Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

7 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m hoping another corner goes to the market first and gets a lower deal. The more lower deals than that to happen the better the Ravens leverage is in pointing toward better negotiation precedents.

It's interesting to see teams who have current or potential cap issues agreeing to LT deals now despite continued uncertainty around future cap. Either they're dumb, or they know more about path forward than public knows (or some of each column).

If cap does go down / not increase, we may be better waiting a year on Marlon as it erodes his leverage (this goes for all of our pending player extensions). The whole market for them will be similarly impacted. That is, if the cap goes down by 10% then it's not like Marlon can demand the same deal as all other potential bidders have lost willingness to pay.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

It's interesting to see teams who have current or potential cap issues agreeing to LT deals now despite continued uncertainty around future cap. Either they're dumb, or they know more about path forward than public knows (or some of each column).

There are some complicated and serious variables involved, but I'm thinking (that at least teams are thinking) its more of the latter. The league may still make enough money without fans this year and *IF* this is a one year revenue blip, the cap will skyrocket back up and top of the market contracts will look cheap again in two years. May not be bad timing for the Ravens to lock down their core next offseason with the depressed cap figure out there. 

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

There are some complicated and serious variables involved, but I'm thinking (that at least teams are thinking) its more of the latter. The league may still make enough money without fans this year and *IF* this is a one year revenue blip, the cap will skyrocket back up and top of the market contracts will look cheap again in two years. May not be bad timing for the Ravens to lock down their core next offseason with the depressed cap figure out there. 

Oh definitely, of course. 

TV ratings may actually be way up this year, assuming the league doesn't go too far down the NBA path (I will leave it at that), which may improve the LT outlook of TV contract negotiations. That said, every business is isolating COVID impacts in analysis (this is what I do professionally, to some degree), so it's possible everything is a wash for future years.

My personal opinion is that it may make sense to go longer on our core guys for this very reason. The same AAV over an extra year or two for the Stanleys or Marlons. Barring a complete collapse, reversion, or gruesome injury, I expect Lamar to get a ten-year deal. It's a risk, but I think the long-term outlook for football revenues is way better than the 12-month outlook, maybe far more favorable a split than it's been at any point ever.

1 minute ago, sp6488 said:

"LJ Fort will play ILB!"

I am perhaps most confused by this item's inclusion...

Yea IDK. Maybe because he's a former Steeler?.. And there's no possible way he could contribute to another team if they didn't find a place for him 🤪

Regardless, Fort was one of our best players on Sunday.