Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

21 hours ago, BareYourTeeth said:

I'd be surprised. Should've just let Mcsorely go since they've still got Huntley on the PS.

Yea, I don't get the McSorely thing. Granted we haven't seen him play since last pre-season, but I haven't seen what makes him valuable enough to roster.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Yea, I don't get the McSorely thing. Granted we haven't seen him play since last pre-season, but I haven't seen what makes him valuable enough to roster.

I mean I get it. Lamar takes hits. If Lamar goes down, you’d want RG3 running the full scale of the offense. However RG3 is fragile, if we run the full scale and he gets injured with no additional QB rostered, you’re really in for a world of hurt.

While Lamar has generally been smart about the hits he takes, RG3 has a history of that not being the case and getting hurt. And we can’t be playing soft and still expect RG3 to be as effective as he might be with the full scale of the scheme behind it. McSorely would allow him to still play as loose and reckless as he needs to be as effective as he can be as a starter.

1 hour ago, drd23 said:

That's an argument for having a QB3, not an argument for McSorley. 

Maybe its just me, but I've never seen anything from him that warrants anything more than a PS spot. 

True but until there’s a quality argument for a better QB3, then it becomes very difficult to not have McSorely. Now I know there’s likely to be a good argument for Tyler Huntley as QB3 and I won’t disagree, but seeing as how McSorely has the experience and likely a better “command” of the entire offense (even if he’s seemingly worse), a generally vanilla coach like Harbaugh isn’t very likely to bank on the talent over the experience with executing a gameplan (even if he’s become more edgy over the years, particularly since Lamar’s introduction saved his job). Harbaugh’s got familiarity with seeing McSorely in game time last season, even if it were just preseason, he has no such proof with Huntley with their having been no preseason games, thus making it harder to elevate him above McSorely on the active roster.

So until a better 3rd QB option presents itself, (and considering Lamar is an MVP quarterback and RG3 likely a top 10 backup QB in the league) it makes little sense for another veteran to come in if better opportunities might present themselves elsewhere in a better scheme fit as well as where they find a better path to an opportunity. Thus any argument for a 3rd QB is essentially an argument for McSorely... for now.

This from the guy that was likely leading the bus on McSorely doesn’t look particularly special train... though I was also the guy who had McSorely in nearly every mock draft of ours that draft season prior, so I suppose my position on him has been quite dynamic in practice. But yeah at the NFL level against NFL competition, I’m afraid he’s probably got too much of a noodle arm to ever become anything special, I don’t think I realized just how bad his ball velocity was last season... unless, similar to Lamar he needed to adjust to the pros ball over the college one... and considering his height, he likely has smaller hands, and that might mean it’s a harder adjustment for him on that front and maybe left him with a worse grip that impacted his ball velocity at the NFL level.

2 hours ago, M.10.E said:

Need Lamar to pick it up.

I’m not exactly sure what DAKOTA rankings are, but here’s Lamar at mid season last year. Seems like it’s a metric that’s not particularly favorable to his game in general.