Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

3 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Culley is a lifelong WR coach, I don't think he is considered OC material. 

I don't think Roman would stay after being demoted. Mornhinweg didn't. Roman could probably be a HC for a college team, that seems more suited for him. 

I wonder if there is a coach from the Kubiak/Shanahan tradition that might work out. Someone who can get our O-line playing at a high level again, but also has some better passing concepts than Roman. 

He might be life long, but we’ve seen this movie before. Harbaugh brings Pagano in to coach defensive backs for a couple years, promotes him to DC. He brings Pees in to coach the LBs and then after a year promotes him to DC. Brings in Caldwell in as a QB coach, after about a year he promotes him to OC. He brings Roman in to coach TEs and after two years he promotes him to OC.

The only coach that was an outlier was when he hired Gary Kubiak as his OC outright and IIRC, I think at that point Caldwell had just left so we didn’t have an offensive coach already in the barrel to become OC. The Culley hire felt like he was insulating the spot in case Roman was hired as a HC elsewhere. Especially since we didn’t just bring him in as a WRs coach, but also attached the title of “Pass Game Coordinator” to it.

I’d also prefer to bring in an outside face, perhaps a college OC looking to jump into pro experience. Perhaps someone like Graham Harrell (formerly of the Packers) could come in and be a young offensive mind that has loads of experience in the Air Raid system just like Kliff Kibgsbury. It’s likely only a matter of time before he’s a HC anyway. But he could bring some serious creativity to our offensive attack.

• Like 1

Is there any actual proof of alleged harassment towards Matt Skura's wife/family? Screenshots, anything?

If it happened, obviously such behavior should be condemned totally. That said, the situation reeks of a guy deflecting from his bad performance with a "Do I really deserve this?" puppy dog plea.

Any level of celebrity will bring outlandish and yes bizarre/over the line commentary from the anonymous depths of the internet. From people with 1K subs on youtube, to literally any football player with a social media account. Frankly, it's part of the game. And the chip of "Look at the level of abuse I'm getting, instead of why I'm getting valid criticism" is commonly brought out when they need to deflect the most. 

We've had a ton of players more polarizing and known than Matt Skura have low low moments in primetime games. Yet these magic 'Spouse/Child threatening posters', either only decided to go after him or he's the only one who felt the need to call attention to online trolls.

IDK.  

22 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Is there any actual proof of alleged harassment towards Matt Skura's wife/family? Screenshots, anything?

If it happened, obviously such behavior should be condemned totally. That said, the situation reeks of a guy deflecting from his bad performance with a "Do I really deserve this?" puppy dog plea.

Any level of celebrity will bring outlandish and yes bizarre/over the line commentary from the anonymous depths of the internet. From people with 1K subs on youtube, to literally any football player with a social media account. Frankly, it's part of the game. And the chip of "Look at the level of abuse I'm getting, instead of why I'm getting valid criticism" is commonly brought out when they need to deflect the most. 

We've had a ton of players more polarizing and known than Matt Skura have low low moments in primetime games. Yet these magic 'Spouse/Child threatening posters', either only decided to go after him or he's the only one who felt the need to call attention to online trolls.

IDK.  

IIRC, it was on his instagram or something

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

IDK.  

I mean, I don't think he said anything to really deflect blame. It's one thing to criticize him or even target him specifically for his bad play, but its a whole 'nother thing to DM his wife and talk crap to her. Just my two cents.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I mean, I don't think he said anything to really deflect blame. It's one thing to criticize him or even target him specifically for his bad play, but its a whole 'nother thing to DM his wife and talk crap to her. Just my two cents.

He also straight up apologized for how bad he played, something he doesn't have to do.

I think you're way off base with that conspiracy theory of it all being a deflection DK.

IDK if you've actually read what Skura posted, but as AFS said he admitted he played poorly and unreservedly apologized for it.  As for needing evidence, given the number of times of idiots on social media do this sort of thing in all sorts of countries and sports, I don't think its far-fetched to believe that at least one loser (although its more likely to be many) said something inappropriate about his family

• Like 1

I'm not out for the guy's scalp. In general, I just don't like it when these situations blow up. Every player on the roster could find messages that step over the line when they want, just as they could put the spotlight on them whenever they want. The whole thing just added another layer of grime to an already dirty week for the club.

Like who is scrutinizing his family? "Hey you missed that block, probably cause you were up watching your needy kids"....lol That didn't happen.

And if his family received 'threatening' message as he alludes to here. Then he should go through law enforcement, not instagram... Again though, I don't think that truly happened. 

The whole message just seems weirdly constructed to me and comes off as fraudulent. Part 1- I accept responsibility for playing bad. Part 2- Please don't threaten my wife and children. Part 3- I will grow from this, on to the Titans yall.....

Em-NQzFXUAgsND_?format=jpg&name=small

4 minutes ago, drd23 said:

I think you're way off base with that conspiracy theory of it all being a deflection DK.

IDK if you've actually read what Skura posted, but as AFS said he admitted he played poorly and unreservedly apologized for it.  As for needing evidence, given the number of times of idiots on social media do this sort of thing in all sorts of countries and sports, I don't think its far-fetched to believe that at least one loser (although its more likely to be many) said something inappropriate about his family

It's not a conspiracy theory to suggest a public figure would say/bring attention to something to garner sympathy and favor during a period of harsh scrutiny. It happens literally every day, across countless professions. And often an admission of failure/error etc is key to the play, as Skura did. "Look guys I know I screwed up, but X,Y,Z is uncalled for".

I'm 100% sure someone did go too far in their critic of him. It's the internet. Was it something so outrageous he needed to bring special attention to it though? Or was it just the normal trash that our players and public figures have to sift through? That's what I question.

If Lamar made an issue about the messages he no doubt receives(after every game), or generally the abuse he and his take on online. We wouldn't have a needed/pertinent story on the team sneak through... ever- With every fan and journalist following the team unable to get off their soapbox in support of him.

@DreamKid I think you have to realize there are levels to notoriety/celebrity, and doing anything noteworthy on a national stage like SNF can put a very large magnifying glass on you. An obscure undrafted center on a team like the Ravens with ~9,000 instagram followers (probably a significant portion which are friends and family) who had (arguably) the worst game of his life and played a major role in the loss and then went onto (likely for the first time) become a top 5 trending topic on Twitter is not going to be well equipped to handle the backlash from what I can only assume are the overwhelming masses coming for his neck. For him to actually put out a message like that, I would have to assume this is uncharted territory for Skura, with crazies reaching out directly to his wife via DM to insult her (which is what I read on twitter).

All this to say, I'm completely for hating on Skura and absolutely want him benched/moved from center, but I don't fault him in the slightest for putting that statement out there to try and protect his family. Not his fault ESPN or whoever wants to run with the headline. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

I'm not out for the guy's scalp. In general, I just don't like it when these situations blow up. Every player on the roster could find messages that step over the line when they want, just as they could put the spotlight on them whenever they want. The whole thing just added another layer of grime to an already dirty week for the club.

Like who is scrutinizing his family? "Hey you missed that block, probably cause you were up watching your needy kids"....lol That didn't happen.

And if his family received 'threatening' message as he alludes to here. Then he should go through law enforcement, not instagram... Again though, I don't think that truly happened. 

The whole message just seems weirdly constructed to me and comes off as fraudulent. Part 1- I accept responsibility for playing bad. Part 2- Please don't threaten my wife and children. Part 3- I will grow from this, on to the Titans yall.....

It's not a conspiracy theory to suggest a public figure would say/bring attention to something to garner sympathy and favor during a period of harsh scrutiny. It happens literally every day, across countless professions. And often an admission of failure/error etc is key to the play, as Skura did. "Look guys I know I screwed up, but X,Y,Z is uncalled for".

I'm 100% sure someone did go too far in their critic of him. It's the internet. Was it something so outrageous he needed to bring special attention to it though? Or was it just the normal trash that our players and public figures have to sift through? That's what I question.

If Lamar made an issue about the messages he no doubt receives(after every game), or generally the abuse he and his take on online. We wouldn't have a needed/pertinent story on the team sneak through... ever- With every fan and journalist following the team unable to get off their soapbox in support of him.

I won’t castigate your take, if only because in the back of my head I too wondered if there was some deflection present. Though I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this... even if I still want him benched and/or removed from center.

He wont need to worry about his family being threatened, if only because, in my ideal world he’s not playing center again until his hand is fully healed. I’d put Ben Powers over at LG and move Skura to RG where he’d be most valuable. Brown at this point is a veteran and Bozeman is a veteran. I’d rather surround Powers with those two guys to help him best be comfortable. Whereas at RG Skura could assist Bozeman with the line checks, while also being able to provide a veteran presence to the assistance of Mekari and Fluker.

I also think the nature of that game, how we were such favorites over the Patriots, and how he was probably like 65% of the reason we lost that game... all likely contribute to this potentially being an outlier case where the fans were beyond heated with him to the point where they crossed far more lines than they might normally do... event the crazy/racist ones... though I’m sure Lamar probably did see similar attention after the Chargers playoff loss I’m sure. So on that front, I do agree with that element of your post. But on the other hand, I’m sure the nature of everything likely led to threats that went far further than internet trolls normally take things. So I think it’s more likely that these words are full sincere without the angle. Though I suppose we won’t ever know.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 2

Yea. I'm not looking at Matt Skura like he's a **** Dasterdly level schemer here,

Chain cleaner - EMTB Forums

I think he had a human reaction to a tough situation. I question aspects of what went down, but either way it certainly worked out for the charity he backs. So something good came out of it.

• Like 1