Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

I think inquiring about any great player is always prudent. The reported price tag on him though, 2 First Round Picks +..., is a good indication that we or anyone else were never truly "in" on him. That kind of compensation is too rich for a safety outside of Ed Reed or Earl Thomas territory imo. It's a very important position, but still ultimately takes a back seat to QB, CB, PR, IPR, and T.

I/we might also put too much emphasis on the Ravens listening to what the Jets wanted in a traded. It might be simple interest to see what the Jets wanted and what they could be able to negotiate in the situation, rather than us having a significant interest and seriously pursuing Adams in a trade.

My bet is, that when we didn't use the trade window, we will go forward with Ward, Ferguson, Bowser and Judon as our 4 outside linebackers and have Sieler/Ricard take on bigger roles next to Wormley, Williams and Pierce.

Having Onwuasor back at his natural position might be a bigger "upgrade" than we anticipate. This year we haven't seen him perform like he did in the last couple of games last season where he was an impact player and big playmaker.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Danand said:

we will go forward with Ward, Ferguson, Bowser and Judon as our 4 outside linebackers and have Sieler/Ricard take on bigger roles next to Wormley, Williams and Pierce.

I hope Bowser can really build off of his performance in Seattle. He's been good all year but it might've been his best outing as a Raven. Not as gaudy as the Sack + Interception game his Rookie year, but he won almost every snap. Consistently beat his blocker and made plays against the run too. If it's signs of things to come we should be excited. Brady won't be able to escape pressure the way Wilson did, I think we'll see some Sacks on Sunday night.

46 minutes ago, Danand said:

Having Onwuasor back at his natural position might be a bigger "upgrade" than we anticipate. This year we haven't seen him perform like he did in the last couple of games last season where he was an impact player and big playmaker.

I agree. Taking the green dot off and moving him back to Will allows us to weaponize him again. People forget he had 7.5 Sacks(5.5-Reg,1-Pre,1-Post) last year against starting OLs. With better coverage on the back end, us firing him at defenses is going to pay dividends quick.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I hope Bowser can really build off of his performance in Seattle. He's been good all year but it might've been his best outing as a Raven. Not as gaudy as the Sack + Interception game his Rookie year, but he won almost every snap. Consistently beat his blocker and made plays against the run too. If it's signs of things to come we should be excited. Brady won't be able to escape pressure the way Wilson did, I think we'll see some Sacks on Sunday night.

I agree. Taking the green dot off and moving him back to Will allows us to weaponize him again. People forget he had 7.5 Sacks(5.5-Reg,1-Pre,1-Post) last year against starting OLs. With better coverage on the back end, us firing him at defenses is going to pay dividends quick.

This will add the speed element to our pass rush which we don't really have. I wonder how they will utilize Bowser going forward. It still seems they are cautious with giving him too many snaps, which might be due to Ferguson playing better than expected, or that Bowser doesn't play some assignments as they want him to. 

At best it is a decision to keep him as fresh as possible to have him provide pressure more consistently instead of being gassed.

4 minutes ago, Danand said:

This will add the speed element to our pass rush which we don't really have. I wonder how they will utilize Bowser going forward. It still seems they are cautious with giving him too many snaps, which might be due to Ferguson playing better than expected, or that Bowser doesn't play some assignments as they want him to. 

At best it is a decision to keep him as fresh as possible to have him provide pressure more consistently instead of being gassed.

Bowser does look improved rushing the passer but I’m a bit surprised we haven’t used him more in coverage when blitzing. He is the perfect chess piece as his athleticism allows him to drop from LOS and cover somewhat successfully. 

Anybody noticed him in coverage yet this year? Seem very limited opportunities.

3 minutes ago, Danand said:

When I reviewed the Seattle game it looked like they were leaning on Ferguson after McPhee went down at first, but then when they saw how active Bowser was they left him in for a big big stretch. Tyus is a sound player now. He plays through his blocks against the run consistently and has developed as a pass rusher. The motor and pursuit are all there. He's really starting to stand out. 

On the other hand I don't think Judon or Ferg looked all that good against the Seahawks. Judon looked pretty apathetic at times and when Jalen's Bull Rush isn't working he's a non factor. I'd like to see them play better against the Pats.

14 minutes ago, Rein said:

Bowser does look improved rushing the passer but I’m a bit surprised we haven’t used him more in coverage when blitzing. He is the perfect chess piece as his athleticism allows him to drop from LOS and cover somewhat successfully. 

Anybody noticed him in coverage yet this year? Seem very limited opportunities.

He's only dropped a handful of times all year. Maybe with the defense settled now though we'll see more of it. 

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

When I reviewed the Seattle game it looked like they were leaning on Ferguson after McPhee went down at first, but then when they saw how active Bowser was they left him in for a big big stretch. Tyus is a sound player now. He plays through his blocks against the run consistently and has developed as a pass rusher. The motor and pursuit are all there. He's really starting to stand out. 

On the other hand I don't think Judon or Ferg looked all that good against the Seahawks. Judon looked pretty apathetic at times and when Jalen's Bull Rush isn't working he's a non factor. I'd like to see them play better against the Pats.

He's only dropped a handful of times all year. Maybe with the defense settled now though we'll see more of it. 

Bowser was knocked for what he did on the Nick Chubb run, I can't remember if he was pulled from the game, but I actually think he did well on that play although he had to recover. Unfortunately the hole was big and while he forced Chubb inside, we didn't have anyone to fill from the linebackers/safeties.

From the Edgar Allen videos, it seems they are molding Ferguson to be a Suggs kind of player who is more disruptive rather than a finisher.

Edited by Danand

Just now, Danand said:

Bowser was knocked for what he did on the Nick Chubb run, I can't believe if he was pulled from the game, but I actually think he did well on that play although he had to recover. Unfortunately the hole was big and while he forced Chubb inside, we didn't have anyone to fill from the linebackers/safeties.

Yea. Bowser played through his block, you can't fault him on that one. It would've been great if he identified Chubb's cut and adjusted in time, but that's asking for a lot. That play was on Jefferson and the off ball, IIRC it was Kenny Young. Don't forget Earl Thomas opting out of trying to run him down too. Chubb also just flat out showcased his vision on the play. He's the best player on that Browns' offense imo. 

10 minutes ago, Danand said:

From the Edgar Allen videos, it seems they are molding Ferguson to be a Suggs kind of player who is more disruptive rather than a finisher.

He had a solid TFL against the Seahawks on a good play, but he really struggles to get off blocks at times. For such a dominant CFB 'Power Rusher' too, he isn't very adept at setting the edge. I'm not expecting perfection, after all he is a Rookie. We might want to manage his snaps a little better though. Keep him fresh.

14 minutes ago, Danand said:

Bowser was knocked for what he did on the Nick Chubb run, I can't believe if he was pulled from the game, but I actually think he did well on that play although he had to recover. Unfortunately the hole was big and while he forced Chubb inside, we didn't have anyone to fill from the linebackers/safeties.

Young was absolutely the biggest culprit on the Chubb run. LB malfeasance to be honest. Assuming we’re talking about the same Chubb run, of course. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Young was absolutely the biggest culprit on the Chubb run. LB malfeasance to be honest. Assuming we’re talking about the same Chubb run, of course. 

Every time I watch that play, it's hard to decide between Young and Jefferson as teh biggest culprit. Jefferson literally ran himself out of the entire play.

• Like 3

People are forgetting that Chuck Clark played ILB in the one game where both he and Deshon Elliott were healthy (Bengals) after Jefferson's injury.

If the FO had signed Adams, there's no doubt in my mind Adams would have been at SS in the Elliott role, and Clark would have gone back to playing ILB like the original plan was after TJs injury. Going after Adams has nothing to do with the team's perception of Chuck Clark - if anything it showed faith that he could slot back in to ILB without a hitch - a testament to their belief in his versatility and intelligence. 

• Like 1

Inquiring on Jamal Adams is the team doing their due diligence on a player that literally every GM should've called about. Any team who didn't call about him (sans maybe the Chargers?) would be fools for not at least seeing what the asking price was.

As good as Clark is, or is regarded as being, when you have the chance to get an elite safety like Jamal Adams who is just going into his prime, you have to explore that.

Being upfront might be a reason we sometimes can't/wont lure players in on false promises or promises of a land of gold and honey. On the other hand I believe this is a sound strategy to attract the right type of players like Boldin, Weddle, Steve Smith and others, who after only a few years as a Ravens talks about retiring as a Raven.

It is a small part of the fan experience, but I am happy to be a fan of a "mature" organization with strong values and not a dumpsterfire like the Redskins or Jets.

• Like 3