Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

9 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Well, IF that's what it is, then those outraged at him for making an unapologetic/PR-type post still managed to jump too soon...

You think they’ll pause and reflect...? 

54 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

The Browns are the team of tomorrow, and always will be. 

i hope so :-)

they do have some media dralings on that team though so they are marketable... unless they crash and burn again.
w/e, just wanted to say that i could very well see Browns or Bengals matchup being televised on prime time over a Steelers slugfest.

US media tends to pick story over substance. Remember how many prime time games the Browns got last season without really having any reason to, other than having some hot names on their roster.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

i hope so :-)

they do have some media dralings on that team though so they are marketable... unless they crash and burn again.
w/e, just wanted to say that i could very well see Browns or Bengals matchup being televised on prime time over a Steelers slugfest.

US media tends to pick story over substance. Remember how many prime time games the Browns got last season without really having any reason to, other than having some hot names on their roster.

But they were the most talented team in the league! xD

• Like 2

I would love to play the Browns or Bengals on primetime. Would be a cool change-up. 

Edit: At home. I feel like every primetime game we've had against those 2 teams in the past 10 years has been at their place. Bengals thurs night in 2018, MNF kick-six in Cleveland, feel like there was another MNF @CLE somewhere in there. Only one I can remember us hosting was the 2012 MNF against the Bengals. 

Edited by Ray Reed

1 minute ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Ravens announced they weren't made aware of the ET incident until the news came out Wednesday night. A pretty cold statement given from them. Thomas may not be out of the woods with the team.. 

Gotta be honest. Earl was great in coverage last year, but there were a lot of times he pulled up/jogged/lazily arm-tackled people in games last year that stuck out to me after re-watching last season on Gamepass.

It also felt like with a lot of his comments last year to the media, and his general attitude, sometimes it feels like he's not part of "the guys" like most of the other players, and he hasn't really put a "team first' attitude up. Kinda gives off a vibe like he's separate from the rest of the team. 

Obviously our team is better with him than without him, so I'm not advocating cutting him or anything. Just something I kind of noticed last year through interviews, mic'd up episodes, etc. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Gotta be honest. Earl was great in coverage last year, but there were a lot of times he pulled up/jogged/lazily arm-tackled people in games last year that stuck out to me after re-watching last season on Gamepass.

It also felt like with a lot of his comments last year to the media, and his general attitude, sometimes it feels like he's not part of "the guys" like most of the other players, and he hasn't really put a "team first' attitude up. Kinda gives off a vibe like he's separate from the rest of the team. 

Obviously our team is better with him than without him, so I'm not advocating cutting him or anything. Just something I kind of noticed last year through interviews, mic'd up episodes, etc. 

He won't be cut but I feel he should be suspended 2 games without pay. There's no excuse that the fans should find out before the organization does. You'd like to think his agent gave him some guidance and said tell the team before going on IG.

18 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Yeah there's just something sorta off about him. Talking all that crap and then letting Derrick Henry make him his ***** was just sort of the icing on the cake of a season where he never really seemed to buy in/fit with the culture and approach of the rest of the team. Also remember him getting heated with Brandon Williams for sitting out the first Browns game even though he himself pulled up on that Chubb TD run calling it a 'business decision.' The coverage skills are great but he just seems like a weird and kind of unpleasant guy. 

From a cap standpoint alone he's with us for at least one more year I think but my guess is that the organization isn't particularly thrilled with the Thomas signing and I wouldn't be surprised if they get out of it as soon as it becomes cost-effective to do so. 

With this incident just glad to hear he's okay because that really could have gone so much worse... but again, just a weird situation all-around. Nothing illegal going on, but I can't imagine some of the details in that story are the kinds of things Harbaugh/EDC want to be hearing about what their supposed vet leaders are up to in the offseason. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Yeah there's just something sorta off about him. Talking all that crap and then letting Derrick Henry make him his ***** was just sort of the icing on the cake of a season where he never really seemed to buy in/fit with the culture and approach of the rest of the team. Also remember him getting heated with Brandon Williams for sitting out the first Browns game even though he himself pulled up on that Chubb TD run calling it a 'business decision.' The coverage skills are great but he just seems like a weird and kind of unpleasant guy. 

From a cap standpoint alone he's with us for at least one more year I think but my guess is that the organization isn't particularly thrilled with the Thomas signing and I wouldn't be surprised if they get out of it as soon as it becomes cost-effective to do so. 

Yeah, agree. Weird and unpleasant is like the perfect description of the vibe I get lol.

Have to think we'll be looking at S here in the early rounds sooner rather than later. Although I still (maybe foolishly) am personally holding out hope that Elliott stays healthy and proves he can be a player for us. Would certainly help a transition from Earl to the next guy, whenever that is.

• Like 1

I think I agree with most of the comments about Earl Thomas. Especially the trash talk he couldn't follow up made him look bad, and some other instances where he made business decisions. 

But his play on the field, I have seen enough twitter analysts showcasing his impact in coverage where he takes away 1-2-3 reads in succession from a quarterback which lead to a coverage sack. Those plays are impact plays but never show up on a stat sheet. 

One significant play was Earl Thomas starting out as a centerfielder, then running down and taking away the crossing route, which made the QB look to his second read, which was also taken away by Thomas who shifted assignment in the middle of the play. 

He was used in a different way than in Seattle which might have limited his picks and pass breakups but instead had him make plays on all levels on the field.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Danand said:

But his play on the field, I have seen enough twitter analysts showcasing his impact in coverage where he takes away 1-2-3 reads in succession from a quarterback which lead to a coverage sack. Those plays are impact plays but never show up on a stat sheet. 

Yea. Earl had some ridiculous advanced stats once again. There was some low lights against the run, but he was what we wanted in coverage. No denying it.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

22 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Wouldn't put too much stock in that. Playing the Bengals twice accounts for a lot of that weak SoS and they'll likely be a lot better next season. 

Exactly. Also from what I remember we were supposed to have a middle of the pack SOS in 2019 until the season started and we ended up with the highest SOV in the NFL by the end of it all; with a SOS that was somewhere in that top 5 range IIRC.

AFC North
Looking at the realities of the schedule I look at it and feel the AFCN just got a lot better.

The Bengals now should have an improved OL, improved QB, and they get back one of the best WRs in the NFL in AJ Green. I’m not much a believer in the less athletic Mike Williams (Tee Higgins) they just drafted, but even without him you’ve got Tyler Boyd who was a serious threat in his own right. John Ross was giving his first breakout impression within that offense without all the weapons with Auden Tate being a problem at times.

The Browns just wrapped up having one of the best drafts in the NFL (along with us tbf) plus they add what should be a competent HC coming from a HC tree that while not “dominant” such as an Andy Reid tree has led to some success in other franchises IIRC.

Then the Steelers are always a serious threat because of how well run that organization is consistently from the owners to the GM to the coaching staff.

NFC East
Then I look at the NFC East and the Eagles last season were a playoff team (though because of the weak division) on the backs of a depleted secondary and WR positions. They’ve bulked up those units with the likes of Jalen Raegor and John Hightower, plus I expect a massive leap from JJAW in year two. They’ve improved their OL and added pieces to the secondary; most notably Darius Slay and Nickel Roby-Coleman... plus some safeties. The bad luck with injuries is partly what made them “underperform” last season and with a loaded slate and with facing them rather early in the season (most likely) we should get the full brunt of their attack.

The Cowboys nearly made the playoffs and certainly underperformed, but have switched to a new coaching staff. One that will have tons of tendencies on other coaches with less tendencies to gameplan against in comparison, an early season advantage for sure. Throw in the fact that they’ve consistently been typically a quality early season team anyway (that implodes) shows they’ve had the talent but lacked the consistent motivation under Garrett. They too also add one of the best perceived draft classes to their litany of talent and should be a much improved team in 2020 over their 2019 result.

Washington Redskins spent last season in disarray with a terrible coach that made it aware that he had quit on the team and was just there for a paycheck in the end. Ron Rivera is a different breed and should vastly improved that defense that has similar defensive line talent to work with as the San Francisco 49ers. They will be a defensive juggernaut under his tutelage, I’m sure. Throw in a very young Dwayne Haskins that will likely make a serious leap forward in year two... plus a dangerous stable of RBs to rely on such as Bryce Love, Derrius Guice, and Adrian Peterson... plus a dangerous NFL receiver in the making in Terry McLaurin (who I loved coming out of the draft btw) and you’ve got the makings of a MUCH improved team that should compete for a playoff spot.

Then lastly the NY Giants. While I don’t necessarily view them as having made a HUGE leap forward, they did add Judge who I expect to slowly begin to change that culture similar to Brian Flores with the Dolphins. They also MAJORLY upgraded that OL and thus I expect big production from Barkley and Jones. They should be a quality squad of 5 to 6 wins, but in a tough out kind of way for sure.

Thinking by the end of the year we’ll be talking about a top 10 SOS.

3 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

He won't be cut but I feel he should be suspended 2 games without pay. There's no excuse that the fans should find out before the organization does. You'd like to think his agent gave him some guidance and said tell the team before going on IG.

Earl isn’t in any legal trouble though. We forget that these “celebrities” are also human. While I don’t condone cheating, that’s all his guilty of. 

Your not going to go into work the next day and tell your boss you got caught cheating, etc. Unless he’s being charged with a crime, it’s more of a personal matter. I don’t see the NFL taking any actions for this. 

Edited by Davesta