Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

16 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Just really tough being a Ravens fan nowadays...all these good young players want to play for us but we have a lot of young stars of our own we have to pay eventually :((((

Just really tough guys

Been said before but I'll say it again. Judon and a draft pick,1st or 2nd,for Adams. If they can't sign Clowney then get one of the other free agents available like Clay Matthews, Griffen, Golden, or Sheard.

Jamal Adams is a beast of a pass rusher himself

Edited by BareYourTeeth

23 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m guessing you were referring to Earl Thomas?

Not that I’m for it from the “respect” angle, as we just signed him last season and that could be a bad look, but that money could go to Adams, Humphrey, and Stanley. Perhaps extending all three players. ETs salary is $10m. That could be rolled into a signing bonus for all three players possibly.

Marcus Peters only got an $8m signing bonus. Being on the short list we might be able to convince Adams to take a signing bonus of something like $18m. Do a four year extension, spread over the 6 years would equate to just $3m per. Same with Humphrey and Stanley.

If the Jets press us for a 1st/2nd round draft pick then we request them to pay ETs guaranteed portion of his deal, freeing up an additional $5m to throw towards Stanley.

With the front Office getting ever closer to a “make or break” season, I doubt they’ll be just looking for draft picks. They need to win or possibly be out of a job or on a short leash. Bringing in a veteran like ET could be a huge boon considering losing a franchise defensive player.

... all that said our recent draft picks have been pretty fire, id easily give up a 2nd but a 1st would feel a little steep considering we would also likely have to include ET in the deal to make it happen. 

To be clear I'm talking about cutting Thomas after next season, not prior to. Gives the team a year of Thomas, Adams, and Clark if Jamal is okay with getting traded without an extension like it's been reported. No issue with the way the team would be doing things either. Only opens up $6 million in cap space if it's a straight release before June 1st, but $10 million after if they could work out a deal with Adams to not officially sign until after then.

But like I said before, that's way too much future money tied up in the secondary. I'm betting heavily on the Thomas' replacement coming from the draft. 

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

trading for Adams would essentially be an all in move IF you believe he is the missing piece to a SB run and i don't think EDC believes that.

do people actually consider a duo of Adams/Clark or Adams/Thomas that much better than Thomas/Clark? i don't see it.

Seems like he believed it 8 months ago when he was trying to trade for him.

While I would love Adams, I simply don't think we'll be able to afford him when the time comes. As we know, we got Stanley, Judon (perhaps), Hump and Lamar coming up. Lamar about to get 50 million or whatever the step down from Patty-Mac is. But our cap guy has been finessing pretty well since he's taken over for Moriaty, so he might have something in the trick bag if the Ravens really go after Adams again. I don't see it though.

Finally had to use the ignore feature on here for that BleedTheClock guy...dude was spending all his time in yet another thread (Browns thread in NFL Gen) explaining why Lamar Jackson is actually a bad quarterback lol.

Imagine being as wrong as that guy was last offseason - saying Lamar would be out of the league in 2 years - and doubling down? 

I’ve found over the years that on this site especially, it’s the posters who actually believe themselves to be legit scout-level talent evaluators and coach-level scheme prognosticators that are the ones who hold the biggest homerisms and salty takes. They just hide behind the shield of supposed objectivity in hopes that when they reveal their insane biases, people will maybe actually believe it’s not coming from a place of homerism.

Dude is sad lol. Said it before and i’ll say it again - that lot over there deserves the perpetually fraudulent franchise that is the browns.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Finally had to use the ignore feature on here for that BleedTheClock guy...dude was spending all his time in yet another thread (Browns thread in NFL Gen) explaining why Lamar Jackson is actually a bad quarterback lol.

Imagine being as wrong as that guy was last offseason - saying Lamar would be out of the league in 2 years - and doubling down? 

I’ve found over the years that on this site especially, it’s the posters who actually believe themselves to be legit scout-level talent evaluators and coach-level scheme prognosticators that are the ones who hold the biggest homerisms and salty takes. They just hide behind the shield of supposed objectivity in hopes that when they reveal their insane biases, people will maybe actually believe it’s not coming from a place of homerism.

Dude is sad lol. Said it before and i’ll say it again - that lot over there deserves the perpetually fraudulent franchise that is the browns.

That guy is really full of himself. I also had to mute another guy "msuracer" something, who suffered from the same delusional idea that because he was a coach, he had top level insight.

Of course he supported it with really bad takes, so it was difficult to take it seriously.

28 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I keep forgetting about Tavon. Him coming back and healthy and allowing Marlon to play outside more would be huge.

It's adding another playmaker back into the defense. With how often we're fielding 3 CBs, Young is essentially a starter. He'll make us stronger in all phases when he returns. He's a pass rush asset, efficient tackler, and has great instincts in coverage(Really for football in general).

Tavon is a Pit Bull that will bring another degree of edge and swagger to the 2020 unit. That trio of Humphrey-Peters-Young, could press for All Time recognition. In terms of play and energy. How often are a legit shutdown, generational ball hawk, and elite SCB all on the field at the same time? Then you have Jimmy Smith chilling as a reserve.....? It's just beautiful. 

We all know the Ravens have long preached for a swarm/rally mentality on defense, and this year's defense could really put that at the forefront. Having Marlon is like fielding an extra LB, then you have the little hornet buzzing around in Tavon, Clark has a great nose for the ball, Judon/Bowser/Madubuike all have plus pursuit speed, Deshon Elliot is a missile, and then you add in Patrick Queen as the sub 4.5 centerpiece. - Teams trying to play small ball or work the clock against us are going to be in for a big surprise.

Edited by DreamKid
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

It's adding another playmaker back into the defense. With how often we're fielding 3 CBs, Young is essentially a starter. He'll make us stronger in all phases when he returns. He's a pass rush asset, efficient tackler, and has great instincts in coverage(Really for football in general).

Tavon is a Pit Bull that will bring another degree of edge and swagger to the 2020 unit. That trio of Humphrey-Peters-Young, could press for All Time recognition. In terms of play and energy. How often are a legit shutdown, generational ball hawk, and elite SCB all on the field at the same time? Then you have Jimmy Smith chilling as a reserve.....? It's just beautiful. 

We all know the Ravens have long preached for a swarm/rally mentality on defense, and this year's defense could really put that at the forefront. Having Marlon is like fielding an extra LB, then you have the little hornet buzzing around in Tavon, Clark has a great nose for the ball, Judon/Bowser/Madubuike all have plus pursuit speed, Deshon Elliot is a missile, and then you add in Patrick Queen as the sub 4.5 centerpiece. - Teams trying to play small ball or work the clock against us are going to be in for a big surprise.

I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but not only does Young give you a great slot coverage option, he appears to have a knack for finding the ball, as evidenced by his 3 FR in 2018, two of which went for TDs. Also, a number that's probably overlooked, he had 5 TFL in 2018, that's more than Jimmy Smith has had in his career. It's what Marlon (4) and Peters (1) put up combined last season. Lardarius Webb only notched that many in one season (rookie year in 2009). 2 sacks in 2018 as well. Really shows his ability to get in there and make a splash play, even as a small-ish CB (pitbull mentality you mentioned).

• Like 1

He has two major injuries - I really hope he has just been unlucky, because whenever he has been on the field, he has been one of our best defenders. It is not even size related injuries, just seems like bad luck as he didn't have an injury history in college.

I also says something with how early our front office locked him up. If he stays healthy, we have a great great secondary for another two years.