Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

13 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

It's also clear they don't regard Chuck Clark that highly. 

Either way he'll get a half season plus to stake his claim to the position now. If he keeps up like he has with this audition I'd be shocked if they don't pencil him in as a starter for next season and devote attention/cap resources elsewhere. Fact that he got the green dot so quickly does show a degree of faith in him even if obviously they weren't willing to hook Jefferson for him when that would have been an option. I do wonder how much locker room politics played a part in that though. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 2

Us pursuing Jamal Adams isn't an indictment of Chuck Clark. Just as pursuing Jalen Ramsey wasn't an indictment of Marlon Humphrey or Tavon Young. The team is in love with Clark.

The FO just wanted to add another versatile high end safety. Like Clark, Adams can play all over the field. Everything is trending towards 3 safeties playing the majority of the time. 

1 hour ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Imagine picking 32nd in the draft and we wanted to trade into the top 10, to get Adams, and we just had to give up our second round pick along with next year's in return. 

That's what we said no to. Allegedly.

Idk bro... I think that’s too much based upon all the holes we bout to need to fill... Jefferson is trash but is still under contract and idk if we ready to eat that contract on top of us basically having no linebackers under contract for next year except Ferguson and bowser ... Judon Fort Bynes and peanut are free agents not to mention Pierce Peters Jimmy and Carr are all free agents too... We already have to work a miracle to field a defense next year as is losing a 1st 2nd and a future 2nd for a position that we at least already have bodies to fill would have been good for this years run but detrimental to our ability to continue to build going forward 

Edited by bmorecareful

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Us pursuing Jamal Adams isn't an indictment of Chuck Clark. Just as pursuing Jalen Ramsey wasn't an indictment of Marlon Humphrey or Tavon Young. The team is in love with Clark.

The FO just wanted to add another versatile high end safety. Like Clark, Adams can play all over the field. Everything is trending towards 3 safeties playing the majority of the time. 

How can anyone realistically sit here and say this when Chuck Clark played an average of 22.72% defensive snaps until Tony Jefferson got hurt, WHILE Tony Jefferson was by far our worst defensive player on the field? If the team was "in love" with him, Jefferson wouldn't have been playing, or Clark would've at least been seeing more than 15 snaps/game on defense.

Maybe they're warming up to him now (hopefully), but the bolded is just downright false.

44 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

How can anyone realistically sit here and say this when Chuck Clark played an average of 22.72% defensive snaps until Tony Jefferson got hurt, WHILE Tony Jefferson was by far our worst defensive player on the field? If the team was "in love" with him, Jefferson wouldn't have been playing, or Clark would've at least been seeing more than 15 snaps/game on defense.

Maybe they're warming up to him now (hopefully), but the bolded is just downright false.

The team is allowed to love a player and simultaneously neglect them, even to their detriment- unfortunately. And no player has received more unprovoked praise from players and coaches over the past 2 years than Chuck Clark. The insiders have talked about it too. That's just a fact. I mean it's been no secret how high the organization was on Chuck Clark. 

So, yes. The team/coaches loved Chuck Clark, touted him, and still gave Tony Jefferson a major role in this defense. Resolve that conundrum in your head how ever you have to. My advice is to simply accept that as a fan of the Harbaugh led Ravens you're going to come across head scratch personnel red flags from time to time, that usually carry the same theme.- If there is a 'passable' veteran/seniority bearing player in front of a young and talent/potential filled player, it's going to be hard for said young player to find the field with any sort of grand consistency. Injuries have been the gateway to starter gigs for multiple more deserving players on the team for years.

Edited by DreamKid

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

The team is allowed to love a player and simultaneously neglect them, even to their detriment- unfortunately. And no player has received more unprovoked praise from players and coaches over the past 2 years than Chuck Clark. The insiders have talked about it too. That's just a fact. I mean it's been no secret how high the organization was on Chuck Clark. 

Chris Moore? Patrick Onwuasor? I mean, come on....if this organization loved the kid and knew how smart he was, they wouldn't be hiding him behind Tony freaking Jefferson so literally no reason UNLESS they're totally incompetent. 

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

So, yes. The team/coaches loved Chuck Clark, touted him, and still gave Tony Jefferson a major role in this defense. Resolve that conundrum in your head how ever you have to. My advice is to simply accept that as a fan of the Harbaugh led Ravens you're going to come across head scratch personnel red flags from time to time, that usually carry the same theme.- If there is a 'passable' veteran/seniority bearing player in front of a young and talent/potential filled player, it's going to be hard for said young player to find the field with any sort of grand consistency. Injuries have been the gateway to starter gigs for multiple more deserving players on the team for years.

This is completely fair, though, but leans more towards incompetency than anything else. I mean, there's no other well-run professional organization in sports that would actively play a worse player just because they're older than the younger guy. Usually that kind of stuff is reserved for teams like the Browns.

Ultimately though I hope none of this matters. I hope Chuck Clark keeps playing well and we never look back at Jefferson again and we end up having found a solid starting safety opposite of Earl Thomas for the next few years.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Chris Moore? Patrick Onwuasor? I mean, come on....if this organization loved the kid and knew how smart he was, they wouldn't be hiding him behind Tony freaking Jefferson so literally no reason UNLESS they're totally incompetent. 

lol. Marlon Humphrey? Orlando Brown Jr.? I mean, yes.... It happens. Those two also only got a true starting gig/responsibilities because of injuries. And they were early round draft picks. Clark was what, a 6th Round pick?

A coach removing a high price FA vet in leadership role from a starting gig is never going to be easy. Our talent at CB last year allowed Jefferson to be covered up more than he could be this season too. He was a weak link to be sure, but he was a starter that made an occasional play on arguably the top D in the NFL. Harbaugh wasn't going to mess with that in 2018, and I imagine this year his idea was to try and maintain some cohesion from the 2018 unit that had a mass exodus of players.

To his credit John appears to be more flexible this year too. Guys like Ferg, Brown, and Boykin are all seeing time. He also didn't just default to James Hurst again, which is good and a signal of progress on his part imo.

12 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This is completely fair, though, but leans more towards incompetency than anything else. I mean, there's no other well-run professional organization in sports that would actively play a worse player just because they're older than the younger guy. Usually that kind of stuff is reserved for teams like the Browns.

It's not an outlandish 'concept' by any stretch. Roll with veterans when you can to try and mitigate the woes of Rookie/Young players. It's only an issue when you carry the philosophy to an extreme and fail to cut out malignant elements.

It's an issue that's also been exasperated of late because we've identified so many good young players. Something that separates us from those bad teams you reference. Most clubs don't have a Chuck Clark in their back pocket.

17 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Ultimately though I hope none of this matters. I hope Chuck Clark keeps playing well and we never look back at Jefferson again and we end up having found a solid starting safety opposite of Earl Thomas for the next few years.

I think we'll draft someone decently high. Earl is in his 30s as is Levine and DeShon is injured. Tony imo has played his last down with us. Chuck Clark though does have the early look of a foundation player for us moving forward. 

I'd like to bring in another center field type, and identifying a strong LB/S hybrid would be swell too. Modern NFL defenses can't have enough Safeties.  

11 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This doesn’t make sense. I’ve never heard Chris Moore talked about in the same mold as Chuck Clark. We’ve heard Weddle, Jefferson, ET29, Jimmy, Carr... all have spoken on Clark. We’ve heard many nickname him baby Weddle. Moore has no such nickname. What’s more when players talk about Clark it’s unprovoked. I rarely ever hear anyone bring up Chris Moore unless a reporter asks about him and how he looks. Usually a Chris Moore compliment might be something like, “he definitely has an opportunity in front of him to compete for playing reps at WR. He’s going to surprise some people with his development. He’s got the talent to make some things happen there. We’ve seen him make some plays in games on occasion. We just need to see him compete and continue to make those plays more regularly.”

Wheras with Chuck Clark it would be something more like, “We have great starters, but even with our depth, beck you’ve got a guy like Chuck Clark. He’s big, physical, can cover, can play the run. He does everything you’d want. He’s the complete package. He’s probably one of if not the most knowledgeable player along our defense. I can’t wait to see what he can do in games. He’s been an outstanding player during camp.”

Im just paraphrasing, but those are some of the things that have been said to a degree.

If the coaches don’t love Clark, I doubt they would give him the green dot helmet.

Had we gotten Adams, I’m sure we keep Clark out there as the defensive playcaller and have him play all over the place.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

This doesn’t make sense. I’ve never heard Chris Moore talked about in the same mold as Chuck Clark.

For real. Clark has been this group of players and coaches' crown prince for a while now. It's like if they didn't pay homage to him at a presser they were risking execution lol.

I can always recommend the videos Edgar Allen posts. It is not highlights but selected plays where he notices something. Clark featured in a couple of those plays against Seattle which shows stuff we might have missed in the game.

While I find it a bit funny that he makes a point of a simple shift from Clark to Thomas when they have to shift assignment, there are some examples of what Clark brings and why it seems unlikely they would move away from him again unless he was injured. 

That we pursued Adams is a surprise to me, but he is a really good player and while it would be difficult to have Adams, Clark and Thomas on the field at the same time at all times, rotations isn't bad and might improve the overall performance on gameday as well as keeping players fresh in week 9 as well as in week 17.

6 minutes ago, Danand said:

That we pursued Adams is a surprise to me

I think inquiring about any great player is always prudent. The reported price tag on him though, 2 First Round Picks +..., is a good indication that we or anyone else were never truly "in" on him. That kind of compensation is too rich for a safety outside of Ed Reed or Earl Thomas territory imo. It's a very important position, but still ultimately takes a back seat to QB, CB, PR, IPR, and T.