Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

Jimmy Smith? Cut? lol. No. The Ravens need him despite Tavon coming back. Carr isn't good, and while Humphrey looks like he is that's only one outside corner. That $2.325 million opened up but Baltimore cutting Smith isn't near worth it. And yes, his suspension doesn't matter because it's being served during his stint on IR.

Cutting Maclin only opens up $5 million too. Not that it would be a good idea either. He's still the best receiver on the team. 

I don't know where you're getting the numbers from, but below is McFarland's contract detail page. It's all you need, and correct unlike a lot of the bigger sites that aren't dedicated to the minutiae of a single team. 

https://russellstreetreport.com/salarycap/player-contract-details-2016/

Post 6/1 it’s $9 million for Smith 

And I don’t know how you can possibly justify the cap hit we’re about to take for Smith

The guy can never stay healthy. And that was before this Achilles. As far as I know that’s the first one and they recur a lot. And he’s over 30. And we don’t know if he’ll still be good if he isn’t on PEDS. We might as well take $15 million and set it on fire

Post 6/1 doesn't matter because there's no money to be spent by then. Especially not in the context of signing free agents in March. Even with the designation cap space sin't actually opened up until after that date, it's just a tool to let the player hit the market when there's actual money being spent.

Smith was really, really good this year before the last couple of weeks when his Achilles was flaring up and then actually torn. I'm very skeptical of those kinds of injuries, but more and more guys are coming back fine from them. The PED thing doesn't worry me at all. Unless he's Shawne Merriman, there isn't much of a concern here.

I asked the question about cutting Jimmy a while back and it was widely told to me that he's basically a lock on the roster because of dead money. I would highly, highly suggest trying to trade Jimmy Smith while we can still get something out of him. He's inconsistent and always injured, but his play is still good enough where maybe some team will throw a 3rd or 4th rounder at us for him.

agreed, Jimmy Smith is still too valuable to get rid of. also does not make sense to weaken one of the few strong parts of your roster again, now that we finally have depth and quality in the secondary. probably could cut Webb, extend Weddle one year to mentor a safety drafted (if so), and retool your WR core from scratch. i like Wallace as he seems to be the most capable / interested of the bunch right now, but his money could be spent better elsewhere. Maclin just doesn't give an ish about the offense he is forced to play in so byebye.

We wouldn’t be able to trade Jimmy. He would need to be able to pass a physical in order to complete the trade. And with this injury it would be doubtful that he could pass such a physical until probably past the trade deadline, perhaps right around it. But at that point, there would be no point to the trade.

If we were to get rid of him it would be to cut him and then do an injury settlement. Would I cut him? I don’t know. Might not be a bad idea. Could allow us to attack free agency a little and then cutting him would allow us to sign the draft class.

I think more likely I would look to restructure his deal. Perhaps extend him another year, giving him a signing bonus, and then spread his salary out over the extra season. Coming off an injury he might appreciate the extra year of “stability”. Worst case extending him would open us up to having to cut him later, but best case he returns to quality form and we have Brandon Carr’s replacement as a big physical corner with knowledge that might have lost a step. And it would also open up cap space enough to perhaps make a decent move in free agency.

We wouldn’t be able to get a Dez Bryant. But we MIGHT be able to afford Graham for that, depending on how much he’s looking for. However we could definitely obtain a free agent WR like Jordan Matthews and/or Allen Robinson for that amount. I think it’s the smartest play.

Edited by diamondbull424

how you all expect Allen Robinson to get smaller money than Dez Bryant is beyond me.

before his injury Robinson was one of the best WR in the league. Bryant it seems needs a) a fresh start somewhere else and b) would certainly not command the contract Robinson will.

and i'm not sure we could/should restructure J. Smiths contract again after we already did so this summer.

6 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

how you all expect Allen Robinson to get smaller money than Dez Bryant is beyond me..

Idk what he’d get compared to Dez but I agree. I don’t think A-Rob is going to be the bargain ppl for think. My guess is he’s going to get a Jeffery type 1 year deal for a lot 

This is a nice article on Alex Collins and the improvement the Ravens have seen in the running game in recent weeks

Alex Collins Has Given the Ravens’ Offense New Life

And with a dominant defense, this team might just scare some squads come January

I ask this question with genuine incredulity, because for most of the season, Joe Flacco, with a 13-to-12 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a 78.0 passer rating, has been one of the worst starting quarterbacks in the NFL, but: Is … is the Ravens’ offense … good now? That would’ve been a laughable concept early in the year, but over the past seven weeks, just one team in the NFL, the NFC’s top-seeded Eagles, has averaged more than Baltimore’s 31.8 points per game.

Even with a heartbreaking 39-38 loss to the Steelers on Sunday, the Ravens’ sudden surge on offense has helped them go 4-2 in their past six games, and Baltimore (currently the 7-seed) finds itself in a position to make a run at the postseason. The Ravens’ typically stout defense will still make up the team’s foundation as it finishes the year with a relative cupcake schedule—facing off against the Browns, Colts, and Bengals—but the jump in the team’s ground game could make them a true contender in the AFC’s wide-open playoff field. At the center of that offensive upswing is breakout star running back Alex Collins, a second-year pro out of Arkansas who started the season on the team’s practice squad.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/12/13/16770368/alex-collins-ravens-offense

• Like 1

Looks like this is Marvin Lewis’ last season as the coach over the Cincinnati Bengals... and just like that the last of the Lewis’ brothers (Ray, Jamal, Jermaine, and Marvin) looks to be exiting the NFL. I’m thinking he’ll head to the collegiate ranks. College fans are much more appreciative of a coach that can consistently put together solid teams... unless you’re talking the elite programs like Michigan and OSU and Alabama and such.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/12/17/marvin-lewis-surprises-bengals-opting-not-return-2018/959164001/