Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

51 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah had we drafted someone like Antoine Winfield or something than maybe I could buy it. Getting rid of less than ideal team fit and going after Jadeveon Clowney in an effort to improve the team chemistry... maybe. But we don’t have a top safety prospect in the fold.

Unless the team has more information at its disposal than just this. Such as if Thomas has had a few drunk driving incidents that were covered up or there was a domestic violence incident that somehow never got reported, but they found out about... or something else where they feel like ET is spiraling and they might need to get out with a quick exit strategy... than I see no reason to keep him and allow his talent and hunger to prove Seattle wrong for letting him go be a motivation factor in achieving the teams aims. Most wars were won with the aid of mercenaries that fought less for a cause and more for personal gain... I see no reason ET can’t be a mercenary that gets us over the top.

We showed interest in Jamal Adams last year. Management could dump a 1st and 2022 3rd in the Jets lap. Just a random thought. Likely, no? Baltimore is giving off vibes of buyers remorse on Earl. 

I have seen no off season speculation that the team was moving on from Earl Thomas or having buyers remorse. Those thoughts have not been present anywhere until this situation occured, and as bad as it might be from a privacy standpoint, this is no worse than a player making similar bad decisions which end up with multiple kids with different women and having a family life with no structure for the kids.

As far as I know, Earl has always been a guy who was a bit special, but work ethic and talent and commitment have never been an issue besides the final months with the Seahawks - well respected guys like Eric Weddle had stuff like that to deal with as well, so that is not a knock on Earl Thomas.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Guys...

Marshal Yanda in retirement (time stamped)

It's always trippy seeing these OL guys who slim down so quickly after they retire.  IDK about you guys, but I rarely ever think about how much some of them so to gain weight to play at 300+lbs

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, drd23 said:

It's always trippy seeing these OL guys who slim down so quickly after they retire.  IDK about you guys, but I rarely ever think about how much some of them so to gain weight to play at 300+lbs

Yanda kinda eludes to it, having to carbo-load and check his weight every other day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Yanda kinda eludes to it, having to carbo-load and check his weight every other day.

Yeah, that was what reminded me of one of the last times I thought about that sort of thing - many years ago I played a text based NFL management sim game, and part of that involved deciding on diet/eating strategies for your players, where one of them was about putting on weight and was mostly used for guys in the trenches.

Other than that, it might have been seeing Matt Birk soon after he retired, where he slimmed down a lot too

• Like 1

12 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

It actually should. He's shown a propensity to be a horrible decision maker, this is further proof. If there's any shred of truth to this article. The teams looking for a way out. He's become a headache and has never really seemed to mesh with the team culture. If he comes and plays on Sundays, cool I'm all for the guy on the team but he doesn't seem to be a great teammate or employee. 

Everything out there about the team "looking for a way out" points back to one Mike Preston article with a "source". I'm not counting that even as a "shred"

• Like 2

4 hours ago, drd23 said:

On the topic of some OL guys having to eat heaps just to make weight when playing and then losing a fair bit soon after retiring, The Ringer happened to have a pretty good article on it just a few days ago

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/5/5/21246544/offensive-linemen-diet-weight-loss-gain-eating

I can recall the insane amount of chicken breast, pasta, pancakes and and endless amount of eggs (we had about 10-15 hens at my parents house so that part was easy) I had to eat when I was bulking up. And that was to a measly 180-185 at 5'6. Adding 70-80 lbs as some of these dudes does, holy cow that is insane.

12 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Everything out there about the team "looking for a way out" points back to one Mike Preston article with a "source". I'm not counting that even as a "shred"

Did you read the response from the team about the incident? Not one shred of support or the cliché (we stand behind Earl). They're not happy. 

I just wish there wasn't a pandemic. I have zero doubt this would be squashed if they could have a meeting with Earl and move forward with the incident behind them. 

16 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I’m sure, because they’re not stupid, someone within the front office laid out options available to the team should the situation escalate beyond what we know, etc. That said I seriously doubt the team is actively trying to find a way to wiggle out of the deal at this point. Smart organizations (like smart businesses) are constantly evaluating potential courses of action and their potential ramifications, even if particular paths discussed aren’t highly probable/desirable. 

• Like 1