Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

26 minutes ago, Davesta said:

Earl isn’t in any legal trouble though. We forget that these “celebrities” are also human. While I don’t condone cheating, that’s all his guilty of. 

Your not going to go into work the next day and tell your boss you got caught cheating, etc. Unless he’s being charged with a crime, it’s more of a personal matter. I don’t see the NFL taking any actions for this. 

In the NFL world, you don't have to be guilty to be suspended. Tom Brady wasn't guilty of anything with Deflategate and was still suspended. Same with Zeke. The list goes on and on. The NFL just has to deem that you violated some vague "personal conduct" policy and made the league look bad and they can suspend you.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

In the NFL world, you don't have to be guilty to be suspended. Tom Brady wasn't guilty of anything with Deflategate and was still suspended. Same with Zeke. The list goes on and on. The NFL just has to deem that you violated some vague "personal conduct" policy and made the league look bad and they can suspend you.

Still. This would be setting a new precedent. Suspension due to an affair. I’m sure the players union will be all over it. 

He won't be suspended. Yeah you don't have to be 'guilty' to be suspended by Goodell but what that has meant in the past is that he has been willing to suspend guys just based on an accusation - but there isn't even an accusation in this situation. Earl was the victim not the assailant, there's nothing actually here to act on. 

If anyone was going to discipline him it'd come from the team not the league in this case. And while I'm sure the team isn't happy with him not telling them about it, and it's probably going to strain what might already not be a great relationship between the player and org, suspending him for what was, in a roundabout way, a near-death experience for him just feels like a really unnecessary escalation that won't help things. 

Tbh, I know everyone's harping on the 'orgy with his brother' part of the story, because it's pretty hilarious given nobody was actually hurt - but the thing that caught my eye in the article was that the argument with his wife started with her being mad/concerned about his drinking. I don't know too much about the guy personally but just from his social media presence alone it does seem like the dude likes to hit the bottle. I seem to recall from a lot of Humph's postgame team flight IG Lives that they'd usually involve Earl just sort of sitting by himself crushing some Henny. Probably reading way too much into it but given some of the other things that I think ppl have sort of noticed about him in regards to the organization - how he's a little more distant from the rest of the team, a bit more on his own - I hope if there really is an issue going on there that the org is able to provide him with the support he might need. Based on his reaction today it doesn't seem like he's taking this as anything he needs to learn from, which I mean, it's his life, but both for his own sake and also selfishly for the sake of this team in 2020 I hope he's able to straighten himself out to some extent. 

• Like 2

IF there was a problem involving alc i am sure the team would have sit with him and worked things out.

All i know he is an absolute pro. Knows how to keep himself in shape (see recent workout vid and general shape) and brings it on gameday. He may only be here for the pay day but the team does not require him to be the leader in the room everybody looks up to and rallies around.

I'd say let him sip his Henessy as long as he keeps up his professional attitude and warrants his salary with his performance during the season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davesta said:

Earl isn’t in any legal trouble though. We forget that these “celebrities” are also human. While I don’t condone cheating, that’s all his guilty of. 

Your not going to go into work the next day and tell your boss you got caught cheating, etc. Unless he’s being charged with a crime, it’s more of a personal matter. I don’t see the NFL taking any actions for this. 

This is a team sport. When you go on Instagram and and make the public privy to information that could harm the team before your own employer? That's a bad decision. Cheating on your wife, bad decision. Orgy with hookers during a pandemic, bad decision. 

See the trend? The team needs to sit him down and show him that it's not acceptable to withhold information detrimental to the team. Given the teams history with bad press, they try very hard to avoid it. 

He should be suspended. If he's not, I won't be upset but he shows an obvious trend with bad decision making. 

Edited by baltimoreRebel

2 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Earl was the victim of a crime. Any type of punishment would be beyond outrageous.

Dog, he told fans before the organization he played for. What if your kid went out and was robbed at gun point and you were sitting in the next room and see an Instagram post saying that he was almost killed 15 minutes ago and you found out at the same time as the crackhead who lives outside of the 7/11

1 minute ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Dog, he told fans before the organization he played for. What if your kid went out and was robbed at gun point and you were sitting in the next room and see an Instagram post saying that he was almost killed 15 minutes ago and you found out at the same time as the crackhead who lives outside of the 7/11

This is a reach. He literally did nothing wrong legally and was a victim. Not arrested, not charged etc etc. Would it have been nice if he informed the team? Sure. But telling your employer about your wife holding you at gunpoint and her getting arrested isn't the go to move for 99.9% of people.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

This is a reach. He literally did nothing wrong legally and was a victim. Not arrested, not charged etc etc. Would it have been nice if he informed the team? Sure. But telling your employer about your wife holding you at gunpoint and her getting arrested isn't the go to move for 99.9% of people.

It's not about telling them after it happened. It's about not telling them first before going public. If you don't think the front office is completely pissed at him right now, you're kidding yourself. Look at their statement. 

8 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

It's not about telling them after it happened. It's about not telling them first before going public. If you don't think the front office is completely pissed at him right now, you're kidding yourself. Look at their statement. 

I think the FO can be rightfully pissed and also think he doesn't owe them the obligation at the same time. I think we lose sight of the fact that in the end, it's an employee - employer relationship. This had no substantial effect on the team, it's not failing a drug test or him getting arrested which could lead to a suspension etc.

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, M.10.E said:

I think the FO can be rightfully pissed and also think he doesn't owe them the obligation at the same time. I think we lose sight of the fact that in the end, it's an employee - employer relationship. This had no substantial effect on the team, it's not failing a drug test or him getting arrested which could lead to a suspension etc.

I hear ya. I'm just heated about it. I'll get over it I suppose. Hate a negative right on the team. We've had enough of it.