin and Campanaro both being gone. Maclin has a two year deal but it looks like it was a cheaper version of the kind of deal we gave to Mike Wallace. Keeping him would cost $4m. Agree that there’s no way we do that. I disagree that we will cut Perriman though. Former 1st round pick that has one more year left on his contract and will cost under 900k. Imagine the fan outrage if he got picked up by the Patriots or something and dominated. People would call for heads when they find out we could’ve kept him, it would’ve costed us “peanuts” and we didn’t.

In terms of the roster guarantees, like others have said, I think Tim White will definitely be added to the list. I will though take away Mike Wallace as a guarantee. He’s currently making over $5m. Even for his deep threat abilities, I don’t think he’s proven he’s worth keeping at that price. So it’ll be interesting to see how much he’s looking to be paid and if he feels our offense is “capable” enough for him to want to return to. Also considering he’s not finding ways to produce on an otherwise abysmal offense, not sure the organization doesn’t just decide to blow up the unit and start over from mostly scratch.

I definitely agree that we’ll need to go to free agency and look to secure a wide receiver, perhaps even double dip for veterans. I’m thinking an option to look out for will be Jordan Matthews. Has a history of knee concerns and didn’t produce for the Bills, but isn’t a much different offense. I think he’d fit with our scheme offensively. He’s also the exact kind of veteran receiver I think we could use, someone that can make plays and be a chain moving 3rd down type in that mold of TJ Houshmanzadeh, Dallas Clark, Anquan Boldin, etc that this years offense is missing. We could do a similar two year prove it deal like we’ve done with both Wallace and Maclin.

In the draft I like James Washington in the 2nd round, hopefully he doesn’t climb to the 1st round come draft time. Think he’s bring a similar playmaking fit to the offense, but with enough polish so as not to be concerned with him being a bust. That could be a solid unit:

1) Jordan Matthews

2) James Washington

3) Chris Moore

4) Tim Young

5) Breshad Perriman

And then carry an extra tight end vs an extra receiver. Or add another veteran wr option as the 6th receiver. Perhaps a deep threat.

2 hours ago, alfalcone said:

Allen Robinson is a free agent and fits the profile of someone we would pursue

Robinson would defjnitely be a quality candidate as well. Heck, I wouldn’t mind us double dipping and going after both Allen Robinson and Jordan Matthews. Both could potentially be had for a quality price due to injuries/performance drop. And then going into the draft receiver could be more of a “best player available” only type of pick vs needing to force the issue to fill the roster with quality options.

2 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I’d rather get Jimmy Graham than a WR. They’ve been trying to build a passing game around TEs without a star TE for years. Lets try it with a star TE 

Eh, Graham isn't quite what he used to be. His target volume in the red zone compared to the rest of the field is absolutely ridiculous. Not that he would be a bad get, but our problem isn't exactly scoring (Top 10 in red zone scoring percentage). Rather, it's actually getting to the red zone in the first place. Don't think he's quite the type of TE we need at this point in his career. If only the Travis Kelce's of the world grew on trees.

Might that make it so that he comes at a more affordable price though? I wouldn’t mind bringing him in if it comes at a reasonable price.

I’d much rather take that near $6m we were paying Mike Wallace this year and attach it to a tight end that could make plays on a regular basis.

edit: And just Graham’s ability to be a “star” player would draw coverage away from some of our other options.

Edited by diamondbull424

One thing in favour of the possibility of signing a big name FA WR (even though I don't think it'll happen because it's not this FOs MO) is that the salary cap will be rising fairly significantly for next season, so we might actually have the cap space.

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

One thing in favour of the possibility of signing a big name FA WR (even though I don't think it'll happen because it's not this FOs MO) is that the salary cap will be rising fairly significantly for next season, so we might actually have the cap space.

Eh... McFarland has the Ravens sitting at a bit over $168 million in cap commitments for 2018. With 50 players. That increase in cap isn't even enough for the Ravens to get to the offseason roster of 90 players. Folks, free agency isn't happening for the Ravens this March. And if it does we're going to be missing some players that we actually want kept around.