Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

On 9/7/2019 at 4:11 PM, DreamKid said:

I knew when the AB nonsense started in Oakland that it would end with him a Raven or Patriot. So many of these clubs just embarrass themselves with their inability to curb these players. Oakland handled this like the total amateurs that they are. Now once again 90% of the league gets cucked out and a high level player goes to a contender. I love seeing all the Raiders fans who were screaming for Brown to be cut- now recoil and cry foul. 

I'm glad he's not a Raven. It's not that I think he'd be a problem here either. I just don't want former steelers becoming Ravens, it's that simple.

Bumping my take on the AB situation from a year ago, now that his name is circulating again with the punishment handed down. Lamar's own comments have generated buzz as well.

I really don't think he'd cause issues for us, and honestly he'd be an obvious boost to the offense. That said, I still don't want him and can't see Harbaugh co signing the move anytime soon. Before our offense proved it's self as the best in the league and AB doubled, tripled, then quadrupled down on his outlandish behavior- I think signing him was possible. Now though, I don't think the team will feel it necessary to bring him in.

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Bumping my take on the AB situation from a year ago, now that his name is circulating again with the punishment handed down. Lamar's own comments have generated buzz as well.

I really don't think he'd cause issues for us, and honestly he'd be an obvious boost to the offense. That said, I still don't want him and can't see Harbaugh co signing the move anytime soon. Before our offense proved it's self as the best in the league and AB doubled, tripled, then quadrupled down on his outlandish behavior- I think signing him was possible. Now though, I don't think the team will feel it necessary to bring him in.

He might be fine at first but as the 2,3 or even 4 reception games pile up, he would start to chatter to the media about being frustrated he’s not getting the ball more. Don’t think we need his ego in our lockerroom

Does anyone know how to find out the NFL record for most consecutive seasons leading the league in rushing by Team?

The leading rushers are easy to find, but just because a team had the leading rusher doesn't mean they led the league in total rushing yards. I'm curious because that seems like a record the Lamar Jackson era Ravens could break and then establish going forward. Baring some old team holding a crazy streak I'm unfamiliar with.

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Matt Waldman's 2020 projections podcast for the Ravens. 

Its a long listen - something like 70mins iirc - but the bottom line is that they have the offense being much the same as last season, but with a little more run:pass balance (but still favouring the run), simply because its not likely that we'll be leading so many games right from the start

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Does anyone know how to find out the NFL record for most consecutive seasons leading the league in rushing by Team?

The leading rushers are easy to find, but just because a team had the leading rusher doesn't mean they led the league in total rushing yards. I'm curious because that seems like a record the Lamar Jackson era Ravens could break and then establish going forward. Baring some old team holding a crazy streak I'm unfamiliar with.

Decided to embark on a quest to find out. Pro Football Reference only had rushing team totals that went back through the 1932 NFL season. In that span from then until now, here are the list of consecutive team rushing crowns and there respective years.

16 Game Seasons
Bills- 2x (15, 16)
Falcons- 3x (04, 05, 06)
49ers- 2x (98, 99)
Bills- 2x (91, 92)
Bengals- 2x (88, 89)
Bears- 4x (86, 85, 84, 83)

14 Game Seasons
Cowboys- 2x (70, 69)
Browns- 3x (67, 66, 65)
Packers- 2x (62, 61)

12 Game and 10 Game Seasons
Browns- 2x (59, 58)
Bears- 2x (56, 55)
49ers- 3x (54, 53, 52)
Eagles- 2x (44, 43)... I guess they were a combo team with the Steelers for a season so this might not count.
Bears- 4x (42, 41, 40, 39)
Lions- 3x (38, 37, 36)
Bears- 2x (35, 34)

So yeah, the current record is 4 consecutive team rushing crowns. We’re currently only sitting at 1. Had Lamar taken over just one week sooner in 2018, we might be sitting pretty right now... but it’ll require some luck in order to reach 5 consecutive rushing titles to break the record. We would need another 4 seasons of team rushing glory. Though with Lamar and JK Dobbins in tow, its certainly possible....

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

So yeah, the current record is 4 consecutive team rushing crowns. We’re currently only sitting at 1. Had Lamar taken over just one week sooner in 2018, we might be sitting pretty right now... but it’ll require some luck in order to reach 5 consecutive rushing titles to break the record. We would need another 4 seasons of team rushing glory. Though with Lamar and JK Dobbins in tow, its certainly possible....

Awesome work DB. 

I do think we have a strong shot at setting the new record with Lamar's floor as a rusher. If he plays a full reg season it's hard to ever see him dropping below that 700-800 yard range, even as he grows as a passer- and that's playing it conservative. Lamar hasn't even hit his athletic prime yet.

Then you factor in his effect on running lanes for our backs..., and there's no reason to not have us as the favorite for the rushing crown each season. Provided we aren't fielding a trash OL that is.

A lot of things can happen like Roman leaving, injuries here and there to key pieces, etc etc. Really seems like an obtainable record for this young core though.

On another note reading over the Geno Atkins thread it makes me feel Ngata was a bit unlucky. Had his peak not been split between two different decades, there’s no way he doesn’t make the All Decade team above some of his competition.

Fletcher Cox is a stud, but not better than Ngata. Same goes for Geno Atkins and Suh. Ngata’s only inconsistencies came in the form of durability. Either way, had he been drafted just 3 years later and followed the same trend that his career ark went, he instantly has a stronger claim to the HOF with an All Decade appearance. That would’ve given us a HOF at all levels of the defense from those historic defensive units.

Alas that was not how time flowed but perhaps Justin Madubuike will right the wrongs of fate. Perhaps he will go on to be our HOF DI for a new class of legendary defenses that will send multiple players to the HOF... one can dream at least.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 4:14 PM, DreamKid said:

But then there's this type of stuff that gets buried in the article and is never really amplified by the NFL media:

“And so going through that process, I realized, talking to the doctors and just setting up the protocols and everything you have to do to keep each other safe, I feel like the risks were mitigated as much as we can.

“But at the same time, I felt like, given the circumstances, I’ve never really gotten sick much. I don’t get the flu much. I’ve been very healthy throughout my life, and with the protocols in place, I feel like you have to kind of make mistakes for you to really catch it with the way the system’s set up for it. So I’m confident that I can go through the season and play at a high level and stay safe.

So ultimately: he thought about it and decided he wasn't going to opt out because he feels that there's enough mechanisms in place to keep he and his family safe throughout the season. Great!

• Like 2

There is also the aspect, that being a part of the NFL this year, players will be a part of a much more test controlled environment than if they opted out. Of course they could choose to isolate themselves completely to be as safe as possible, but if players opt out and still go to restaurants and venues etc., I don't understand the choice.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Danand said:

There is also the aspect, that being a part of the NFL this year, players will be a part of a much more test controlled environment than if they opted out. Of course they could choose to isolate themselves completely to be as safe as possible, but if players opt out and still go to restaurants and venues etc., I don't understand the choice.

I can get it. You have to look at a couple things. Some players have pre-existing conditions so going to the occasional  restaurant is still “safer” if one is largely quarantining outside of that. The other side to what makes it safer is the concept of human trust and whether a person is optimistic, realistic, or pessimistic. For the pessimistic viewpoint, if I exist within a locker room and know of a) players/coaches/GMs/owners that are apparently out “having a good time” and complicit in such things as were present in the rumors of what was going on with the Washington Football Team, then I’m going to be less likely to trust my team not having an outbreak or b) by extension if I’m playing for a talented well run organization with tons of protocol in place and a lot of integrity in how they do things, but I KNOW other teams can be terribly run and may fall victim to an outbreak, I might feel as though I could potentially risk exposure through no hurt of my direct actions or the actions of those people within my team. There are 1600-1700 players or so in the league, much intermingling is going to happen. The prospect of an entire season happening feels like an optimistic viewpoint.

Those who haven’t opted out, who aren’t in the optimistic crowd are probably those who think that realistically the season will be postponed within the next 4-6 weeks anyway and thus If they play, they get paid more money than opting out and the chances that THEY are the player that gets the virus are low enough to justify the risk of getting that extra pay... along with the idea that playing well this season could ultimately lead to more money next season in a hopefully less Covid influenced offseason. FWIW if I were a player I would likely fall in the realistic camp and simply hope that I don’t end up exposed or that if I am exposed that I’m simply a carrier and asymptotic; the money would inspire me to play, though I’d hold out the hope that maybe the season comes back after a break and my team could win a Championship. Imagine being on a Super Bowl winning team and not getting to be a part of it because your opted out, that would hurt, and thus I would play for both realistic and fear of loss reasons.

Edited by diamondbull424